PDA

View Full Version : slime or tubes??

aldochina
12-31-2008, 01:51 AM
on my restored 200e the rear tires will only hold air for about 10 to 15 hours the tires are new so it must be slowly leaking around the bead. Should I try some tire slime or just tube them. I dont want to wreck the tire or rim, how messy is the slime when it comes time to change the tires. Ive never used slime before. also can you install the tube just breaking the bead on one side?

oscarmayer
12-31-2008, 02:24 AM
tube it. slime will make it so you can never patch it again. if you tube them you can always patch a tube.

fabiodriven
12-31-2008, 03:26 PM
I'd slime it. I slimed my brand-new tires on brand-new rims cause they were leaking around the bead. The slime sealed 'em right up, never leaked again. Tubes suck. I guarantee you won't be happy when you blow a tube (and it will happen).

Why couldn't you fix a tire that's been slimed? If you get a puncture you could just plug it.

Dirtcrasher
12-31-2008, 03:56 PM
I despise tubes.....

I slime everything, even my dam wheelbarrel :lol:

Works everytime.

But, it PISSES off your tire guy!!

rdlsz24
12-31-2008, 03:58 PM
I've always done tubes. I've heard with the slime that it can come loose and then you will have it bouncing around inside the tire?? Is that true?

Rob

atctim
12-31-2008, 04:01 PM
Yeah - the tire guys despise slime - makes a mess when you pull things apart - and they tell me it eats away at steel wheels from the inside out. - Tube them babies!

oscarmayer
12-31-2008, 04:03 PM
plugs are ok, but i prefer patching as it's less likley to get pulled out or leak. if you slime it, you cannot patch it as it coates the rubber in the inside and the cmehical fills int he porus rubber and keeps the patch from sticking. the tire shops in my area won;t even attempt to patch a tire that was slimmed.

if it's an older tire, then cool. but new. i'd get some bead sealer and see if that fixzes it, if not then a new tire i'd tube. now, the cool think I like is, if you pop a tube, you can cut the valve stem off, pusht he old up up againse the riding are aof the tire and install a new tube. the old tube them becomes like "mr.tuffy" and helps prevent future punctures on the new tube. I knew 1 guy who put 2 tubes in. he drilled out a new valve stem hole and had a valve stem either side of the wheel. he then started filling each tube 1 at at time in small amounts changing back and forth till the tire was at the pressure he wanted. the advantage was if a tube got punchured, you had half your air left and if you brought a small pump could air it up to take the place of the popped tube while out on the trail.

ParrotGreenUS90
12-31-2008, 05:47 PM
I would go with tubes. I have heard the same about slime eating steel rims, I do not know about aluminum rims but it has to be the same. I had the old Ohtsu Balloon tires and one had a crack and was slimed before I got it, worst mistaken ever made, it would leak slim out and within a week I had a nice new looking cement patch in te garage. But I was able to ride around for a few hours as long as it did not sit with the crack up it would hold its air.

mustangmachanic
01-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Slime Atv Tubes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
P.S> sorry for shouting

oscarmayer
01-01-2009, 03:35 PM
^ eh? slime atv tubes? so put slime in the tubes not the tire?

tbirdscott
01-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Pop the beads, wire brush the hell out of the rim, slather on wheel bearing grease and re-bead them. I've never found a rim & tire I couldnt get seated and leak free. If your tires are leaking then tube them. Slime is for lazy people.

Scott

Name Brand
01-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Pop the beads, wire brush the hell out of the rim, slather on wheel bearing grease and re-bead them. I've never found a rim & tire I couldnt get seated and leak free. If your tires are leaking then tube them. Slime is for lazy people.

Scott

I fully agree.

Slime makes an already difficult tire to pull off a rim even worse. If I'm pulling a tire off a rim that's been slimed, I now reach first for the sawzall.

cr480r
01-02-2009, 05:10 AM
Tubes suck... period... the money you might save is not worth the headaches in the long run.. and for the record I have sucessfully patched countless "slimed" tires.. i LOVE being able to plug tires and ride... Its a PITA to dismount a ATV tire to fix a leak when its been tubed.. and more often than not the tube will be junk if its been riden home or back to the truck flat..

aldochina
01-02-2009, 09:47 AM
wow, you guys are really divided on this issue, maybe i'll just keep airing up every day with the compressor, it only takes a sec.:lol:

Howdy
01-02-2009, 09:58 AM
I have always run Tubes myself with little to NO problems.
I change tires for other people and if they have slimed the tires I charge more for doing them. Some slime will eat steal rims. I have replaced a couple rims that were real bad from slime.

Make some soapy water and spray on the tire and find out for sure were it's leaking. If it's the bead then tube it. If it's a hole then plug or patch it.
Howdy

The Goat
01-02-2009, 10:21 AM
slime is not worth it.

Allthough, I'm thinking of popping my beads and doing the noodle trick to my tires, and THEN sliming them.

Question though, my tire slime alwys stayed liquid, why?

