PDA

View Full Version : guys please help atc 911

robertmitch85
01-08-2009, 11:40 PM
ok so, i have got some problems. first off im not sure what the carrier is, all i know is i have a 1985 200x, and the bearings are gone in the rear, i have the wheels off, ihave the sprocket off, and the disc and disc retainer, but the axle just wont slide out. i know it has to come out to the left due to the spline where the sprocket goes is pressed on. i have pounded on it for ever, and wont budge????? I might sound like an idiot but i have only worked on dirt bikes, any suggestions??? only have minor hand tools and little money.

oscarmayer
01-09-2009, 01:23 PM
go to the link in my sig and download the manual.

SYKO
01-09-2009, 01:43 PM
soak the rear axle/bearings with generous amounts of PB blaster after a few hours set up a 2x6 wood peice against the right end of the axle and hit it with something very heavy like a 10lb sledge.

I had a 200x axle that was like that, i took the swinger off with the axle in it, and if you can visualize this I swung the swinger/axle combo into the pavement on the right side and the axle came flying out the other side into the air!

It also helps if your an oversize human to do this as well.

good luck.

robertmitch85
01-09-2009, 03:17 PM
well im gunna try soakinging it, also i was told to use a torch????? but shouldnt this make the metal expand???

seddon
01-09-2009, 06:19 PM
it is all rusted up so the heat will help it slide out

robertmitch85
01-09-2009, 11:32 PM
ok so after about 8 hours, lots of wd 40 and break free, and air hammer, rubber mallet, sledge hammer, torch and grinder, i finally got my new bearings in. but after installing EVERYTHING i just found out that the hub nut wont go on, due to me slipping with the air hammer and hitting the threads, man!!!! i tried to be carefull, but it didnt work out, do you think i can take my trike to a machine shop and have them re thread the axle???? what about while its on the bike, the axle is in great shape besides the stipped threads, suprisingly not really any wear on the area the bearings roll on, every thing fits real tight

SYKO
01-09-2009, 11:34 PM
get a triangle rat tail file and file the threads back straight, Ive done that before.

robertmitch85
01-09-2009, 11:39 PM
they are way gone!!!!, i mean really bad i think when i hit the 2x4 and it split in 2 I smacked the threads.

Gripit'n'ripit
01-10-2009, 12:20 AM
I had that happen to me a little bit ago while working on my friends quad. We weren't paying attention and trashed the threads on one end of the axle. We cut new threads with an old school pipe threader. The nut went on pretty tough the first time, but since it's been fine.