PDA

View Full Version : fastest 2 stokes

leevarnado
12-18-2008, 07:49 PM
what was the fastest stock 2 stroke 3 wheeler.

MIK6
12-18-2008, 07:56 PM
who cares???? The newest trike is OVER 20 years old!! There is no such thing as a stock trike any more LOL.
Dirtwheels back in the day said the 86 / 87 Tecate 3 was the fastest at the time.

MIK6 / Mike

Dirtcrasher
12-18-2008, 09:00 PM
I agree, we HAVE to move on...............

BUT!! The Tecates' seem to be super fast! I saw Fabio's Tecate win numerous drags, I think his is an 85?? but smokin fast - IDK what mods he even has but I don't think it's very modded, it's just FAST!!

Given, we didn't have a bunch of modded trikes to drag it, but they did have pipes and other small goodies,

The Tecate just seemed very very FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Autophysn
12-18-2008, 10:27 PM
yeah, have to say that one belongs in the history books.

Bottom line is speed+power=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The Goat
12-18-2008, 10:37 PM
the fastest two stroke bike is....

whichever one I'm not on

Vealmonkey
12-18-2008, 10:47 PM
Fastest in a straight line? I can't believe no one has mentioned the Tiger 500.

fabiodriven
12-18-2008, 10:47 PM
I agree, we HAVE to move on...............

BUT!! The Tecates' seem to be super fast! I saw Fabio's Tecate win numerous drags, I think his is an 85?? but smokin fast - IDK what mods he even has but I don't think it's very modded, it's just FAST!!

Given, we didn't have a bunch of modded trikes to drag it, but they did have pipes and other small goodies,

The Tecate just seemed very very FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yep, DC- It's an 85. CRF pipe, little portwork, Ricky Stator. Not much more. Original nikasil plating. It' just tight. New crank bearings and seals.

Autophysn
12-18-2008, 10:56 PM
This is the only place I have ever seen or heard of the Tiger 500
let alone your bikes Vealmonkey.
That last one you posted ROCKS! I loved the rear end set up

KASEY
12-18-2008, 11:22 PM
i am not sure how many on here can say that they have been over 100MPH on a trike,,,,, i am pretty sure the number is very low!!!!

but i have,, its not that fun!! maybe setup with the right suspension and tires it might not be toooooo spooky!!! it sure was for me,,, so to say what is the fastest trike? it would be the one with the highest gearing and the nut on it twisting the throttle!!!

Micahdogg
12-18-2008, 11:24 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the Tecate. During that era, the KX's were usually faster than the CR's (and RM/YZ). Not "better" mind you, but they would typically clean house in an all out drag race.

Micah

brapp
12-18-2008, 11:47 PM
hey veal monkey i hate to ay it but i was neck and neck with a tiger 500 at trikefest07 numerous times and were within abike length or so and i only have a pipe and a slightly bigger carb on my r and made struts for it thats all?

brapp
12-18-2008, 11:50 PM
i have run a 17-36 gearign in a 350x with 22inch stock tires that got real scary real quick!!!!! but i tried runnign a 15-38 gearign on my 250r and it woudlnt pull over 4th gear unless i seriously abused the clutch but as far as allout balls to the walls i built a 88 lt500 with a 92 gsxr1100 motor in it back in the late 90;s i belive 99 or 2000 i willahve to post pics soemday.

Vealmonkey
12-19-2008, 12:59 AM
I didn't know the thread was about hybrids? I thought about stock production bikes. Alot of bikes can be added pipes and carbs and all kinds of things. What was the fastest out of the box-bone stock. No aftermarket add ons. No porting. No pistons. Just how they came off the show room floor. The Tiger 500 was the only production 500 ever built. I'm not sure if you would count the cagiva or the husky since they were sort of a kit-hybrid.

