PDA

View Full Version : Don't you hate it when...

Dammit!
01-01-2009, 08:24 PM
... really simple things turn out to be a pain in the rear?

I swear these stupid rubber seals are giving me more trouble than the frozen swinger bolt did... :crazy:

The groove on the stock swinger is a bit wider than this westcoast but it still shouldn't be this difficult. I must be losing it.

http://www.triketrash.com/random/seals.jpg

chris200x
01-01-2009, 08:51 PM
wait till you try to get those bolts in. I had one heck of a time when I redid mine.

Tyler 54
01-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Well, if its that bad just send it to me, and I'll send you a nice stocker in return.

I'm sure that the rubbers will fit in it ;)

No, I feel your pain, Let it sit over night anf surely it wil lsnap together tomorrow.

DeePa
01-01-2009, 08:54 PM
boil the rubbers first might help, wd40 may work too, they are always a pos on all swingers...

WIkid500
01-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Silicone spray on the bolts, before you install them.

Dammit!
01-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Silicone spray on the bolts, before you install them.

Ok... why? Westcoast swingers aren't even threaded right there. You have to put a longer bolt through it with a nut on the end.

clutchcargo
01-02-2009, 07:52 AM
I have a westcoast also and had the same problem. I got one in and the other kept popping out, at which point, I gave up. Maybe seal the area with some silicone caulk? I hate doing things incorrectly though. Keep me posted if you come up with something.

250rfan
01-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Ok... why? Westcoast swingers aren't even threaded right there. You have to put a longer bolt through it with a nut on the end.

Putting the OEM rubbers in these swingers is a problem, i use a 4" grinder with a cutting disc.

Use the cutting disc to open up the vertical & horizontal slat, this is done before powder coating, as i learned the hard way.

I had the same problem on the first Westcoast i restored, went to put the rubbers in after powdercoating and could'nt make them stay in properly, so i opened up the slat with the cutting disc, they went in sweet after that.

You just need longer bolts for the pinch points, you may have to manipulte the upper and lower tabs with a large flat screw driver while 'working' the bolt in.

Dammit!
01-02-2009, 02:26 PM
It was already powdered when I got it but I'm about to say the hell with it and open that slot up a bit anyway. I'll touch it up with auto paint.

250rfan
01-02-2009, 02:31 PM
It was already powdered when I got it but I'm about to say the hell with it and open that slot up a bit anyway. I'll touch it up with auto paint.

Yep, thats exactly what i had to do, if you take care you should manage to open up the slats without damaging the surrounding P/C.

Have a cup of tea, calm yourself, and re tackle it, that's what i do,:beer

Dirtcrasher
01-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Yep, thats exactly what i had to do, if you take care you should manage to open up the slats without damaging the surrounding P/C.

Have a cup of tea, calm yourself, and re tackle it, that's what i do,:beer

So I guess downing a sixpack and tearing out the Makita would be a bad thing huh?? :lol:

It's so true..... You have to check every single fitment prior to coating or your in for a surprise.

But, if you do calm down (however you chose to do so) and have a steady hand, the cutoff wheel can fix it right up.... I've gotten real good with grinders but I bet I have over a thousand hours using one.

I once came close to a speaker wire with a locked ON Makita grinder and it grabbed that wire and weed whacked my MAN UNIT at 10K RPM's :lol: , must have got it 25 times before I dropped that SOB!! ...........I'll tell ya, I had never been so scared in my life, black and blue unit for about 2 weeks - It was horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This needs to go in my "stupidest mistakes" topic :D

Be safe guys!