PDA

View Full Version : what could a 1984 atc 250r be compaired to?

thejake456
01-02-2009, 02:28 PM
like would it be faster than a 85 cr250? both being stock? know i know all you guys are gonna be saying there is alot of veriables and i know that but just say the both were in controled environments. what would be the difference in power and speed?

Blown 331
01-02-2009, 02:29 PM
The 85 CR250 is gonna be a lot faster. It's lighter and it's a liquid cooled motor which made more power than the air cooled engines that they replaced.

sbjones73
01-02-2009, 02:54 PM
i agree with blown. but if you go back to like the late 70's cr then that would be very close. i had a '79 cr 250 that is very comparable to my 84 250r.

i really think the thing that hurts the 84 and earlier 250r's is that they are only 5 speeds instead of 6. man that extra gear make a difference. but just think if it had 6. wow these things would rip!!!!!!!

thejake456
01-02-2009, 03:06 PM
what about the 125's

Dirtcrasher
01-02-2009, 07:32 PM
There fast, fast as hell!! But with an all or nothing powerband.

You can't "lug" it around. Someone will say "jetting, pipe and other mods make it usable" etc etc and I'm sure it is very true if you have the time and patience to try and tune it.

It's all in what you want. Seems like younger people that live with MOM are very happy with a 2 stroke they hold wide open and hang on for dear life!! When you smash into your backhoe in 3rd gear pinned and land 60 feet away, you tend to adjust your both your riding technique and the type of vehicle you choose to ride :lol:

Hoosier_Daddy
01-02-2009, 07:53 PM
There fast, fast as hell!! But with an all or nothing powerband.

You can't "lug" it around. Someone will say "jetting, pipe and other mods make it usable" etc etc and I'm sure it is very true if you have the time and patience to try and tune it.

It's all in what you want. Seems like younger people that live with MOM are very happy with a 2 stroke they hold wide open and hang on for dear life!! When you smash into your backhoe in 3rd gear pinned and land 60 feet away, you tend to adjust your both your riding technique and the type of vehicle you choose to ride :lol:
I've never seen anybody say something like that about 2 strokes? I don't think it has anything to do with age, it has to do with what kind of excitement you enjoy. If you want to lug around like an old man then that's fine, get a 4 stroke. If you want to go fast, get a 2 stroke. And reguardless of what you buy, never ride fast on a trail you aren't familiar with. Knowing your trails will erase your chance of slamming into a backhoe. BTW, how could a person not see a backhoe in time to stop? lol;)

beets442
01-02-2009, 08:45 PM
i agree with blown. but if you go back to like the late 70's cr then that would be very close. i had a '79 cr 250 that is very comparable to my 84 250r.

i really think the thing that hurts the 84 and earlier 250r's is that they are only 5 speeds instead of 6. man that extra gear make a difference. but just think if it had 6. wow these things would rip!!!!!!!......+ 1.... Thats what my friend and I say too. My(350 X) could take my friend on his 250r. But I have the top end. He rebuilt his and he's been beating me lately. His fresh top end made the diff. We've raced each other alot. We both wheely of the start and I take him more often than not. Oh. yea Bassani made a nice pipe for a little more midrange., but they're hard to find. Beets

Dirtcrasher
01-02-2009, 08:50 PM
At that particular point in my life, I was a wide open throttle junky - which is just what a 2 stroke likes....... If I didn't work for 8 weeks I wouldn't have lost everything.

I guess you should have been at TF08 to see how an "old man" four stroke rider keeps up :lol: Trust me, nobody ever has to wait for DC to catch up :D

This is part of the reason people are switching to modern 4 strokes. Not only are the parts more available and updated, but the power is much more manageable than 25 year old technology. I've ridden very few 2 strokes that were tuned for low RPM woods type riding. IMO 2 strokes are better suited for MX, SX, Flattrack, Ice racing and other situations where the higher RPM's are used.

BTW - It was my backhoe on my trail, I was simply going too fast. If I had another 2 stroke tomorrow, I'd probably still use too much throttle and the outcome would be about the same. I'm just glad I know my limitations.......

tecat-z
01-02-2009, 08:55 PM
I actually think stock 250r's and tri-z's are very "rideable" Really nothing abrupt about them. Low compression, conservative porting, and restricted intake and exhaust make them smoooooth. Not to mention all of the flywheel weight to keep them hooked up. And old Elsinores 78-80 ripped. If you were beating or keeping up with one of those bikes, i can assure you it wasn't running correctly. And this is not meant as a rip either. Those bikes were, and still are fast!

Blown 331
01-02-2009, 09:01 PM
I actually think stock 250r's and tri-z's are very "rideable" Really nothing abrupt about them. Low compression, conservative porting, and restricted intake and exhaust make them smoooooth. Not to mention all of the flywheel weight to keep them hooked up.

