PDA

View Full Version : blaster motor in 200x...worth it?

jostephy8
12-19-2008, 10:26 PM
I have a 1984 handa 200x. Was wondering if the blaster motor would be a worthwhile motor swap?

SYKO
12-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Ive always wanted to put a blaster motor in a tri-z, lighter then the actuall blaster, would make a great trail rig.

theres a member here that wedged the suzuki pe 175 into a 200x ran good to, you should go for it!

code200k
12-19-2008, 11:15 PM
probolly would be cept y not put a honda in a honda :wondering thats my thinking

Daddio
12-20-2008, 12:17 AM
It may not be a Honda but you can get a buttload of performance parts for the blaster. I think it would be a worthy swap. Light and powerful.:naughty:

factoryX
12-20-2008, 02:30 AM
brake pedal mounts to the motor. the guy who the put the pe175 in had trouble getting a rear brake pedal just to mount. Why not something more modern like a kdx 200 motor? water cooled yes but worth the fabing if you even put motor in... blaster motor is great but 30 year old motor...

300rman
12-20-2008, 03:15 AM
stock. blaster motors are WEAK for a 200cc 2 stroke.....like 18 horse or something.

i would think a 125 dirtbike motor would be a much better choice.

if you have the blaster motor, GO FOR IT!!!!! just port the jug for better performance. they are ported very mildly, as they are extremely quiet stock.

torker
12-20-2008, 07:26 AM
I'm going the oposite way. 200cc lifan in a Blaster. Blaster motors are not bad, and you can certainly get a boat load of goodies for it. But I think you'll be happier with a lifan in there, plus it will be a lot less work, unless you already have the engine and hate yourself. The exhaust alone will be a work out.
Just an opinion.
TORKER.

jostephy8
12-23-2008, 12:03 AM
I was thinking early years racing with the 200cc two strokes....
Where does someone find a Lifan motor anyway?

Brad200X
12-23-2008, 12:12 AM
stock. blaster motors are WEAK for a 200cc 2 stroke.....like 18 horse or something.

i would think a 125 dirtbike motor would be a much better choice.

if you have the blaster motor, GO FOR IT!!!!! just port the jug for better performance. they are ported very mildly, as they are extremely quiet stock.

X2 I've been thinking about this as well. I think an aircooled KX125 or 175 would be pretty sweet in a 200X. It would be kinda tricky to wedge in there though, what with the bigger pipe and the way the swinger bolt goes through the case.

Tri-Z Pilot
12-23-2008, 12:37 AM
the pipe could be fabbed by a good pipe builder, as for the swingarm/motor mount, i think the blaster motors were longer than x motors, so you could run into trouble there.

i am not one for cross bred machines either (i especially hate chevy motors in mustangs). i think a worked cr125 would be sweet, i believe they had some of those stuffed in 200x's back in the day (or were they R chassis's?). a stock blaster puts out 14hp i'm fairly certain. whats the average for a stock 125 these days?

torker
12-23-2008, 08:53 AM
The newer 125 2 stroke / 250 4 stroke moto X engines put around 40hp +/- but are really expensive and require lots of maintainance, lots...:eek:

A Lifan 200 puts around 16-17 hp and are really reliable for what I've seen. Theyre really cheap to. around $400.00 new.

A Blaster motor could be a powerhouse with 240cc Vito's kit, but not really reliable. Kind of like a race only motor. Not trail worthy. Plus you still need the pipe done. And carb, reeds, piston, etc, etc, etc...
Could be a good project / option if you're willing to spend the $$$$$$.
The pipe itself will be as much as the new lifan.

Your call.

TORKER.

SYKO
12-23-2008, 09:41 AM
dunno about that, lonesometri-z had a 240 blaster out of his WHOLE fleet it was the most reliable machine, he sold it to a freind of mine and hes been riding it ever since without a hiccup.

Tri-Z Pilot
12-23-2008, 08:34 PM
yeah 240's are fairly reliable and a great woods/trails motor, what you been smokin? jk.
i wouldnt use vito's stuff, i have heard horror stories about their ported pistons and other stuff. trenga would be the way to go, but i dont know if they are still in business. great people, and eric knows his trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro when it comes to blasters.

Blown 331
12-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Ive always wanted to put a blaster motor in a tri-z, lighter then the actuall blaster, would make a great trail rig.

