PDA

View Full Version : Tri-moto 175 front end

old-yellow
12-24-2008, 01:20 AM
I just bought a 175 front end of ebay and was wondering if I need a 175 axle or if my stock 125 front axle will work or are they different ?

snowwolf
12-24-2008, 01:37 AM
the only differens i found so far between the two is the way the exhaust mounts on do you have the 175 rim ?

TriMotoMan
12-24-2008, 02:10 AM
you need the 175 axle the stock axle is like 2in to short i had that problem when i got my 175 forks, i had a machinest make me one for 50 bucks, i cut my own spacers and i run a honda atc 110 front hub

old-yellow
12-24-2008, 02:15 AM
thanks for the info trimotoman I guess I will have to buy one

TriMotoMan
12-24-2008, 02:48 AM
ya no prob, i jus didnt want u to get the forks on then go to put the axle on and not be able to ride like i did lol

snowwolf
12-24-2008, 02:52 AM
you can put front brakes on it to here is the front of my 175 to give you an idea

old-yellow
12-24-2008, 02:54 AM
Thanks guys for all your help

old-yellow
12-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Can I cut the side mounting tabs of a 125 front fender and just drill new holes in the top of fender to mount it to the 175 front end or are the different shape all together ?

Thanks Alex

TriMotoMan
12-24-2008, 05:03 PM
ya u can to do that and it should fit, but i would save the 125 fender incase u ever use your forks again. I run a yt200 front fender on mine but i also had a big red fender on it

old-yellow
12-24-2008, 05:14 PM
Thanks trimotoman. I have two 125 front fenders so I am not concerned if I have to modify one for these purpose. Thanks Alex

Vealmonkey
12-24-2008, 07:05 PM
I have the old yt175 fender if you need it. It could probably use to be repainted. I sort of was using it for a test bed before I painted my tri z headlight plastic but the fender is solid. I also have a nos dull yellow maier front fender if you would rather have that.

old-yellow
12-24-2008, 07:08 PM
If any one has front 175 axle they want to get of real cheap let me know and I mean real cheap I spent all of my money on the front end. Thanks Alex

Vealmonkey
12-24-2008, 07:12 PM
No extra axles here, sorry.

old-yellow
12-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Just curious what you want for the old 175 fender. Sorry pat my computer is older then dirt that's why it takes so long to post

Vealmonkey
12-24-2008, 07:50 PM
I'll take a picture of it to see if you want it. You can have it for shipping if you want it.

Vealmonkey
12-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Here are the fender pictures. As you can see, the mounting holes are in great shape and there are no tears in the louvers. The fender was just really ratty looking and I bought a nos fender, so this fender became a test bed for spray paint for plastics. Let me know if you want it.

old-yellow
12-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Can you do me a favor and hold on to it for like a month or so. So I can build my three wheeler funds back up and do you think that paint will come off becaues if the paint will come off I want it. By the way you heard anything about the articles and hows your project coming along. Thanks Alex

old-yellow
12-24-2008, 09:03 PM
where in hell do you find all this nos stuff. lol. Alex

Vealmonkey
12-24-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm sure the paint will come off with some wet sanding and alot of elbow grease. I was just thinking about repainting the fender originally, but like I said, managed to find an nos front fender, so I didn't think anyone would want this fender and now alot of people seem to have been picking up tri motos!
As for the parts, ebay, the dealer, and board members. Buying, and trading mostly. I'm still looking for a NOS fuel tank cover though. I'm goofy about the odd trikes and I like to use the best parts when I can find them. My trikes aren't total restores by far, but, I try to make them as nice as possible. You should have seen my 84 klt110. That had all nos plastic and fuel tank and mudflaps and decals and such. The klt110 wasn't and isn't a popular trike so it made parts hunting pretty easy. Most stuff was obtained at the dealer. I also managed to pick up an aftermarket brush guard for it and an NOS Bassani exhaust. It was pretty sweet when it was done. I finished it and was riding it 1 day when a guy saw me riding and came up and made me one of those can't refuse type of offers, I mean a really generous cash offer. Way more than I had in the trike. He said his Dad had one growing up and he really had to have it. Sold! That was before I really started posting on here. It wasn't a 100 point resto by far, but it was super clean and looked really cherry up close. About the only thing on it that wasn't original or NOS, was the seat. I couldn't find one of the early seats with the stripes on it anywhere, but it was the seat that said No Passenger that was stamped into the seat cover. It was my first serious effort at re-doing a trike. Some parts nowadays are getting really hard if not impossible to get unless you have really deep pockets. I've seen people pay for a NOS set of fenders what I paid for my Tiger 250! And my pockets for something that I'm going to ride, just aren't that deep. There aren't many people that have done a true resto on a trike on here. Alot of people say they've restored a trike, but not really back to the way it came out of the crate. That is why I have an issue with alot of people that use the word resto or restore. It really takes away from the few people that have done "Total" restores on trikes. Alot of people have really freshened up thier trikes, but not back to the way they were on day 1. A total restore takes alot of time and money and searching and my hat goes off to the few that have done this.

