PDA

View Full Version : 82' ATC 200x won't start in cold

idunno09
12-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Anyone got any tips for starting it up in the cold, I just got it in the summer, and it ran but it does die once in a while (i thought it was overheating due to the fact that i took it it out on really hot days) but it has always had a hard time starting at first. If anyone has any advice it would be awesome cause i wanna go out and play in the fresh dump of snow we just got (we don't get much snow here so i wanna play while i can)

PS the trike is stored outside but is undercover and covered by a tarp.

Dirtcrasher
12-21-2008, 07:33 PM
When an engine is freezing cold, it's not the easiest thing to start.... It has to be jetted spot on... You have an air screw that can be tinkered with and a slow or pilot jet that can be upsized. Sometimes just turning out the airscrew does wonders.

Maybe you could see whats in there for jets now, check the condition of the air screw and it's oring (which can affect starting) and possibly buy a couple sizes larger and give it a shot.................

Check and see how many turns the air screw should be according to the manual.

Blown 331
12-21-2008, 07:41 PM
I'd put some gas in an oil can and shoot some in the spark plug hole or remove the carb slide and shoot some down there.

idunno09
12-21-2008, 07:46 PM
I took a blow dryer to it and let it get warm so that it would pop when i pulled it and then i tinkered with the carb until i got her going and she was driving great until my old man decided to take it out and he stalled it down the way so i finally made it over to him and he had the pull rope fully extended passed the spring return, so at least i got to ride it once so far. I would pull it into my garage and do some work on it there, but my chevelle gets priority over my little $500 trike.

oscarmayer
12-21-2008, 07:57 PM
have you pulled the carb and cleaned/rebuild it? may be a good start.

idunno09
12-21-2008, 09:09 PM
have you pulled the carb and cleaned/rebuild it? may be a good start.

Planning on doing that in the summer when i use it a lot more but i got it running alright, its just my pull rope is stuck out now.

oscarmayer
12-21-2008, 09:24 PM
ah coo. glad u got it started. yea it just sounds like the carb needs some luvin. ;)

i recommend some "starting" fluid from the auto store. you take the plug out, spray it for like 4-5 secs down the hole and put the plug in and start the trike.

Shawn72
12-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Put a space heater under the cover with it for about 20 minutes before you ride. It will fire right up. I've also done the blow dryer thing too.

brapp
12-22-2008, 10:43 AM
i know with diesels we stick a blow drier in the intake to preheat the air going in ti wors wondersalot of the time as logn as you cet the air movign down into the motor and not everywhre else.

birddogg
12-23-2008, 12:44 AM
I think the real question here is where in the world did you find this pull-start 82' ATC200x you speak of?:confused:

idunno09
12-24-2008, 05:33 PM
I think the real question here is where in the world did you find this pull-start 82' ATC200x you speak of?:confused:

It's actually a bit of a frankenstein, 200x frame suspension and 200s running gear, I geuss that woud have been more informative, whoops

Brad200X
12-24-2008, 06:27 PM
What is your starting routine? My X doesn't like start with the choke up in the cold, when it's cold. Usually I'll kick it three or four times with the choke, put the choke down and kick it once or twice and it pops off. The opposite can be said for when its warm out. It starts in one kick with the choke off, but if you put the choke on , you'll blow your knee out. FYI around here, we just call 'em auto-X's. Did you put it together or was it a previous owner? Sounds like a pretty cool thing to build.

idunno09
12-24-2008, 06:55 PM
What is your starting routine? My X doesn't like start with the choke up in the cold, when it's cold. Usually I'll kick it three or four times with the choke, put the choke down and kick it once or twice and it pops off. The opposite can be said for when its warm out. It starts in one kick with the choke off, but if you put the choke on , you'll blow your knee out. FYI around here, we just call 'em auto-X's. Did you put it together or was it a previous owner? Sounds like a pretty cool thing to build.

previous owner put it together, honestly i'd love to build and work on these things but i have too many other hobbies and not nearly enough time or money. My chevelle with a 454 big block is my main project right now, eventually might try and do some super crazy engine swap and customizing of a trike but ive got a lot of other projects i want to do as well, lol

Brad200X
12-24-2008, 07:34 PM
previous owner put it together, honestly i'd love to build and work on these things but i have too many other hobbies and not nearly enough time or money. My chevelle with a 454 big block is my main project right now, eventually might try and do some super crazy engine swap and customizing of a trike but ive got a lot of other projects i want to do as well, lol

Hang around us trikers long enough and you'll soon discover your three wheelers multiplying in the night! Trikes are like Jello, there's always room for more!

birddogg
12-25-2008, 01:37 AM
It's actually a bit of a frankenstein, 200x frame suspension and 200s running gear, I geuss that woud have been more informative, whoops

Cool, I built one of those myself when I was 15yrs old. I had a 200s that I smashed up pretty good, and my uncle had a 200x that my cousins had run out of oil after popping the chain through the case. I snagged it for $125 after he had just replaced every bearing/bushing on the bike and replaced all the plastic with white Maier pieces. Damn, I miss that thing.

oscarmayer
12-25-2008, 01:28 PM
you know the old saying right?

:TrikesOwn :Bounce :beer