PDA

View Full Version : 350x exhaust....it's too loud!

73atc70
01-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Alright guys, you gotta forgive me for this but my exhaust on my 350x is too loud! I wish I could just leave it alone but I've sort of turned in to "that guy" out at my lake cabin this winter. I have a full DG exhaust system on my 85x and I am wondering if there are any quieter exhaust systems you guys can suggest that will give me the same feel of the DG. I am not sure what stock exhaust is like on my trike because it had the DG system on it when I got it. I hear a lot about super trapp and I've seen a few cobra systems but they look pretty similar to the DG and I'm guessing it would be about as loud. I love the look of the chrome DG exhaust and would hate to get rid of the look but it's not much fun having Mr. Sheriff chasing me down all day long! Or should I just look for a nice stock replacement? Will I notice any loss in power with a stock pipe or any other systems for that matter?
I just wanna ride in peace!!...well somewhat anyways.....it is still a "3-wheeled death trap" ;) ;)

userj8670
01-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Oh no...its never to loud!!!;)

seddon
01-02-2009, 06:41 PM
yea what he said

SWIGIN
01-02-2009, 06:45 PM
i made this out of a newer yz dirtbike silencer for my 350RX....i would just fit a new silencer to your header.

the turn down really keeps the sound down. my quad is loudest when your sitting on it since the ground soaks up the sound.

Dirtcrasher
01-02-2009, 07:23 PM
The 450R conversion stock exhaust with the HRC tip - IMHO offers gains yet isn't annoying loud. Maybe I could record a sound clip with the camcorder I got for Xmas :D

Cobra - Loud
Supertrapp - Loud
DG - Loud

I'm not "opposed" to loud but it pisses people off, gets riding areas shut down and gets more attention from police.

Remember that sadly unless your on your property your trespassing and where I live the parks won't allow ATV's. So I have to be polite, if possible...............

userj8670
01-02-2009, 07:56 PM
The 450R conversion stock exhaust with the HRC tip - IMHO offers gains yet isn't annoying loud. Maybe I could record a sound clip with the camcorder I got for Xmas :D

Cobra - Loud
Supertrapp - Loud
DG - Loud

I'm not "opposed" to loud but it pisses people off, gets riding areas shut down and gets more attention from police.

Remember that sadly unless your on your property your trespassing and where I live the parks won't allow ATV's. So I have to be polite, if possible...............

Good point that i hate to admit

ironchop
01-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Alright guys, you gotta forgive me for this but my exhaust on my 350x is too loud! I wish I could just leave it alone but I've sort of turned in to "that guy" out at my lake cabin this winter.
I just wanna ride in peace!!...well somewhat anyways.....it is still a "3-wheeled death trap" ;) ;)

I won`t forgive you....I agree with you

I`m happy to make a few concessions with neighbors out of respect for others...and if all they ask for is a little more quiet, I would put a stocker on my trail machine as well in a heart beat...

I have a neighbor who lives on one side of me and my neighbor on the other side has quads dirtbikes and a huge track in his field behind my house...he always let`s us all ride our machines and his machines back there but asks if we will lay off during deer season so he can hunt...no problem with that

my other neighbor actually sold me his ATC 200S...one day we had a big weekend party with friends and family camping and my other neighbor and our gang were out back tearing S#$* up raising LOTS of racket with 2 2-strokes and 8 4-strokes...the other neighbor came over and asked if we`d ride around the dirt corner of the track behind him because his wife just got done cleaning their (OLD log cabin)....the dust was so bad it was seeping thru the cracks in his doors, widows, and walls that we had inadvertantly trashed the house she just cleaned

He never asked us to stop riding...only to change the course a bit for his wife

Some of the less-respectful folks that were at our house that weekend began drunkenly shouting stuff till I put an immediate stop to that crap...disrespectful...My other neighbor and I went next door and apologized to his wife for the mess and offered to STOP RIDING...she refused having us stop riding and noted that she only wished we would detour that section

Neighbor with that track also happens to own a landscape company and came up with a plan....he had a tow-behind 75 gallon sprayer for his quad so we pumped water out of the pond and wet the whole track for an hour to eliminate the dust

in the end , our neighbors appreciated the compromises we were willing to make with them so we all could live in harmony and since they were nice enough not to demand we quit riding our deathtraps and be respectful to us, we could be nothing other than respectful to them in return

Nobody wants to be "that guy"...so I see nothing wrong with wanting to be quieter BEFORE anyone gets mad and complains...and besides, when you try to be respectful it makes ALL ATVers look a little more respectful

beets442
01-02-2009, 08:37 PM
I would go with the stock set-up too. You won't lose that much power to notice. I just put a DG on mine last summer and can't hear my friend when he rolls up to tell me something. But when I want to ride around the hood,(when It's snowing only) there is concern. The problem can be removing the old exhaust W/O breaking the studs. Good Luck Beets

