PDA

View Full Version : Cant get rear caliper on 85R

Tri-Z Pilot
12-26-2008, 11:26 PM
Ok I know this is a stupid question, but how do I get the caliper back on the disk, as I have never replaced a caliper before. Do I just pry open the pads to get the caliper back on, or do I drain the fluid out of the hole system first? It got too cold out to continue working anymore, and I probably would have figured it out, but I figured I would ask anyway before I went at it again tomorrow.

trizilla
12-27-2008, 10:04 AM
i would try to spread the pads. sounds like the piston is out to far. be careful not to damage the pads. i usually try to push it back in with an old set of pads. you should be able to do it without draining the system.

Mosh
12-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Open the bleeder.This will alow the pads to be easily compressed.Plus it keeps you from damaging the master cylinder seals, by letting the dirty fliud come out of the bleeder.
Pushing dirty fluid back into the master cylinder will damage old seals.

Make sure your bracket is sliding good. If not, you will have to clean up the pins and lube them up good.That floating bracket should move in and out like butter.
While you are at it flush out that old brake fluid.
I put new pads on my stuff once a year with life still in them,and when I am in there I clean and lube everything with waterproof grease. And I flush the brake fluid once a year too.
I have break systems that are 20 years old, that still work like new becuase of the preventative maintenance I do on the systems.

badasskfx
12-27-2008, 11:39 AM
if it has the parking brake on it back the adjuster bolt out.

brapp
12-28-2008, 12:10 AM
use a c plamp and it shoudl press the pads enough to push the piston back in the caliper.