PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the 84-85 Tecate?

Yamaha_Rules69
07-04-2003, 12:12 AM
I was wondering what you owners/ past owners and riders of the Kawasaki Tecates thought about the trike? Im really looking into getting a 84-85 model, and I want your opinions on it. I guess what I really want to know is how well the suspension works out. I do a lot of racing around and jumping, so I need something good. Is the suspension both in front and back better than that of a 85 200x? I want to race in the upcomeing Quad cross competition, which is local to me, and need something fast.

As the trike sits now, it needs a lot of work. It needs a carburator, exhaust, and rear plastic for sure. It dosent run, I think the carb is messed up pretty bad, but its sitting in a shed, and out of the rain at least. All the bearings in the rear end are shot also. Its all sun faded and weather cracked from the previous owner. All the tires are rotten. The owner said he had it running last summer I think. What would you give for the trike as it sits? Im thinking I'm going to try and get a $100 bargin if he agrees. Let me know what u think, thanx again.

Ace Mon
07-04-2003, 01:06 AM
Offer the guy the 100$ . Remeber its difficult to get all of your money out of a bike that you put into it so dont plan on reselling it for a bundle. Ace

rippn250R
07-04-2003, 11:39 AM
I have an 85 tecate and its just plain fast!!!.The rear suspension is horrible and it wouldnt withstand big jumps. The 200x suspension is probably better. To fix that problem i bought an 85 250r shock and modified it alittle to fit on my tecate, and it works great.One other big problem with the tecate is the stator. They are known to blow out and mine did just that. So I would check the stator out right away. Other then that when you get yours running again you should be pleased.
Have fun!!!!!

tecatecrazy
07-04-2003, 05:56 PM
hey rippn, I am intereested to hear about you shock conversion. do you have any pics?---Joe 8)

Andrew
07-04-2003, 05:58 PM
i too have a 85 Tecate,im in the process of restoring and modifying it right now,but trailprotrailpro i tore it apart,let me tell u it was a screamer!,and everyone told me they are the MOST UNRELIABLE 2 STROKE TRIKE EVER MADE,but mine had a BAD oil leak,a gummed up carb,and i rode for 2 days straight with not 1 problem!(except putting crankcase oil in it every 3 hrs,lol)in my opinion they are not only the fastest trike ever made,but they are extremely reliable for a 2stroke,get that Tecate,u WILL NOT regret it! -D

Andrew
07-04-2003, 06:00 PM
oh ya and like tecate crazy said,please tell us about this shock conversion,i dont wanna get my blown shock rebuilt(because it will probably blow again anyway),that conversion would save time and money,please let us know,thanks

Trikeaholic
07-04-2003, 06:23 PM
I like my 85 model, and I did jump it at Haspin this year, ( if you would call that a jump) I rode it around the MX track quite a few times. It did have some front end "wobble" on decelleration, but that may be bad stem bearings, I dont know.

rippn250R
07-04-2003, 08:00 PM
sorry i dont have an pics of the finished conversion but i can tell you how i did it.The top of the 250r shock was almost the same as the tecate one so it fit in the linkage perfect. The only modifying i had to do was to where the bottom of the shock went to the mount. I took that off and grinded it down alittle on both sides to make the shock fit perfect. Since the 250r bottom of the shock was mounted to a linkage i had to make a sleeve to fill in the gap.The R shock is alittle longer than the tecate one so i had to compress the shock alittle to make it fit. Also the resevior is on the top of the R shock instead of the bottom so i had to put it on the down bar next to the silencer. This probably sounds alot more complacated then it really is, but it's not to hard to do. If i had pics it would be easier to exlpain.
It may not sound like it works but i really does and its a muck better ride then the tecate shock.

Yamaha_Rules69
07-08-2003, 01:52 PM
I am absolutely 100% sure im going to pick up the trike tonight. The guy has been busy, and I havent had the chance to get it yet. He said he wants to keep all the tires off it, but I assume the rims come with at least. How hard is it to find parts for? I see some parts on ebay, but there arent a whole lot. Does anyone have some used fenders on here they would be willing to sell me in the future? I dont care if their red or green kawasaki, but I need front and back, and maybe a seat too, dont know yet. Does anyone know where I can get a good working used carb? I'll try to get some pics up sometime soon.

On a side note, I was wondering how fast these machines top out at stock? I want to give my neighbor who owns a stock 400ex a run for his money. He talks so much crap about trikes, and its time to teach him a lesson. twisted

Rippin250R, I would like to see a pic of that shock conversion. I'll believe it when I see it. Peace.

Jeb
07-08-2003, 03:08 PM
I think it will top out in the low 60s. But you will destroy a 400ex in acceleration, no doubts there. If you can keep the front end down. practice starts before you race and use that clutch!! You need to get a feel for where the hit in the power-band is so it doesn't catch you off guard.

I have a pretty decent red tank and blue seat I could part with. possibly a useable red factory rear fender. Also have some decent stock 84 rear rims with 22x11-10 fast treker tires and a stock 84 front with stock dunlop tire, among a few other parts i have left. pm or email me if interested!

:-D

Yamaha_Rules69
07-08-2003, 04:15 PM
Jeb, I sent you a pm. )

Anyone else have any parts? Let me know what u got for future refrence. Thanx. -D