PDA

View Full Version : 1983 250r engine problem

billybob86
12-15-2008, 07:44 PM
have a 83 250r with new top end on it. my problem is that everytime i want to start it when its cold i have to give it a shot of starting fluid and it will fire right up, then i can shut it off and start it with the kick no problem after that, but once it gets warmed up it just dies and can only be started by pull starting it, and once its pull started it will run for a while and do the same thing, but when it does run it runs great and runs strong but just dies without warning, ive done all i can think of, ive replaced the head gasket top end gasket spark plug, cleaned the carb, put new reeds in it only thing i can think of is some sort of electrical problem in the harness maybe. Has anyone else had this problem?

Saul
12-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Have you checked the floats in your carb bowl to see if they are properly adjusted?

And also - would love to see pics of the bike!! Welcome to the site/forum.

Yamatrike400
12-15-2008, 07:49 PM
How does the plug look when it dies?

fatcat
12-15-2008, 07:56 PM
sounds like my bw 200 when the cdi went out.. if you have a spare throw it on and see what happens

SYKO
12-15-2008, 08:18 PM
sounds like your starving for fuel.

1st check to see if fuel petcock is flwing fuel out well

2nd check to see if fuel line is ok and flowing to carb

3rd make sure there is no obstruction in the fuel inlet above the float needle in the carb

4th check float level

Ive never really heard of nay electrical problems with the old air foolers

welcome to the site.

billybob86
12-15-2008, 09:13 PM
How do i adjust float? the float is loose and springy like it should be but im not aware of any adjustments that can be made, and i dont know what a cdi is can u elaborate please? and the spark plugs are black and a little wet, im running the same mix in my 85 250 r and it runs like a champ and dont have to many spark plug problems, i guess i could take the carb off the 85 and put it on the 83 to c if it helps at all. the petcock flows well and the carb is getting plenty of fuel. and ill try to get some pics up when i can, appreciate all the help if there are any more tips you can give me it would be much appreciated thanks again.