PDA

View Full Version : 1980 Honda 110

1985BigRed250ES
01-05-2009, 02:13 AM
I have a 1980 Honda 110 that the spark plug hole is stripped(sp?) out. anybody ever have this problem? if so, how did you repair it? I'm also looking for a whole recoil starter, front sprocket, rear fender brackets(where it latches) and a new (or used) seat in good condition. also the rear rim on the left side is leaking where the two halves meet. Anybody know where I can get one? (other than honda) Also on the slide in the top of the carb, the needle with the 'E' clip on it, is there supposed to be something else in there to hold the needle in place? If so what is it called,(so I'll know what I'm looking for).

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Jordan

Nick_R_23
01-05-2009, 02:40 AM
To fix the spark plug hole you *might* be able to have a tap run through it and it will be fine, depends on how bad it is stripped. It should be done with the head off since it can get metal shavings and dirt into the cylinder. If its stripped really bad, you can take it down to a machine shop and have them drill it out for a larger thread spark plug, or you can just buy another head. 110 engine parts run pretty cheap.

Recoil and fender brackets you can find on ebay or a local ATV salvage yard or in the classifieds here. Front sprocket you should be able to get from www.hyperparts.com, and its usually a good idea to replace both sprockets chain all at once, otherwise they can wear prematurely. The seat you might be able to recover yourself if the pan and foam is in good shape. Otherwise, ebay or classifieds again.

The leak in your rim if its in between the 2 halves is due to a bad or missing o-ring. Should be like 5$ from the dealer, or you could pick up a junk rim at the salvage yard for the o-ring, or just run a bead of silicone where the o-ring went.

There is supposed to be a 'U' shaped clip that sits over the needle to hold it down. You can probably grab one from a junk carb or pick one up from the dealer. A carb kit would probably include one, and being as old as these machines are it could most likely use a kit anyway.

Hope this helps!!

-Nick :TrikesOwn

1985BigRed250ES
01-05-2009, 03:00 AM
I will have to try the tap on the head. if I wind up taking the head off, is there anything that I need to look for?

The fender brackets I think I might know where I can get some not sure though.

The carb had a rebuild kit put in it Jan of 2008. I did not notice it until now that there was not a U shaped piece in the slide to hold the needle down, reasoning for that Is that the ATC has not ran in a year.

as far as the O-ring between the two rim halves, I will just get one from the dealer.

mgenest
01-05-2009, 08:13 AM
Being that this is an 80 110, I can tell you an easy way to fix the plug problem. Change the plug to a bigger diameter thread and work it in like a tap. Worked perfect on my 85 110 and only took about 10 minutes to do. I will tell you plug to use a little later as I will check mine and post back.

Blown 331
01-05-2009, 10:11 AM
If you tap it on the bike. I would recommend getting it on top dead center of the compression stroke so the valves are closed. Then pack the tap with grease, most of the shavings should stick to the grease and not fall in the cyinder. But then just to be sure, blow the cylinder out with compressed air, remember to keep it on top dead center of the compression stroke to keep the valves closed.

oscarmayer
01-05-2009, 10:40 AM
instead of blowing them out, take a straw or tube to a shop vac hose end and vaccume the shavings out.

mgenest
01-05-2009, 03:20 PM
B8HS is the plug I used. Don't worry to much about shavings as the head is made out of white aluminum and will melt if they get in with the piston.

1985BigRed250ES
01-05-2009, 03:38 PM
thanks for the help guys, I think that i will try the B8HS plug for the head. I was going to take the head off an decided not to. I twisted both exhaust studs off. there is still a good bit left, is there anyway to get these studs out of the head and just replace with new ones? I'm also looking for an exhaust as the muffler and pipe is rotted.

Jordan

oscarmayer
01-05-2009, 03:48 PM
drill and retap. you can drill it out and tape to the next size up of you want.
stock i beleive is a 6mmx1.25 thread, so you coudl drill to 6mmx1.25 again if you want. usually by the time the studs are in there, they pretty much welded themselves in and are not comming out.

mgenest
01-05-2009, 03:50 PM
The plug will work great, don't bother removing the head. Try some PB blaster on the studs over night then use vise grips.

www.dratv.com

will have everything you need - new studs, cobra exhaust $109 (can't beat this price for a full system). I would also recommend the cam for $25 makes a huge differnece.

1985BigRed250ES
01-06-2009, 02:06 AM
thanks for the help guys, I m going to get her running and then start restoring it. the motor (what little time it has ran) as far as I can tell, doesnt smoke/burn oil. I think I will strip everything off in the next couple of months and clean/ repair/replace everything and then paint the frame and get some new fenders from maier. amybody know where I can get a headlight switch for the 110?

Jordan

Autophysn
01-07-2009, 04:40 AM
mgenest> you rock bro, I have this exact bike, the 1980 ATC 110. It is a great bike and I have not had the problem brought up here, but it is good to know that a simple fix like that could avoid a major headache. I probly would have pulled the head. Then one thing leads to another, and before you know it, my little 110 just turned into a race horse:lol:

mgenest
01-07-2009, 08:10 AM
No Problem. Happy to share all my tips learned along the way.

1985BigRed250ES
01-08-2009, 01:53 AM
I have a problem. I found the old plug and its a NGK B8HS. So needless to say, I dont think the plug trick will work with mine unless I can get a bigger diameter plug for it than the B8HS.:( So do I need to go to a machine shop know or can I put the heli-coil in it that I got to fit the B8HS plug? If the heli-coil will work, what do I need to install it? sorry for the many questions, but I am new at this.

Nick_R_23
01-08-2009, 02:13 AM
How stripped out is it really? Can you just run a tap down the treads and have it work?

-Nick :TrikesOwn

mgenest
01-08-2009, 09:02 AM
What I did was call the plug manufacturer of the stock plug and asked if they had the same rated plug but with the bigger threeads. That is how I got the B8HS plug.

Sounds like someone already did the plug trick on your bike??

1985BigRed250ES
01-08-2009, 09:50 PM
I guess somebody already used the plug trick before I won the atc off of ebay back in 2006. I put a spark plug in it and as soon as it fires, it will shoot the plug out. Will a heli-coil work, I would just hate to keep putting a bigger plug in it. I would like to fix it right, but unsure how. I believe that a heli-coil is the best way to go. anybody have any dealings with these???

Jordan

racerxxx
01-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Bigred,

We use helicoils at work all the time. Everything we make is aluminum, and all the hardware we use is stainless. If the alum gauls on the stainless--it's done, helicoils are the trick. You can probably get a kit from Mcmaster.com. It will come with the correct oversize drill, tap, helicoils and insert tool. There are several different kinds so pay attention ---with a "tang" and without, if you get the tang it must be broken off, tape the tang to the tool so when you break it off it won't drop in. Also check out "timesert" they are inserts for sparkplugs, not sure if they have the correct size. To find other companies that are like timesert google for ford 4.6 or 5.4 spark plug repair. My brother in laws expedition blew the plug out of the cylinder on his way home, he bought this type of kit, which reams, then taps, then you insert the insert and viola your back in action. I would not be alarmed about getting crap in the cylinder, spin it up close to TDC---pay attention when your running a tap in there that you don't hit the piston, shop vac it out, get it running and then go flog :beer on that 110. I have an 81 and 82 110, just dug one out after sitting for 15+ years and she still runs---ya can't killem!:lol:

Racerxxx