PDA

View Full Version : Need help Tecate guys. PVL ignition on my T3? What is it?

Hoosier_Daddy
12-22-2008, 11:38 PM
I started tearing down my donor engine and the flywheel and stator look totally different. The engine on the outside is an exact match of my 85 T3. But when i took off the flywheel cover the flywheel and stator are different.

All I know is it says PVL made in germany on both. Here are some pics. Is this a KX set up? KDX? Maybe this is a KX or KDX engine? I know the cylinder is Tecate for sure and everything else looks Tecate. Can anyone help?

Brad200X
12-23-2008, 12:05 AM
I believe that is an aftermarket stator/flywheel setup. Somebody mentioned PVL in one of the recent Tecate resto threads. As for the motor, the only way I can tell them apart is by the cylinder, and I guess the only difference's in the bottom end is the stator/flywheel and the tranny. Not 100% though. Hopefully somebody who knows the ID numbers can help you.

fabiodriven
12-23-2008, 12:15 AM
PVL? Sounds like a score! No lights, though.

Hoosier_Daddy
12-23-2008, 12:21 AM
PVL? Sounds like a score! No lights, though.Nope, no extra wire for lights but it is a different setup. The flywheel is small and in the middle of the stator instead of the stock flywheel surrounding the stator. The flywheel magnets are built into it and it looks pretty rugged. Is this a good ignition? Should I use this instead buying a Ricky setup? Is it going to rev more like a KX. I just wish I knew more about this.

MIK6
12-23-2008, 12:30 AM
If you decide to sell that PLV let me know. I would love to run a PLV on my 87 T3 300.

MIK6 / Mike

Hoosier_Daddy
12-23-2008, 12:41 AM
Holy crap, here is the instructions for instalation! This might be quite difficult.
http://www.pentonimports.com/install.htm

I might sell it because i don't know how it will effect my engines performance. I would just like to know a little more about it if anyone knows. If running this thing means i'm going to have to go get a bigger carb, custom pipe and gear the crap outta my bike, i'm not thinking i want to mess with it. i'd probably just stick with a Ricky setup. But if this is a good useable ignition, i'll give it a shot.

MIK6
12-23-2008, 01:01 AM
i sent you a PM

MIK6 / Mike

the tecate kid
12-23-2008, 08:22 AM
I have one. the first time that i installed it, I had it 180 degrees off. the instructions were somewhat vague. contact TECAT-Z here on the boards. I told me how to set mine up at trikefest. The ignition is very quick revving with it, as far as running a pipe/carb with it, I wouldnt see why you would have to. It is far more reliable than the stock set-up I can tell you that. I would consider it a score. Price them new. Not cheap.

Hoosier_Daddy
12-23-2008, 10:11 AM
I have one. the first time that i installed it, I had it 180 degrees off. the instructions were somewhat vague. contact TECAT-Z here on the boards. I told me how to set mine up at trikefest. The ignition is very quick revving with it, as far as running a pipe/carb with it, I wouldnt see why you would have to. It is far more reliable than the stock set-up I can tell you that. I would consider it a score. Price them new. Not cheap.Cool, I was planning on getting a Ricky setup and I guess i can use this and save the $250 for that. money is tight so I like to save where i can.

Hoosier_Daddy
12-23-2008, 10:19 AM
I do have another question, There is a coil with the PVL but I don't have a cdi. The coil is rather large and bulky, is it possible the coil and cdi are one unit? If not would I be able to use my stock cdi with it?

Hoosier_Daddy
12-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Now that i have the flywheel off I notice it has no key (chuck key? Kotter key? whatever they call them now days lol) It just bolts on and uses no key unlike the OEM and Ricky. Is this because the flywheel is so small and light that it can be ran like this? It seems like it would be easy to knock the timing off without a key.

brapp
12-23-2008, 03:57 PM
ther eis no keyway and ther eis no cdi its just a coil and apick up on the fluwheel ( similar to a chainsaw) you have an verry pricey part right there! i have a kx one if you want to trade???lol but that is the ultimate ignition set up if you dont need lights extremlysimple and bulletproof. a pita to get set but inc eyou do hold on for dear life its a huge diffrence and willmake the tecate almost rev similar to a banshee.

