PDA

View Full Version : New to the forums

1985BigRed250ES
01-02-2009, 02:57 AM
I have a 1985 Honda BigRed 250es that I have been working on that belongs to my 70yr old grandfather. the trike has never been abused or neglected. It however has a electrical problem. It started with the nwutral light going out while trying to start with the electric start. Long story short, it was a broken wire under the tank. it was the black wire. I noticed that it was doing it again. my repair job didnt hold together(should have fixed it right to begin with). when I tore back into the wire loom, I repaired the black wire once again, but noticed that a green wire(smaller gauge than the black wire.)(has to do with the reverse light). it was nearly cut into. I went to repair it and got one end of the wire stripped back. the other end when I stipped it back, about 6" of the wire insulation come off with no wire in it. so now I need about 6" of wire to repair it right and I dont know what gauge wire that is. I let the green wire touch the black wire and it poped a fuse somewhere because there is no power to the wheeler anywhere. :(

http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/Wiring/ATC250ESx85.jpg here is a link to the wiring diagram if it helps.

Jordan

sbjones73
01-02-2009, 03:38 AM
well if you look at the wiring schematic that you show. the dg wire is probably what you have (dargk green) and that is the ground wire. so check out all of your fuses and replace the fuse. as far as the wire size. if you don't know, take the insulation to the store with you and match it up.

it sounds like you just touched a power wire to a ground wire (shorted the circuit) it should be a simple fuse replacement, from the there and repair wire. i hope that nothing else got damaged when it shorted.

good luck and welcome to the site!!!!!!

good luck

sbjones73
01-02-2009, 03:43 AM
check the 20 amp fuse by the battery, that should be the fuse.

good luck again !!!!!!!

torker
01-02-2009, 10:34 AM
14 ga. new, good quality cable should do it, if you're not picky like I am. Just don't use speaker wire.
Make sure you have a good conection, with good conectors or better yet, soldering the cables and shrinking tubing for cable protection and water proofing.
That should take care of it for a loooooong time. :beer :beer :beer

And :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: to the forums.

TORKER.

1985BigRed250ES
01-02-2009, 03:58 PM
thanks for the replys, guys.

I went to the parts store this morning and got some connectors and a roll of 14ga. wire to repair the green wire with. I got it repaired and got the main fuse replaced and the wheeler fired up! I think it has another bad spot in the wiring where it goes under the headlight assembly. the neutral light still goes out if i turn the handlebars, but if i pull on the wire loom above the repair site, I can get the neutral light to come back on. I think it may be better the replace the whole wiring harness with a new one. anybody know what one might cost?

Jordan :TrikesOwn

1985 Honda BigRed 250es in family since new
1980 Honda ATC 110
1998 Honda Foreman 450s 4x4
2005 Honda Recon 250ES

hublake
01-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Welcome to the board. I have had an 85 BR since new also. Just restored it a year ago. It might be hard to find a new wiring harness, don't know if Honda still sells one. There are always some used ones on ebay, but chances what you have are just as good. Can't beat a BR.

SWIGIN
01-02-2009, 04:38 PM
harness swap?

just fix the short

1985BigRed250ES
01-03-2009, 02:23 AM
i guess i will just repair the bad spots on the BR. While I'm working on the front end of the trike, i want to rebuild the brakes and put new boots on the shocks. the tire that is on the front is 25x12x9 and it has rubbed the boots into. anybody know of a tire that is the same size but will not rub the shocks?

Jordan

sbjones73
01-03-2009, 04:32 AM
man trying to find a wiring harness will be costly i think. honestly the only place i could even think of would be atcheaven.com

i would just trace the wire and replace the entire thing. don't keep on splicing the wire. you could be creating more of a problem for later in the years. do it right the 1st time and it will give you plenty of hours and years!!!!!!!!

good luck

1985BigRed250ES
01-03-2009, 09:28 PM
thanks guys. I'm going to replace the entire wire. Does anybody know of a tire that is 25x12x9 that will not rub the front shock boots?? it has some walmart tires on it that has been on it since 1990 and they still have 85% tread on them, but they are too wide. and they are factory size.

Jordan

ditchmud
01-04-2009, 03:11 AM
They must be trailpro!

Hair Bear Bunch
01-04-2009, 06:34 AM
:wondering My Br has a new tp on the front and that doesn't rub the fork boots at 3psi. What pressure has yours got?

1985BigRed250ES
01-04-2009, 11:13 AM
their not trail pros, more like trail busters or something like that. they are very similar to the tire in the above post. My grandfather runs like 6-8psi in them. we have already replaced one front shock because the boot got tore and it got mud/water in it and it froze up. I was just trying to keep from replacing the other shock.

oscarmayer
01-04-2009, 04:05 PM
here's what I woudl do it it were me. I'd go online and order all the simular color wiring.
then take each take the harness off the bike and make a simular harness minus the connectors. then when that's done, cut the connectors off the old harness 1 at a time leaving about 2" of wire for soldering and heatshrinking to the new harness. once done. reinstall harness, plug in and poof! your set.

some colors here
http://www.accessconnect.com/automotive_primary_wire.htm

still looking for multuicolored wire sets

aldochina
01-04-2009, 04:15 PM
as far as i know you can still get oem tires for the250es. Unless they are a direct tread copy. The originals are ohtsu.