What about Tecates? :lol:

The Goat
01-02-2009, 09:36 PM
first 2 stroke I ever sat on was schmees 250r...it'll go, I'll give you that, but it's manageable...and not scary.

now the 300r...I haven't sat on that one...and have no intention of doing so.

personally I'm after a 500r these days.

cr480r
01-02-2009, 09:44 PM
What about Tecates? :lol:

they are managble too... top-end pipes and wild porting is where the hard hitting abrupt slap you in the face type powerbands come from..

Hoosier_Daddy
01-02-2009, 10:35 PM
At that particular point in my life, I was a wide open throttle junky - which is just what a 2 stroke likes....... If I didn't work for 8 weeks I wouldn't have lost everything.

I guess you should have been at TF08 to see how an "old man" four stroke rider keeps up :lol: Trust me, nobody ever has to wait for DC to catch up :D

This is part of the reason people are switching to modern 4 strokes. Not only are the parts more available and updated, but the power is much more manageable than 25 year old technology. I've ridden very few 2 strokes that were tuned for low RPM woods type riding. IMO 2 strokes are better suited for MX, SX, Flattrack, Ice racing and other situations where the higher RPM's are used.

BTW - It was my backhoe on my trail, I was simply going too fast. If I had another 2 stroke tomorrow, I'd probably still use too much throttle and the outcome would be about the same. I'm just glad I know my limitations.......I hope my post didn't come across wrong. I wasn't meaning to call you an old man. I was just saying putting around like an old man. Expressions don't show in type and i have to learn to use different words when I type. I meant no offense. Also, I laughed at the hitting a backhoe part, but I didn't want you to think i thought it was funny because that wouldn't be funny to have happen. It's just one of those things you can look back on and have a laugh about. Like the time I punched myself in the face when the pull rope on my 200S broke. It wasn't funny then but it's silly now.

300rman
01-03-2009, 02:19 AM
my 300r is VERY luggable, its great for out-of-powerband yard-wheelies.

TONS of low-end power for a 2 stroke motor.

and when it hits the powerband....hold on to your nuts!

sbjones73
01-03-2009, 04:46 AM
yeah my old '79 elsinore would tear some stuff up. but when it came to top speed i would get caught by some of the newer (at the time) 125 bikes. low end was pretty dang unreal. my 84 250r is really dang close to what i remember of my elsinore. i wish i would have never sold that thing!!!!!!!!! young and dumb at the time! that was like 20 or so years ago for me

Nick_R_23
01-03-2009, 07:35 AM
my 300r is VERY luggable, its great for out-of-powerband yard-wheelies.

TONS of low-end power for a 2 stroke motor.

and when it hits the powerband....hold on to your nuts!

Was that you that had the 250r motor with the weird crank problem, the piston sat too high or something? What ever became of that?

-Nick :TrikesOwn

250rred-black
06-25-2011, 12:22 AM
well my 84 250r will beat any stock 85 i got shaved heads piston reads pipe all aluminum frame an nos super light wheels and im 120 pounds plus i got double carb an run on only racing fuel

three_wheelin45
06-25-2011, 01:57 AM
I hope my post didn't come across wrong. I wasn't meaning to call you an old man. I was just saying putting around like an old man. Expressions don't show in type and i have to learn to use different words when I type. I meant no offense. Also, I laughed at the hitting a backhoe part, but I didn't want you to think i thought it was funny because that wouldn't be funny to have happen. It's just one of those things you can look back on and have a laugh about. Like the time I punched myself in the face when the pull rope on my 200S broke. It wasn't funny then but it's silly now.

:lol::lol: thats freakin hilarious im still giggling, ((the 200s pull starter part))

dksix
06-25-2011, 11:18 AM
As some of you may remember, I got a 350X that had been swapped to a 84 CR250 engine. I also just got an 84 Tecate. Riding back to back on the 2, there is no comparison. The CR engine is brutal, no bottom, no mid and the top end hits like a light switch. The Tecate feels like a 200X after riding the CR powered trike. I don't think I would ever have the skill to ride the CR powered trike anywhere but on open ground but it's fun when you can just let it go. That's why I decided to set it up in the 84CR250 frame and make it a flat tracker trike. As far as a 2 stroke being made to be managable, it can happen. My last bike was a KX250 and it would lug right with the XR400 my freind rode. It took a pipe, silencer, smaller carb, 16 oz. flywheel weight and 1 down on the front, 2 up on the rear sprockets to get it there but I was (IMO) a great trail bike. From what I know the 2 stroke trike engines were low on power compared to the same year MX bikes, add in the extra weight of the trike and it's going to take allot to get them to run side by side in a drag race.

DC, you aren't old, just VINTAGE----LOL