Hoosier_Daddy
12-23-2008, 04:42 PM
ther eis no keyway and ther eis no cdi its just a coil and apick up on the fluwheel ( similar to a chainsaw) you have an verry pricey part right there! i have a kx one if you want to trade???lol but that is the ultimate ignition set up if you dont need lights extremlysimple and bulletproof. a pita to get set but inc eyou do hold on for dear life its a huge diffrence and willmake the tecate almost rev similar to a banshee.Well, I guess i'll give it a try then. Sounds like I got lucky with this one.

scooterroo
12-23-2008, 07:03 PM
digity x had a pvl on his old t3, bought it off ebay new for like 425 bucks. complete set up. pvl is an awesome ignition and unlike the instructions they arent all that hard to set up. you will definately notice an improvement over the stock t3 ignition and even a kx. the smaller flywheels are where the higher revs come from. they put out like double the voltage of a stock set up, so a hotter spark. you got a gem right there, i wouldnt sell it if i was you, but then again im not you.

cr480r
12-24-2008, 03:50 AM
the smaller flywheels are where the higher revs come from.

flywheel mass has no affect on rpm potential.. if there is an rpm gain its from changes in the timing or strength of the spark. I personally wouldn't touch a pvl if I planned to ride on any surface other than sand...

Hoosier_Daddy
12-24-2008, 05:32 AM
flywheel mass has no affect on rpm potential.. if there is an rpm gain its from changes in the timing or strength of the spark. I personally wouldn't touch a pvl if I planned to ride on any surface other than sand...I noticed in an old thread you said going from a Tecate to KX ignition reduces traction and a PVL is probably worse. What did you mean by that? You mean low end power? Worse hole shots?

90% of my riding is done on open trails and open fields. I'm not going to MX my T3, and if I ever get into some wooded trails it will be few and far between. I'm trying to restore it to be nice but usable. I don't want to dump all my time and money into it and go beat the living crap out of it and destroy it because i don't have the time or money to fix it back up. But at the same time, I do want to go riding it and enjoy it.

boosted96cobra
12-24-2008, 06:30 AM
Everyone I know that is building a tecate to be reliable and fast has the pvl ignition on there list of must haves. I know I do. I'm sure you'd have no problem selling it. I have a brand new ricky flywheel (never ran), with good oem stators coil cdi, plus a box full of stators, lighting coils and a couple cdi and coils I'd trade for what you have. If I were you I'd keep it though.

What people are talking about with the kx or pvl vs the oem or ricky flywheel, is mostly holeshot and some low end diffrences. It is like putting a lightened flywheel in a car, revs easier and faster, but the holeshot and hard shifts suffer.

Imagine your t3 motor running. With the stock or ricky flywheel your turning 3-4 lbs of weight (duno exact numbers sorry BUT the ricky is heavier than stock!). Now imagine what happens when you really snap the clutch. It will really drag down the motor. With the extra weight already spinning it is easier to turn the drivetrain. With no weight it is alot harder to turn the weight so it can bog the motor down alot easier. So it will be really finikey to start and may bog more on wot shifts. In turn, when the motor is revving, the less weight is has to spin the better. So with a lighter than stock fly you can spin up faster (not higher, that depends on alot of other things!).

I hope you can understand that, easy concept just hard to explain.

Since all the tecate guys are reading this anyone have a good 84-85 jug and or piston? I have 2 tecates sitting with toasted top ends. pm me if you do!

cr480r
12-24-2008, 11:39 AM
I noticed in an old thread you said going from a Tecate to KX ignition reduces traction and a PVL is probably worse. What did you mean by that? You mean low end power? Worse hole shots?

I meant that traction was worse with a lighter flywheel. power delivery becomes abrupt... More difficult to adjust, more difficult to start, easier to stall, harder to find traction... Sure the throttle response is greatly improved increased and the bike feels faster because its less controlable, but in reality zero more hp are getting to the rear wheels... All I know is that on short wheelie happy green trike with a hard hitting powerband and a grabby clutch the last thing I would ever buy or use is a pvl.. although it would probably work good for scaring my friends and impressing my internet buddies though..

