PDA

View Full Version : '86 250R won't start!

250rawR
12-29-2008, 11:00 PM
Got it runnin'!

Had a bad spark plug wire; the screw that holds the plug boot to the cable was a little small. A buddy and I also replaced the ignition switch, recalibrated the cold idle, and lubed a couple components, so now it runs flawlessly.

------------------------------------

UPDATE - 2/18:
The trike now gets NO spark whatsoever. I took the 'alternator' cover, or whatever it's called, off, thinking I would be able to just see a problem, haha. I didn't - just water in the case; condensation probably. Anyway, the problem is only getting worse...

UPDATE - 8/21:
So, a few months ago I replaced the piston in this, since it was cracked, and had the cylinder bored to accomodate the next size up slug. It's been running fine until now.

I pulled the spark plug out, reconnected it to the plug wire, and tested it for spark. It only sparks about once for every ten tries; is that normal? - Could this be what's keeping me down right now?

What's up everyone,

I've owned a 1986 ATC 250R for the last few months and have pretty much had good luck with it - until last week, when Seattle got snow, and my opportunity to finally ride it on my local streets came around...

Some pals and I were ripping through my cousin's neighborhood when out of nowhere, in 2nd gear, the engine dies. We had taken turns riding it for at least an hour, so it couldn't have been the fuel we were running; just filled and mixed it that morning. Checked for spark and it's definitely getting it. Pulled the spark plug, reattached it to the wire, grounded it out on the engine case, and saw it was producing a healthy, blue spark when kicking it over. And it wasn't being bogged at all; just completely cuts out!

When trying to start it, all I get from it is the occasional back-fire, about 1/10 of every try. The headlight lights up dimmly when kick-starting, too. From there we've tried a few things to get it running again:

-Drained, remixed, and refilled it with new fuel.

-Pulled the carb, checked to see if the jets were clear of debris and gas flowed through it freely, then cleaned and reinstalled it.

-Sprayed starter fluid in the airbox.

Does anyone have any idea as to what could be the problem?

The best picture of the trike that I have right now:
http://e.imagehost.org/0829/250R_004.jpg

Twilight
12-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Do a compression test? Where in Seattle are you. I can help you diagnose the problem and wont charge ya =)

Did you let it warm up? It was cold as all hell here and my 2 stroke Honda Pilot needed a good 10min of warm up on the engine.

Oh and try blowing into the fuel lines, it might have gotten clogged.

ants84olds
12-29-2008, 11:05 PM
put a new plug in it and try it again.

daniel_250r
12-29-2008, 11:48 PM
could be the stator my dirt bike was that way it just wouldnt start and would spit out the exhaust when it tried

daniel_250r
12-29-2008, 11:55 PM
nvm just read it has spark my bad

SYKO
12-30-2008, 12:01 AM
broken reeds..........

Blown 331
12-30-2008, 12:17 AM
I would still start with a fresh plug. Some times they will be able to produce a spark as you described but once you get that in a cylinder with compression that's another story.
Also does it kick over as hard as it always did? My buddy was ridding an 82 250R when it died out of no where and had no compression, the rings stuck to the piston and we still have no idea why.

Dammit!
12-30-2008, 12:24 AM
Did you rejet for the cold weather before you went out riding it?

Autophysn
12-30-2008, 12:25 AM
agreed, sounds like reeds to me......

Tri-Z Pilot
12-30-2008, 12:57 AM
Did you rejet for the cold weather before you went out riding it?

Agreed, partial meltdown?
Try a new plug, and spray some starting fluid into the cylinder before installing plug. Do that and report back.

Twilight
12-30-2008, 02:26 AM
I think its from the cold weather. I saw it happen a lot last week here, so I dunno. My offer still stands buddy, I can come out and do a compression test and a few others and we will know what happened right away.

Taiser
12-30-2008, 03:23 PM
I had the exact same problem, new plug and it was fine. Can't explain it, mine seems to burn the plug every 4-5 hours, the old plug still fires but the thing won't start. New plug and it's fine. Weird as hell. Try it, hard to go wrong for a couple of bucks.

beets442
12-30-2008, 05:22 PM
+1 on spare plugs. I've had it cut out other times to. Just come to a stop. Cools down a little and then fires right up. Like the jet, float,something is sticking. That was stock. I've since changed the carbs and now its the plugs. fwiw Beets

Yamatrike400
12-30-2008, 05:34 PM
If it isnt any of the suggested, check your flywheel key. You can still get spark, but it wont run just backfire.