Autophysn
12-19-2008, 01:04 AM
yeah, he did say stock. So you would have to look at the history books and who did the tests for magazines back then. They would have that info. Oldfart, he would be the man to talk to. Long live three-wheeling magazine thread

cr480r
12-19-2008, 03:36 AM
I didn't know the thread was about hybrids? I thought about stock production bikes. Alot of bikes can be added pipes and carbs and all kinds of things. What was the fastest out of the box-bone stock. No aftermarket add ons. No porting. No pistons. Just how they came off the show room floor. The Tiger 500 was the only production 500 ever built. I'm not sure if you would count the cagiva or the husky since they were sort of a kit-hybrid.

Since the Tigers were made in such small numbers i would hardly consider them "production"... Did they even have a showroom?

The Tecates' seem to be super fast! I saw Fabio's Tecate win numerous drags, I think his is an 85?? but smokin fast - IDK what mods he even has but I don't think it's very modded, it's just FAST!!!!!!!

yep, DC- It's an 85. CRF pipe, little portwork, Ricky Stator. Not much more. Original nikasil plating. It' just tight. New crank bearings and seals.

as it should be...:w00t:

freaksfix
12-19-2008, 10:39 AM
3&4 wheel action may of 1985 2 stroke shoot out...

Overall top speed

250R 76 MPN
T3 70 MPH
Tri-Z 67MPH
Quad racer 66MPH

40-Yard uphill effort
Quad 5.39
250R 5.95
triz 6.40
T3 6.69

brapp
12-19-2008, 11:37 AM
but coinciderign my 250r stillhas the factory pistin and rings and hasnt had an easy life sinc ei hd owned it and can still run with the tiger yeah i have a pipe and a whoping 36mm carb woohoo big diffrences it was stock aside from those smallbolt ons and the removal of forks and shocks for alower meaner stance

Vealmonkey
12-19-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm just giving you a hard time. But it seems like it would be pretty hard to tell what is fastest since there is nothing like a "stock" trike anymore. People have changed sprockets, reeds, pipes, tires and all sorts of other things so 99% of the trikes anymore aren't stock.

Micahdogg
12-19-2008, 12:48 PM

Overall top speed

250R 76 MPN
T3 70 MPH
Tri-Z 67MPH
Quad racer 66MPH

40-Yard uphill effort
Quad 5.39
250R 5.95
triz 6.40
T3 6.69

Interesting. Do you know what model year they tested? 85 or 86? If it was 85, then the 250R would have been the only 6 speed.

As for the tiger....man, I've done a lot of riding in the midwest (since about 1985) and to this day I have never seen a Tri-Z or Tecate three wheeler in the flesh. I've only seen a Tecate4 in the flesh a handful of times. So no worries about running into a Tiger over here :)

Blown 331
12-19-2008, 01:40 PM
My 85 T3 with DG pipe and ricky flywheel rips some severe ass I can tell you that. I have all 3 of the 1985 2-strokes and stock my opinion is T3, 250R then TRI-Z. I'd say the 250R and T3 are close and the TRI-Z is quite a bit slower than the other 2. My 250R now has more mods then the T3 making it faster. I honestly think the TRi-Z and Air cooled R would be a good match.

Hoosier_Daddy
12-19-2008, 01:49 PM
This is an age old argument. I'm old enough to remember being into these trikes when they were new. If you read magazine articles and talk to any HONEST NOT BIASED person who was able to actually compare them the fastest most powerful engine was the 86-87 Tecate 3.

Honda's has a more useable horsepower range and edged out the overall handling.

So, stock for stock, in a drag race the Tecate is your answer. On an MX track, it would completely depend on the rider. A good rider could win with either machine.

I have little info about Tri Z's because i only knew one guy who had one and he didn't hang with us very much. But going by the hearsay, stock Tri Z's were last. I can't confirm that though.

brapp
12-19-2008, 02:02 PM
another thign abotu 2 strokes is no 2 are exactlry alike i had a stock trx250r that was literaly showroom contition that woudl out run my bussys 265 piped proted mx bike

Micahdogg
12-19-2008, 02:10 PM
This is an age old argument. I'm old enough to remember being into these trikes when they were new. If you read magazine articles and talk to any HONEST NOT BIASED person who was able to actually compare them the fastest most powerful engine was the 86-87 Tecate 3.

