PDA

View Full Version : honda 250es diff

swampystu
12-18-2008, 12:32 PM
hello i have recantaly bought a road legal 85 big red and am wanting to increase the top speed i have been told i need a sx diff. if this is so is it just a straight swap or do i need to change the whole axil? thanks so much

stuart from england:)

SCRAMCHARGER318
12-18-2008, 12:39 PM
all you need to change is the chunk or center section, im almost positve you cant switch out the whole axle becuase i think the es is wider, the swingarm definetly is diffrent.

atctim
12-18-2008, 01:46 PM
the rear gearboxes (250SX and 250ES) are a direct swap - unbolt the one and bolt in the other. Nothing needs changed. I have an SX gearbox on my Big red - it does increase the top speed some - but not a whole lot. Maybe 5 - 7 MPH or so. You will also increase top road speed with a larger diameter rear tire. I would think you may be able to squeeze a 27 inch rear tire on there if you plan to drive it mainly on the roadways. I know a 27 inch rear would bottom out and rub the fenders if you do alot of off roading though.

swampystu
12-18-2008, 03:40 PM
thanks for that. if im only going to increase it by 5-7mph i dont think its worth it. i carnt seem to find a sx diff so have no idea what price thay are. i dont want to increase the tyres cause i do some serious off roading and jumps.

oscarmayer
12-19-2008, 01:46 PM
rear diffs run around $150-$300 depending on condition and location being sold. ebay seems to be a good source for the 250 stuff. i have a 250 es and sx and will be rebuilding them sometime down the road. but the drivelines are in perfect shape, so i'm keepin it :P

Hair Bear Bunch
12-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Hi Swampy,
Still got my TFUK mugs, and I've been wearing the hat this week!
Anyway, I thought the top end on a 250es was supposed to be in the 55mph area - and you want to go faster??!!! You must have armoured underwear.
Good to hear from you,
Rob.

swampystu
12-20-2008, 07:18 AM
i wouldnt say i wear armered underwear, but i will add that to my xmas letter to santa. i think my trike only does about 45mph and its screaming its head of at that and i dont want to do any long distance at that speed, i want to use my trike as a pratical car to save driving my van every where. and of cause do some serious off roading on it.

oscarmayer
12-20-2008, 09:56 AM
could it be that the top end is tired on yours and your not getting best performance? what about tuning and carb upgrades? before you spend tons on other stuff, are you sure it's properly tuned? if it is, then how about looking at carb upgrades? like a 36-38mm carb vs the stocker what 30mm?

Howdy
12-20-2008, 10:05 AM
i wouldnt say i wear armered underwear, but i will add that to my xmas letter to santa. i think my trike only does about 45mph and its screaming its head of at that and i dont want to do any long distance at that speed, i want to use my trike as a pratical car to save driving my van every where. and of cause do some serious off roading on it.

You won't get much more top end of a machine like this.
Howdy