Yamada
01-02-2009, 10:38 AM
My new tricks to keep the tires from letting air off the bead is Dish soap. It make the installation of the tire really easy and I have sealed some bad bead leaks by using dish soap.

sbjones73
01-02-2009, 03:09 PM
i use grease. like wheel bearing grease on the bead. makes for easy install and removal. plus helps with any beads leakage. never used slime or tubes to this point in time. never had to

300rman
01-03-2009, 02:24 AM
SLIME FTW!!!!!

my tires would hold air for an hour......with some slime, they have held air OVER A YEAR.....havent put air in them once.

BUT dont put too much in, or it will make a noticable vibration. put half the recommended amount in, and go from there......

trikes4life
01-04-2009, 01:24 AM
Tubes suck... period... the money you might save is not worth the headaches in the long run.. and for the record I have sucessfully patched countless "slimed" tires.. i LOVE being able to plug tires and ride... Its a PITA to dismount a ATV tire to fix a leak when its been tubed.. and more often than not the tube will be junk if its been riden home or back to the truck flat..

best way trust me, hub sealer. tubes suck d!ck, same goes for slime.

trikes4life
01-04-2009, 01:26 AM
slime is not worth it.

Allthough, I'm thinking of popping my beads and doing the noodle trick to my tires, and THEN sliming them.

Question though, my tire slime alwys stayed liquid, why?

it does, its the little pieces of rubber in there that plugs it.

code200k
01-04-2009, 01:46 AM
slime all the way its easyier i think and quicker and better hold for ever.. had a trx200sx with a slow leak that went flat everyday or so slimed that bad boy dint leak ever its sitting at a freinds house year later with 3 flats!!

DIGGER DOG
01-04-2009, 10:00 AM
slime ,plugs and tubes are half arsed and lazy ,If they are leaking around the bead and the rim is not bent at the bead remove tire and clean the bead surface
personally I will never tube patch plug or slime any of my stuff unless I was out in the woods and needed to get back to civilization. I have slimed ,plugged,and tubed too many atv tires to count and dont like to do it but if thats what the customer wants thats what thier cheap arses get I prefer to do it right as far as slime goes its a pain to put on a new tire on a rim thats been slimed and customer gets charged extra time for it ,I work at a Honda dealership and have to do retarded stuff like tube a dry rotted atv tire ,none of my stuff will be tubed slimed or plugged maybe a tire patch but doubtful

aldochina
01-04-2009, 11:56 AM
well if we all worked at honda dealerships, and could use there machines to keep popping the beads to fix em right, that would be great. I personally have no luck breaking beads with what i have at home:wondering

oscarmayer
01-04-2009, 03:44 PM
slime ,plugs and tubes are half arsed and lazy ,If they are leaking around the bead and the rim is not bent at the bead remove tire and clean the bead surface
personally I will never tube patch plug or slime any of my stuff unless I was out in the woods and needed to get back to civilization. I have slimed ,plugged,and tubed too many atv tires to count and dont like to do it but if thats what the customer wants thats what thier cheap arses get I prefer to do it right as far as slime goes its a pain to put on a new tire on a rim thats been slimed and customer gets charged extra time for it ,I work at a Honda dealership and have to do retarded stuff like tube a dry rotted atv tire ,none of my stuff will be tubed slimed or plugged maybe a tire patch but doubtful

what a nice fantisy world you live in. you must not have a single sharp rock or thorn or sharp stick, or broken galss in your area at all. not to mention you gotta be rich to never ever patch, tube, plug, or slime a tire.

oOGoFastOo
01-04-2009, 09:27 PM
I have just put some slime on the beads of tires before popping them on the wheels and that has worked to fix the leaking beads with out the mess when dissmounting them next time.

Tecate250
01-09-2009, 08:28 PM
How much slime is being used? If you only have a small leak then why the need for 1 liter of slime?

Dirtcrasher
01-09-2009, 08:38 PM
I like the poster who said to just put SLIME on the bead.......

I can't tell you guys how many new friggin tires and rims I have bought that had a slow bead leak and MAN is that frustrating!!

I plug tires all the time with great success, but bead leaks I have probelms with. I have 3 Bandit AT/s right now that leak on the bead and there is no damage to these rims at all. It's just a matter of the tire compound and how it sits on the bead IMHO.....

I have used tubes, probably 6 or so. And ever friggen one ended up shaering the valve stem off. Tube cost 20$ and a minimum of 10$ to install it so 30$ is way too much for me to be dicken around.

I can snag up a whole bottle of Slime for that amount. But again, I'm gonna try just putting it on the beads alone in the future. If you have a leak, plug it, if you have a sidewall leak junk it!!!!!!!!!

DIGGER DOG
01-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Yea I figured Id catch it from my post lol ,atually I have a piece of a stick inbetween the rim and bead on my 200x and just too lazy to take it to work pop the bead and clean the bead surface .yea i live in a fantasy world and love it

DIGGER DOG
01-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Hey Dirtcrasher sometimes the little tits on the tire can be caught between the tire and bead, pop the bead and cut the tits that could be your issue Ive had to do that numerous times .also and as I previously posted I dont like tubing atv tires but if you put a washer on the valve stem then the nut that will make the valve stem a little more rigid and lessen the tube spin and breakage of the stem

fabiodriven
01-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Slime! Slime! Slime!