73atc70
01-03-2009, 12:14 AM
I think I'll be shopping for a stock system then...is there any way I could use my DG head pipe and just slide the stock muffler on there, or would that still be just as loud since the pipe coming out of the head is bigger? I don't have any of the local people upset with me yet since it is more of a summer place and there are few permanent residents, but some of my fellow ice fisherman don't enjoy hearing my rediculously loud DG exhaust all day. If anybody here has ever seen North Dakota in the winter you would know what I mean haha....it's so flat that you can hear me coming for miles...literally.
Like ironchop said, just trying to take care of this before it becomes too big of an issue....and the sheriff tried getting me for a noise ordinance. I had to laugh a little since it was about 15 miles to the nearest town.

KASEY
01-03-2009, 12:40 AM
remember these words!! "LESS SOUND MORE GROUND" that was the moto of a grassroots effort in washington state to keep riding areas open,,,, nobody wants to listen to a loud whatever buzzing around and around and around it gets irritating,,, i am a fan of quiet i hate the new big bore four strokes,,, they are just plain LOUD with aftermarket pipes,,, keep it quiet keep on riding,,,

DixiePlowboy
01-03-2009, 12:46 AM
Good form!

I'd say go back with a stock system. You won't lose much power, but you will gain a bit of respect by showing respect for others.

THEN: I used to be the kid with the obnoxiously loud wheeler, and I did nothing to help myself or the sport. We used to pull the baffles out of our DG's, Kerkers, Bassanis, Sand Scorchers, etc.... and iritate everyone. Guess I grew out of all that.

NOW: I may(just might) leave the stock exhaust on my Tecate for awhile. I've seen wayyyy too many ride spots gated up, posted, and locked down.

aldochina
01-03-2009, 01:33 AM
I'm also for the stocker, especially on the 350x, its got plenty of power anyway. plus the machine is designed to run perfectly with a stock system. These guys that just change pipes crack me up. You arnt doing the mod any justice unless you tune the rest of the motor for the new pipe. you can get decent stock headers fairly cheap off ebay + such, so I'd look for a full stocker.

300rman
01-03-2009, 02:14 AM
i"d try to mod a stock silencer to the aftermarket header, as the new header will look way cooler. the aftermarket header shouldnt make a difference in noise, its all in the silencer ;)

birddogg
01-03-2009, 02:52 AM
Oh no...its never to loud!!!;)

If you want to be treated with respect, you have to respect those around you. Not everyone is a avid dirtbike/ATV enthusiast. In fact, most people view us as hell-raising, knuckle-draggers that contribute nothing to society. They believe that we're out to destroy the environment on our fossil-fuel burning, erosion-inducing, death machines. I want to thank you for reinforcing that stereotype.

Unless you're on a closed course you really don't have any reason to be running a "race" muffler. I've been riding for over 25 years and have yet to see any situation where I needed a race exhaust out on the trail. Torque is your best friend in the woods, and you usually give that up to a certain extent when you swap out for a free-flowing exhaust. I run an aftermarket headpipe with a stock muffler on any bike that I plan to ride aggressively. If not, I keep it stock

I understand that these three-wheelers are getting old, and in a lot of cases the stock exhausts were either lost long before it came into your possession, or it simply rotted away, and the aftermarket was your only option. The best you can do is stay off the throttle around people's houses and try not to ride after dark.

Loud pipes are for attention-starved Harley riders or arrogant, pre-teen, punks who might be struggling with their sexuality,(that's my best guess, why else you want attention from other men? Women generally don't care for loud bikes, or aren't out on the trails to hear them in the first place) and racers.

Sorry for the rant, but this issue drives me nuts. I can't see how something this simple can't be recognized by so many people. Environmentalists hate us as it is. Why give them a reason to write a strongly-worded letter to their congressman? That's all it takes to get the wheels turning. The reason why we aren't riding an 08' ATC350x is because some one complained, and the spineless weasels at the top always appease the squeaky wheel. Stay off the radar! It's that simple.

Erics350x
01-03-2009, 12:19 PM
The Cobra Steel version isn't loud at all, just ask Syko or anyone else who's heard mine.

aldochina
01-03-2009, 01:35 PM
looks like a nice stock can, price is 50 plus 19.99 ship, not to bad i guess

Sargon2112
01-05-2009, 12:37 AM
I had the same issue with my 350X... I ride mostly at night on game management land and I had rather not draw attention.

Anyway, I got a stocker off ebay for around 70 bucks shipped. Very little (if any) noticeable power loss.