DixiePlowboy
12-24-2008, 03:38 PM
A PVL is on my "to do" list, for many of the reasons cr480r listed.

I personally like a lighter flywheel on machines 250-up, but then I don't ride a 2-stroke chugging around through the woods or over slow/rough terrain.

I had a '92 KX250 earlier this year that had a Stealhly flywheel weight bolted on it. All the woods/enduro type guys praise them and swear that heavier is the way to go. I tried it both ways and the weight came off and got sold. I like my flywheels on a diet, my power abrupt, and my engine to spin up quick.

tecat-z
12-24-2008, 03:44 PM
I meant that traction was worse with a lighter flywheel. power delivery becomes abrupt... More difficult to adjust, more difficult to start, easier to stall, harder to find traction... Sure the throttle response is greatly improved increased and the bike feels faster because its less controlable, but in reality zero more hp are getting to the rear wheels... All I know is that on short wheelie happy green trike with a hard hitting powerband and a grabby clutch the last thing I would ever buy or use is a pvl.. although it would probably work good for scaring my friends and impressing my internet buddies though..

I agree 100% To me a pvl would be perfect for oval ice racing. Where engine speed is kept high the whole time, and smooth power matters little. For trail and general riding weight in the fly is your friend. It becomes verry difficult to launch a bike with little mass, unless you have geared way down. Then this creates a whole new problem. The engines ability to handle and make power at elevated engine speed, to compensate for shorter gearing.

nd4speed
12-24-2008, 05:53 PM
You can buy PVL flywheel weights. Will the weights fit in the stock cover? Probably.

PVL sells a puller too but it looks like you can use an automotive one?

Hoosier_Daddy
12-24-2008, 08:04 PM
You can buy PVL flywheel weights. Will the weights fit in the stock cover? Probably.

PVL sells a puller too but it looks like you can use an automotive one?I was able to take it off with a regular puller so it wasn't too bad.

To the other guys, like I said earlier, most of my riding is just open trails and fields. I won't be worried about launching for a drag race but i don't want the revs to be so uncontrollable that it won't be fun either. I'm running an 86 swinger which gives me 2" over stock and I am not interested in extending the swingarm any more because i want to be able to ride it around and have handling. I'm not building a drag racer. So i don't want this ignition to make my powerband hit so hard and fast that i can't gun it without fear of a flipping it over wheelie. Now, I'm confused if this would be a good setup for me.

Blown 331
12-24-2008, 08:25 PM
I'd suggest just running it then make your decision. I'm sure it's not going to make the bike un-rideable and I'm sure you will like it just fine. I'm sure it makes a difference but it's just ignition, it's not like you are putting a CR500 engine in an ATC70.

cr480r
12-25-2008, 04:20 AM
So i don't want this ignition to make my powerband hit so hard and fast that i can't gun it without fear of a flipping it over wheelie. Now, I'm confused if this would be a good setup for me.

its still a 250 so its not gonna completely try to kill you...lol.. but it will come up and over faster when it does find traction.. I took a mere 5oz off my quadracer flywheel and it completely changed the bike.. It was was much snappier(i liked it at first), but the tires always felt bald, the rear brake would kill the motor easily, it stalled easily in technical stuff and required alot more clutch abuse, and i even noticed it being less forgiving when jumping... and I damn sure didnt have the talent to ride nice wheelies on the beast anymore... 5.5oz off a q-racer flywheel is not near as much of a change as the kxt to kx swap.. and not even close to the difference between kxt and pvl...

on my tecate i am running a '91 KDX ignition that is heavier than the KXT... throttle response is not a problem...the motor is snappy enough and very controlable..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhoA-89Ui2A

You can buy PVL flywheel weights.

I have seen those, it seems to me like that could potentially cause problems with the timing staying where its put... I dont like the idea of not having a key in conjuntion with flywheel weights