PDA

View Full Version : pull start rope won't retract

idunno09
12-24-2008, 05:39 PM
83 200s engine my pull start won't retract, and i want to ride. Any way to fix it without taking it apart? I have no where to do it as there is about 2 ft of snow on the ground and there's no dry places to work with small parts near me. I think it will retract eventually because m dad described that he got it stuck out a bit then tried to work it back in and it was going a little bit at a time then he eventually got it out too far and now it will not retract. HELP!!!!

fatcat
12-24-2008, 05:51 PM
try tapping the outside of th housing with a hammer?

idunno09
12-24-2008, 05:55 PM
try tapping the outside of th housing with a hammer?

tried it a little bit already, didn't want to swing too hard though...

old-yellow
12-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Try heating it up with a heat gun a little and taping it. Alex

hondahaulic
12-24-2008, 07:48 PM
The spring on the inside probably became unhooked, it will most likely need taken apart. Its like 4 or 5 bolts that will need taken out with an 8mm socket and rachet with an extension, and then the recoil comes off. You can rebuild it in your house if you have to, all you'll need for tools is a screwdriver or something to remove a clip, and maybe a pair of pliers and maybe a knife.

Also if you've never been inside a recoil before Howdy has a great thread on rebuilding them if you search for it. Knowing how to fix a recoil is a great skill to have with these old trikes.

Custom200
12-24-2008, 10:36 PM
Well if you cant really work on the pullcord case right away and want to go for a run you could just take it off and wrap a rope arpund the side of the motor where the pullcordcase goes. or you could wrap the cord sticking out somwhere out opf the way on the bike and bumpstart it if you wish

1984ATC200S
12-24-2008, 10:44 PM
it could just be froze, mine does it when its below 10 degrees (Celsius), once it warms up it does fine. so try the heat gun.

daniel_250r
12-24-2008, 11:18 PM
either the coil is off and not retracting or the teeth are some how stuck open try forcing the rope in with pliers or something

Howdy
12-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Do the right thing and pull the pullstarter off and repair it. Might just take a little thawing and then some drying out. It might require the pullstarter may need taken apart and repaired. No matter what if you don't find the problem and fix it, then you will probbaly continue to have problems with it as time goes by.

I explained a easy way to repair the pullstarters a couple years ago and have posted a couple links to the reply. Do a forum search for that info. It might take a first timer about 30-45 minutes to fix it. I showed it can be removed, taken apart, re-assembled, and re-installed in under 10 minutes for people that have done a couple.
Howdy

SeaBass8
12-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Anybody know where this thread is? ^^^^^^

I've searched.

Thx