I would rather just have a stock TRI-Z or am I missing something?

Brad200X
12-23-2008, 08:52 PM
My '96 KX125 puts out 24hp I believe. I don't think they put out any more or less HP over the years though, at least the ones that are water cooled with the KIPS and what not. My two 125's are equal speed wise in a drag race. I can't believe that a blaster only puts out 14hp! That must be a misprint. Doesn't a stock 1st gen 200X motor put out 14?

scooterroo
12-23-2008, 09:41 PM
A Blaster motor could be a powerhouse with 240cc Vito's kit, but not really reliable. Kind of like a race only motor. Not trail worthy. Plus you still need the pipe done. And carb, reeds, piston, etc, etc, etc...
Could be a good project / option if you're willing to spend the $$$$$$.
The pipe itself will be as much as the new lifan.

Your call.

TORKER.

WRONG!!!! i have owned my blaster going on 5 years now. it has a vito's 240 kit with porting, running a 34 mm carb, v force 3 reeds, fmf gold series pipe, power core 2 silencer, nology hotwire and coil, and it is the most reliable 2 stroke i have ever owned. starts 1st or 2nd kick everytime. and it is a powerhouse. i race it, i ride trails with it, i climb hills with it. i have never had any problems what so ever with it. like i said, the most dependable 2 stroker i have ever owned. i go out riding for hours upon hours at a time, and not a once have i ever had to have that second thought in the back of my head as to where i was worried something might happen to it.

i say go for it, the only limits are your imagination, wallet, and mechanical abilities.

Dirtcrasher
12-23-2008, 09:44 PM
It was my plan last summer to build yet another 86/87 ATC200X with a Blaster motor in it that I had acquired from a quad I bought.... But, then I felt that I'd much rather put a CRF250F motor in one or a stroked and bored/built OEM motor. I'm still working on that stuff now........

I do believe a Blaster motor in a 200X would be super fun. ESP with a pipe, some jetting and a few easy mods......

If you need a Blaster motor for a decent price, hit me up with a PM. I had offered basically 2 motors for short money. And, I';m not a 17yo pimply faced kid on Blaster HQ :D

I also have a DG pipe with the steel silencer stuff all blasted and powdercoated - (I knew the pipe would have to be reworked so it's naked)......

My EX chick that turned LEZZBO, had a stock Blaster jetted with an FMF, block off plate, open lid etc etc and it was very very quick!! I'll never knock the good old BLASTER, or the sexy EX for that matter :lol:

TriMotoMan
12-24-2008, 12:24 AM
I would use the blaster motor, its not the most powerful but i love to ride mine i always have a blast and the 200x is lighter then the blaster so the engine will put out more then enough power

Tri-Z Pilot
12-24-2008, 01:06 AM
WRONG!!!! i have owned my blaster going on 5 years now. it has a vito's 240 kit with porting, running a 34 mm carb, v force 3 reeds, fmf gold series pipe, power core 2 silencer, nology hotwire and coil, and it is the most reliable 2 stroke i have ever owned. starts 1st or 2nd kick everytime. and it is a powerhouse. i race it, i ride trails with it, i climb hills with it. i have never had any problems what so ever with it. like i said, the most dependable 2 stroker i have ever owned. i go out riding for hours upon hours at a time, and not a once have i ever had to have that second thought in the back of my head as to where i was worried something might happen to it.

i say go for it, the only limits are your imagination, wallet, and mechanical abilities.

how is the 240 for bottom end grunt? i bet that beast can rip some mad wheelies, i know mine did with just a pipe and reed spacer, oil injection blocked off, along with the tors removed. that tors unit is junk.

scooterroo
12-24-2008, 03:47 PM
i like it alot. i tell yah i have no problem getting the front end up on that thing. even when i am coming out of corners the front end wants to lift up.

Tri-Z Pilot
12-24-2008, 06:49 PM
well Scoot, you just convinced me to get another one, THANKS! lol I'm running out of room as it is. I think I'm going to get one of the updated ones with hydraulic brakes. The only thing that will be changed is the front plastic/headlight shroud, i dont like the way they look (just like the 450R's and LTZ450's, newer quads are ugly in my opinion). i like those screened hoods for the blaster, makes them look like an LT250R.