Russell 350X
12-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Replace your plug first off, and blow into the fuel lines, make sure nothings clogging up there, mabey replace the fuel filter also. If neither of those work clean the carb good, and while your in there check the reeds, could be a broken one there.

250rawR
12-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Hey Twilight, thanks for the offer bro, but I guess I could just do a compression test myself, to save you a trip at least. But yeah, I'm located in Burien. What #'s should a comp test read?

The fuel lines check out fine. And yup, the R was warmed up before we rode it, no matter the weather.

I haven't re-jetted it since I've owned it. So I'm just guessing it's got the stock flow still.

I had time to at least replace the plug tonight (BR8ES), with a shot of starter fluid in the cylinder. Still nothing. This is the plug that they recommended at the cycle shop, but I'm not positive if it's the factory specific one. What plugs do you guys run in your R's?

Broken reed? I don't even know what/where the reeds are, but I'm guessing they're carb related.. haha. Where and how would I check for their condition?

The flywheel key is also something I have no knowledge of.. How would I check it's condition?

I'm not an experienced mechanic, I just like to ride these things really. Since it finally has decided to quit on me, I'm willing to learn and do whatever it takes to reclaim its awesomeness. Thanks everyone!

Twilight
12-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Burien is 3minutes away, haha. In fact I was just at the taco bell there. I think the compression should be ABOVE 170, 170 being the least. That plug is right for the winter so that's good. The reeds are what separate the carb and the engine. Pull the carb and the boot and you should see the reeds. Hopefully yours didnt suck a reed as that would be pretty bad.

What color is the tip of the old plug? Also on the reeds, look for cracks and fraying.

Autophysn
12-30-2008, 11:48 PM
same plug I run, but I also keep a stubby 13/16 wrench and a spare plug already gapped to .28 in my bike's tool box.
Can't tell you much about the weather thing, cause the coldest it has ever gotten here is 27 degrees Farenheit. As for your reeds, if they are broke, you will know cause it will be obvious. But you should be able to see light thru them. they will cause very very very hard starting. Wish I could help more....but I think I can speak for most of us, when I say we need:pics:

250rawR
12-31-2008, 02:42 PM
The tip of the old plug was pretty black; it looked normal to me, but I'm no expert. I'm going to examine the reeds and report back to you guys.

Autophysn, I've added a pic to my initial post. ;)

Blown 331
12-31-2008, 04:16 PM
Have you even tride to start it with a new plug yet?

Autophysn
12-31-2008, 09:18 PM
Dude, that is a sweet looking R man! I like it!

keep us posted, ashame you can't ride her

Twilight
12-31-2008, 09:41 PM
I was gonna buy your R off craigslist I think, but it disappeared. Did you buy it?

250rawR
01-01-2009, 08:49 PM
I've tried restarting it with and without a new plug, but it doesn't make any difference in the symptoms.

Twilight, is your name Shane? I've had it on craigslist a few times this year, but I always seem to back out of the sale at the last minute, haha. If you'd like to come take a look at it, you'd be more than welcome. Lemme know...

Twilight
01-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Name is Tony, I know what you mean about backing out. I have tried to sell my FL350 odyssey, but I back out to anyone I think that will trash it.

As of right now I would love to help you fix it. I cant buy anything for a month and a half per my GF's request. I am free on Saturday if you are, give me a call; 206-883-6550 or if you wanna e-mail then anthony809@juno.com

250rawR
01-05-2009, 07:20 PM
I pulled the reeds out last night and both sets were fine...

250rawR
08-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Updated because I need help again...

ceaserthethird
08-21-2009, 06:45 PM
What do you need help with ? ? ?

whyzee
08-21-2009, 07:54 PM
go to the manual and pull the carb , clean it top to bottom, every orifice, jet etc!! ! check your float level . clogged pilot jet and float level waay out of spec Sounds like your drowning the motor.

charger
08-21-2009, 09:21 PM
is the inner coil bad?

250rawR
02-18-2010, 04:23 AM
Is this the inner coil?:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6638/wheeler.th.jpg (http://img21.imageshack.us/i/wheeler.jpg/)