PDA

View Full Version : Dilemna - Big Red 250 or snowmobile? Questions...

MotorCity
12-17-2008, 04:28 PM
I have a dilemna I'm currently having a hard time deciding. I like to ice fish in teh winter, and need something to pull out my shanty on.

I had a 200S last year , but sold it as it didnt have electric start, and at 41, I dont' want to have the "fun" I did last year pullstarting this thing at -5 farenheit. I sold it about two months ago.

So... I have a line on a semi-beat Big Red 250 that I"d like to get, but I"m thinking I may be limited come a certain depth of snow. Thats where I'm maybe thinking I should get a snowmobile?

So my question is: 1). How deep have you guys run your big red 250's in and still have the thing "moving".

2) Anyone else here Ice fish, and have you had any problems driving your big red 250's in snow? Problems? Do I need certain types of tires to gaurantee traction, or ice spikes, chains, etc?

3). Should I get the big red or a cheapy snowmobile to pull my two person flipover shanty onto the ice (with bait, beer, fishfinder, auger, etc).

Appreciate any and all input you can provide.

hondahaulic
12-17-2008, 11:51 PM
Will there be much trail riding or anything to get to the lakes? If there is, a snowmobile might be the better option for bigger drifts. If your just riding on the ice for the most part, I think the trike would do fine. A snowmobile that is actually going to always be dependable is probably going to set you back a lot more than the trike.
Theres a lot more things that can go wrong with a snowmobile than a trike, especially when you start getting into the older ones. If you can get a good deal on the trike and then invest in some good rear tires and ice screws (front and back with the screws) as well as getting it running tip top, I think that would be the way to go. plus, then you'll have a ride for the warmer months too

MotorCity
12-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the input, thats what I"m actually thinking also.

atctim
12-18-2008, 01:42 PM
I have a Big red 250 and I have 25" ITP mudlites http://www.atvyardtrim.com/Images/MUDLITE.jpg on the back - they go really , really well in the snow. I would say 12 inches is about it's maximum for a good steady constant speed. Much more and you spin alot.

MotorCity
12-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Those are some monster tires, thanks Tim.

I"m leaning towards the Big Red. I"ve seen a few sleds, but nothing like I"d want. The big red seems priced right. I"m going to look at it sunday, after this blizzard passes Detroit area.

neil
12-20-2008, 11:08 PM
I use my big red for ice fishing all the time.Your not going to plow through a foot of snow with it but it seems most lakes i fish here in mnnesota usualy have a plowed road or beaten down paths from sleds and other atvs going to most the hot spots ive never run into many problems except bare ice then you aint pullin nothin with out studs

MotorCity
12-28-2008, 03:11 PM
I wonder how the tires ATCTIM recommended would go in deep snow with a ski on the front of a big red?

cajun66
12-28-2008, 03:25 PM
And duallys!! :D

walleyedude
12-29-2008, 12:12 AM
I have both a Big Red and a '90 Arctic Cat Prowler. I use both to pull out the fish house early season but when we get 14" of ice I just use the truck to drive right to fish.

I would go with the big red here but this depends on what kind of trailer you have and how easy it is to load.

In the Twin Cities it seems like we just don't get enough snow to make it worth only using the sled and I think the Honda is more dependable.

heres a pic from today:

MotorCity
12-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Very nice setup Walleyedude!! Very similar to what I have (I have a clam two person flipover, 20 lb propane tank, Marcum LX3 flasher, bait, beer, and tons of jiggin raps and swedish pimples for those walleyes!! ). When I first got this shanty two years ago, I pulled all my trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro out in 16 inches snow with 4 inches slush on bottom, nearly killed me! I was pouring sweat, and totallly wiped out. I sold my 200S couple months back, and will be looking at a big red this week. I'll probably get a snowmobile later on, but I"m set on getting this big red. Cant wait, Michigans just like Minnesota, tons of lakes to fish. Lake St. Clair and Lake Erie in particular are awesome for the walleye. I see many big reds out there pulling their gear.

Regarding minnesota, I actually had a chance to work for Polaris, they needed an engineer to calibrate their fuel injection systems on their ATV's - my wife didnt' want to move to twin cities Minnesota; kinda bummed me out as I was all set on going.

BTW, how much did the chains cost for your big red, and where did you get them?

How is the fishing in Minnesota? What lakes are you hitting for walleye?

walleyedude
12-30-2008, 01:41 AM
Thanks Motor, I like the setup for now but will probably move to a ATV with plow and 4x4 when I can save for it :-(

I use a 11 lb propane tank, Marcum LX3TC and plenty of beer, also use some of the same spoons for walleyes. I fish for Northern Pike quite a bit as well.

I usually fish Lake Minnetonka but get up to Mille Lacs and Lake of the woods when I can get away from the Twin Cities. The walleyes are much harder to catch in the cities especially when you can drive trucks on the ice (Makes is much too easy)

Chains were around 50 and got them from Shadetree (.com)

You should have moved here, many engineering jobs :-)

walleyedude
12-30-2008, 01:45 AM
Also, the fishing can be hit or miss in Metro Minnesota but outside of the city there is a ton of good lakes to fish, especially up north on Lake of the Woods, Red Lake and Leech Lake.

I have heard the walleye fishing can be great on the lakes you noted, I watch them on tv sometime.

MotorCity
12-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Walleye,
I'd love to make it out to Minnesota ice fishing. I did fish Lake Minnetonka on the Rapala X-box game though (I know, doesnt count).

Heres a link from walleye fishing today from a local guy. http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267733
I want to cry when I see walleye like this!

Cant wait to get the big red and hit the lakes.

atc500x
12-30-2008, 02:18 PM
check this,it's very common here in quebec,always one for sale every week...

MotorCity
12-31-2008, 02:40 AM
That thing is very cool!! Whats something like that cost in canadien dollars? I wonder what type of track they used on that? Is wonder if that track is something available for purchase? I'd love to see some video of something like that in action.

atc500x
12-31-2008, 09:51 AM
Habitually the cost is around 700 - 1000 for the track and the front ski,most of time they are for sale with the atc for approx 2000-2500