daniel_250r
12-24-2008, 11:21 PM
tri moto owners unite! i also own a tri moto 125 its mainly a beater for friends to ride with me while i am on the 200s

old-yellow
12-24-2008, 11:35 PM
Don't let them use it as a beater. Fix it up they are fun little trikes. Alex

TriMotoMan
12-25-2008, 12:06 AM
Alex, u will love the yt175 front suspension on trailprotrailpro 125 i rode mine all day today, u should use a dewalt sander to take the paint of it worked great on my fenders before i painted them
-Damien

old-yellow
12-25-2008, 12:27 AM
Yeah I am going to paint them black again. I am all so going to buy these yellow shock boots that dennis kirk sells.

TriMotoMan
12-25-2008, 12:54 AM
That will look nice, im gonna paint the bottom of my forks red and my rear rims red like the front one. The black paint rubs off wear my legs are so im thinking about rhino lining my fenders black

the tecate kid
12-25-2008, 12:52 PM
How well does the paint stick to the fenders? I was thinking about painting mine white.

Vealmonkey
12-25-2008, 02:21 PM
old-yellow, make sure those fork boots are right. The fork boots on the yt175 are way different than what the fork boots are for a 200x or a trike like that. One end is really skinny and the other end is bigger. If the fork boots you are looking at have the same sized ends, they won't work.

TriMotoMan
12-25-2008, 02:48 PM
i use krylon platic coat, it stays on for a while but after some hard riding it rubs off where i put my knees and my feet

old-yellow
12-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Yeah the fork boots the way they are listed, is that you look up your fork seal size and go by that. Their made by daystar if you want to look them up.

daniel_250r
12-26-2008, 05:44 PM
meh mine is in good mechanical shape i don't hit jumps or anything its just a back up trike to ride

TriMotoMan
12-27-2008, 04:23 AM
i jump mine, nothin major but i ride it hard it hasnt broke on me so far

old-yellow
12-27-2008, 04:06 PM
The stem on the 175 front end It uses the same loose ball bearings as the 125 stem does I hope?

TriMotoMan
12-27-2008, 05:08 PM
yup i does, but the top part that covers the ball bearings is different then the one on the 125 forks, they both work but i used the bigger one that came with the 175

old-yellow
12-29-2008, 02:44 AM
This is the front end I am getting. what do you think worth it ?

Vealmonkey
12-29-2008, 03:07 AM
Not much, it's missing alot of stuff. No brake assembly or cables and it's hard to tell if both the headlight ears are good. See also how there is not top nut or anything on the stem, I hope the threads aren't boogered up. No fender either. I hope the bolts that held the fender or the bottom of the cover over the head light aren't busted off. They are a pain to remove. Take that one from me. I had 3 in mine that I had to remove. I've only gotten one out so far and it's a real pain. That front end has no axle or anything and the 125 and 175 axle are different. You still have to buy alot of parts for that. Good luck man.

old-yellow
12-29-2008, 03:22 AM
Well the description said no busted bolts and the headlight ears are still there. One thing I don't know is if the threads on the stem are any good but hope they are if not I got a tap and die set so I can probably fix it. Plus I am getting a front fender from you pat and a axle from mike so I should be fine.