Honda's has a more useable horsepower range and edged out the overall handling.

That's what I would expect because like I said above, that's exactly how their MX bikes stacked out. The KX was the winner in the overall drag races, but the CR always got the knod for the best overall package including power production. The KX's had a nasty habit of foot pegs saggin which never did get addressed throughout the 80's. Just one of a few quirks that kept the KX in the CR's shadows. But on the race track, there was definitely a LOT of green up front on those holeshots.

P.S. I also found it funny how the YZ's were ranked 3rd, and RM's were a WAY WAY distant 4th. Even in the mid 90's when YZ started getting with the program, the RM's were still junk by comparison. Don't get me wrong, I had a 97 RM250 and loved it, but on the track they just never had it. But then in 2003 they struck gold and OMG you couldn't get enough yellow out there. 03-04-05 were VERY VERY dominant years for Suzuki two strokes and it just never seemed right to me :) In fact, that is about the same time Honda was screwing up their case reed motors with that glitchy electronic powervalve which made them about the worst bike out there. Who would have ever thought the tables would be so turned.

Blown 331
12-19-2008, 03:17 PM
40-Yard uphill effort
Quad 5.39
250R 5.95
triz 6.40
T3 6.69

Basically a drag race and the "heavy quad" won. Hmmm:lol:

Tri-Z 250
12-19-2008, 03:52 PM
3&4 wheel action may of 1985 2 stroke shoot out.

:welcome: 1986 Tri-Z 6speed bye bye 250r:Bounce

Tecate250
12-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Lol. This topic is so funny. There are a few topics that never seem to go away. You might have been racing with a lemon. That was all pimped out and still sucked. Like I think my Tecate is. But I love the handling of my 1985 Tecate. I was half draging a 250r 1986 model and was right with him and we have simalar mods. What was different from 1985-86 250rs?

Dammit!
12-19-2008, 04:03 PM
I hate these threads. :lol:

cr480r
12-19-2008, 04:44 PM
MPH isnt much of an indication of power IMO...

Micahdogg
12-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Probably the most scientific way is to take a handful of the closest to stock 1986 machines (say 3 of each make) and make sure they are in sound mechanical condition, properly jetted, etc.... Then dyno each one of em, weigh each one of em, average the numbers up and then determine the HP/Weight ratio of each model. Then you would know which machine should be "statistically" the fastest even though we know real world results can differ.

That would be interesting info to know.

atctim
12-19-2008, 05:05 PM
:welcome: 1986 Tri-Z 6speed bye bye 250r:Bounce

Not - the sixth gear is not just like adding a whole other gear range - the 6 speeds are just spaced closer together. - just like some of the newer Yamaha dirt bikes are 4 speeds - doesn't make them slower - just a different gearing range.

In my heart (which is Honda red) - I know that 250cc pure stock bikes in a straight line with the same rider in 1986 ranked:

1 - Tecate
2 - 250R
3 - Tri-z

Tri-Z 250
12-19-2008, 05:19 PM
In my heart (which is Honda red) - I love to stirring the pot

1 - Tecate
3 - 250R
2 - Tri-z The beat of my heart sounds like a tuning fork
:beer

Blown 331
12-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Not - the sixth gear is not just like adding a whole other gear range - the 6 speeds are just spaced closer together. - just like some of the newer Yamaha dirt bikes are 4 speeds - doesn't make them slower - just a different gearing range.

Exactly, it freaking drives me nuts when people think 6th gear is an extra gear on top. I've read on here people wanting to add 6th gear for more top end speed more times than I can remember.

freaksfix
12-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Basically a drag race and the "heavy quad" won. Hmmm:lol:

yeah but your only talking 120 feet.. so its all about the holeshot, all the trikes where just getting the front wheel down by 50 feet so they could realy get on it..

Red Rider
12-19-2008, 06:38 PM
I've got an extra set of gears from a 250R transmission. Can I add a gear or 2 to my '86 250R's transmission to make it a 7 or 8 speed? :rolleyes: Would I need R or Z speed-rated paddles if I did?

brrcuda
12-19-2008, 06:41 PM
They are all fast..... the 250s i've ridden at least.....:cool:

In stock form. Tri-z revs out too quick. 250r has a flatter powerband and hits early in the range, but carries through out pretty good. 86 Tecate has a really fun powerband and feels like its going faster than my R.

which one is actually faster, who cares...... They are all fun, but i think the 86 tecate is my favorite for fun factor and coolness factor.

Porting and pipe makes em all fast. The fastest rig I have ridden IMO is my old Tri-z with a seriously ported cylinder. I wish i didnt break the sleeve in half on that one. It was pretty scary in the woods. but big smiles everytime i rode.

Oh yes - fabio finally fesses up to having some motor work done....:lol:

Yamahondaman
12-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Dirtwheels back in the day said the 86 / 87 Tecate 3 was the fastest at the time.
MIK6 / Mike

That's what "they" said because of the DYNO... but i was there to see a 86 ATC KICK THAT KAWI ARSE back in 86-87.... THAT Black Dude that had the "86" KAWI AXED ... "DAYUM !!!! I AIN'T NEVER SEEN NUTT'N WOOP MY RAG" !!
ALSO .... back then there was NO cell phones,weed eater's,Video Camer's ,sooooo
i don't have any proof of the Race..... Races..... "OH COME ON MAN .. LET'S GO AGAIN"!! UMMMMM ... i missed a gear .. you started before me ... ummmm .i was in the sand .. you was in the grass ... mine was Sputering.. ahh come on man ...Let's Run AGAIN !! " and then ............... HE LOST AGAIN !! :-) .. :D

Hoosier_Daddy
12-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Lol. This topic is so funny. There are a few topics that never seem to go away.

I hate these threads. :lol:
haha. It's inherently human to have the inability to give up comparison discussions. We, as humans, have it instilled into our minds to subdue to loyalty for many different reasons. It's why we have favorite sports teams. It's why we argue if Ford is better then Chevy.

At some point in a person's life something happens to cause them to have an a loyalty or "affinity" for certain people, inanimate objects, teams, countries etc.

I am from Indiana and I am a die hard Steelers fan. I was a Steelers fans since before we had the Colts in Indy. I had a teacher who was the greatest person i ever met and helped me greatly in my young life. She was from Pittsburgh and was crazy about the Steelers. That rubbed off on me and the Steelers at that time were just ending their great 70's dynasty so i had a reason to root for them. When the Colts came to Indiana did I just drop the Steelers as my favorite team to root for the home team? Not at all. I remain a die hard Steelers fan to this day. I was a die hard Steelers fan when they were no good in the mid to late 80's.

Why? Because it's a human quality to remain loyal to your comfort. If you happened to get into NASCAR just as Jeff gordon started out and was dominating, it's a good chance you became a Gordon fan and even when he isn't winning you are still a Gordon fan.

Maybe our parents influenced our decisions our our geographical location. Bottom line is, if your a Hinda or a Kawi guy, or a Ford or a Chevy guy, you became so because someone you looked up to influenced you or you happened to get a Honda and loved it and nothing is changing your mind.

I want to say this next statement as a general statement (not to the two guys I quoted for the post) But I see too many people getting bent out of shape when it comes to comparisons and peoples opinions of what is better. An opinion is an opinion and it should be left at that. But if it's my opinion that the Tecates were the most powerful machines because i have experience with them and i have magazine articles who agree, that is more then opinion. It has a basis in fact.

This thread has been in good taste but I've seen these thread get out of hand in the past. People calling names because someone liked Kawi better then Honda. A lot of name calling because of this differing opinions.

The bottom line is, we need these threads. They need to pop up from time to time and it's healthy to partake in them and put in your 2 cents. If you have an opinion admit it. If you have something to back it up, bring it. But, instead of getting frustrated at these threads, we should relish them. But keep it in reason, keep it honest and let the youngsters who didn't have the pleasure of being their get an idea of what it was like when these bikes were stock and the certain things different companies did to deserve their proverbial pats on the back.