Alex

Vealmonkey
12-29-2008, 03:58 AM
But unless you have all the brake parts, then the wheel won't fit on it right. And I seriously doubt that you have the die for that neck. If they are anything like the honda, and I'm pretty sure they are, they are a special very fine thread.

TriMotoMan
12-29-2008, 04:04 AM
i dont have the brake parts on mine, jus make your own spacers

old-yellow
12-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Really it has special fine thread. I guess I will have to ask my friend Rob who works in a machine shop if he has the die. Hopefully the threads are not screwed up. I was planning on having him make the spacers for me also.

Alex

TriMotoMan
12-30-2008, 04:17 PM
hey Alex heres the exhuast pics u wanted, i chopped the head off my muffler because it wouldnt come out, then i cleaned out the inside, i welded a new end on to it, and patched a hole near the bottom of the muffler

-Damien

Vealmonkey
02-08-2009, 01:34 AM
ole yellow, here some pics of the parts. Let me know if these are ok.

Vealmonkey
02-08-2009, 01:36 AM
Here are some more pics.

old-yellow
02-08-2009, 01:38 AM
That all looks real good what are you looking to get for that headlight guard?

Vealmonkey
02-08-2009, 01:41 AM
And here is the last pic or 2. Do all these parts work for you. The grab bar might have a slight up bend to it but not bad. I threw in some pictures of the NOS parts that you didn't want just to fill up the empty attachments. Let me know that the parts are to your liking and I'll start and get your box packed. Also re-pm me your mailing address. Hopefully you'll see these parts by this coming friday or saturday. Don't forget to let me know when they get there and we can work out a deal and I'll know what all the shipping and stuff is.

old-yellow
02-08-2009, 01:48 AM
Sorry it was my computer being a piece of crap. Nice I will pm you my address and some other details.

Thanks, Alex

old-yellow
02-08-2009, 01:52 AM
Is this some sort of chain tensioner

Vealmonkey
02-08-2009, 01:54 AM
We'll work it out. And in that third set of pics, that red and metal thing on the black and white card. That is a NOS aftermarket Pro Tec chain tensioner for a yt175, very rare. I won't be needing it on a suspension yt175. So After you get your box of parts, I'll be listing some NOS yt175 parts. Time to clear out some things and build up a little capital to finish some projects.

old-yellow
02-08-2009, 01:59 AM
Nice by the way how is your YT175 coming a long? I am just curious but why are you not using the Nos parts on your trike?

Thank's, Alex

Vealmonkey
02-08-2009, 02:19 AM
Don't worry, I am using nos rear fenders and seat, nos rear grab bar too. But the chain tensioner won't work with the Pro Tec kit. And I'm not using a stock yt175 front end so none of the stuff on the front forks will work for me either.

old-yellow
02-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Hey Pat, I have a question about that protec chain tensioner. Does that fit every year or only 80-81 trimoto's? I know that 82-85 trimoto's have the plastic cover over the chain and sprockets and use a different chain tensioner than the 80-81 trimoto's. Also I was curious what you wanted for it if you want you can PM me with that answer.

Thanks, Alex

Vealmonkey
02-08-2009, 08:50 PM
I'm pretty sure the chain tensioner is for the 82 and later yt's. I can pull the instructions out and check though. I have to tell you the chain tensioner wouldn't be cheap.

old-yellow
02-08-2009, 08:55 PM
That's cool I was just curious.

Thanks, Alex

old-yellow
02-09-2009, 03:10 AM
I just wanted to post a picture of the shock boots that I am going to buy when I Build my 3 wheelin fund back up.

old-yellow
02-10-2009, 06:08 PM
And here is the last pic or 2. Do all these parts work for you. The grab bar might have a slight up bend to it but not bad. I threw in some pictures of the NOS parts that you didn't want just to fill up the empty attachments. Let me know that the parts are to your liking and I'll start and get your box packed. Also re-pm me your mailing address. Hopefully you'll see these parts by this coming friday or saturday. Don't forget to let me know when they get there and we can work out a deal and I'll know what all the shipping and stuff is.

Hey, Pat this is the post I was talking about.

Thanks, Alex

TriMotoMan
02-19-2009, 02:59 AM
awesome parts, wish i could find some here in alaska