Wow, sorry about all that reading. I have taken psychology in college and I got a little carried away there with human nature. Sorry. haha:lol: :naughty:

Blown 331
12-19-2008, 07:54 PM
That's what "they" said because of the DYNO... but i was there to see a 86 ATC KICK THAT KAWI ARSE back in 86-87.... THAT Black Dude that had the "86" KAWI AXED ... "DAYUM !!!! I AIN'T NEVER SEEN NUTT'N WOOP MY RAG" !!
ALSO .... back then there was NO cell phones,weed eater's,Video Camer's ,sooooo
i don't have any proof of the Race..... Races..... "OH COME ON MAN .. LET'S GO AGAIN"!! UMMMMM ... i missed a gear .. you started before me ... ummmm .i was in the sand .. you was in the grass ... mine was Sputering.. ahh come on man ...Let's Run AGAIN !! " and then ............... HE LOST AGAIN !! :-) .. :D

Or maybe it was like Yamaha Wheels magazine today, Oh I mean dirt wheels. The magazine is full of Yamaha ads and Yamaha appears to win every shoot out. Coincodence? Doubt it.

Yamahondaman
12-19-2008, 08:18 PM
DANG Hoosier... TOO MUCH TO READ !!
just kinda "brouse" thru all that Typing MESS ! :lol: .. But ...
Hey Blown .. There ain't NO other 250cc Beat ANY of my RAG's in 200-500 ft., and Like i told MANY Other's ... the ATC Motor I Think was the BEST Motor Made....
Light,Fast,Cool,Nice,Small,Balanced,Etc. ...................
at least the Stator and Fly Wheel ain't NEVER "Flew Off" like them UGLY GREEN Thing's !! HOLARRRRRRRRRRRR :beer

brapp
12-19-2008, 09:18 PM
the legend has spoken and so it was git it ragggggggggg!!!!!!!!!! lol

Tecate 50
12-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Hmmm which small cylinder (combination) to run this year......? I know it is early, but I guess we will all find out at trikefest 09'. Doom is coming....lol!

fabiodriven
12-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Oh yes - fabio finally fesses up to having some motor work done....:lol:

I forgot somebody had done a little porting. I only remembered because I took my reeds out to check 'em out and I saw the port work.

cr480r
12-20-2008, 08:57 PM
I forgot somebody had done a little porting. I only remembered because I took my reeds out to check 'em out and I saw the port work.

Fabio are you running a KX or tecate jug on that thing? what carb?

fabiodriven
12-21-2008, 02:02 AM
Fabio are you running a KX or tecate jug on that thing? what carb?

Far as I know it's a KXT jug. Pretty sure It's just a 34mm Mikuni. I dunno what it is, but the thing just pulls in an almost ungodly-like fashion. God, I love it!:twisted:

Fox250R
12-21-2008, 02:07 AM
Wasnt the 86 tecate like 3 mph faster then the 86 250R? lol

Meat-BoX
12-21-2008, 02:20 AM
I dont know squat but GarageBoy told me after the motocross race at trike fest that my 84-85 Tecate was Damn fast and that he wanted to get one. Maybe he was trying to make me feel good but I tell you the motor is brand new and all stock and its scary fast. :eek: Stock gearing, Upper 60's with my GPS strapped to the bars, too scary to realy take time to look at the mph. T-3 was twitchin at that speed and was on the road. :TrikesOwn
Other than that I guess we need all of the 250 cc 2 strokers that are all stock and newly rebuilt and do a few runs each and then crunch the numbers and see who wins:beer New gig for TrikeFest?

Blown 331
12-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Far as I know it's a KXT jug. Pretty sure It's just a 34mm Mikuni. I dunno what it is, but the thing just pulls in an almost ungodly-like fashion. God, I love it!:twisted:

Dude, thats sounds exactly like mine. And I have a DG pipe, ricky flywheel and as far as I know that is it. But I swear it has major port work done. In first thru 3rd gears as soon as the power band starts to come on you have to let off and you're still straight up and down, it's crazy.