PDA

View Full Version : ok guys last question for my 350x

coleaclark
12-15-2008, 07:39 PM
alright i got it running but it blows out blue smoke does this mean i need a new piston and rings???

Russell 350X
12-15-2008, 07:41 PM
Possibly, or new valve seals.

Dirtcrasher
12-15-2008, 08:19 PM
Last question?? huh?? There will never be a last question.......:lol:

Just like Mr. Manual says - Do a compression test. Any auto parts place can hook you up with a compression tester kit, just make certain the adapter for that tiny 3fiddy spark plug is inside the kit.

So take a reading. Then add about a tablespoon of oil into the plug hole and do it again. If the compression goes up, it shows that there is some kind of piston ring and or clearance issue.

If it stays the same, then you have a leaking valve and or sloppy guide issue.

This establishes whether or not you have a compression loss somewhere.

As far as smoke goes.... It usually goes along with something being worn out. If the above test doesn't show you that the topend needs work, then the valve seals can easily be the reason oil is getting into the combustion chamber. A bad valve seal (maybe from someone installing them) will not affect compression, but it will smoke.

But why would just the valve seals be bad? It's usually a combonation of things that indicate a tired and worn out motor.

A very worn motor has bad valve guides too, which just means that the valve stem that rides within the guide is flopping around and the seal can only tolerate so much side play before it lets oil into the combustion chamber.....

Is the spark plug black and carbon fouled?

coleaclark
12-15-2008, 09:15 PM
the spark plug is black also i have done a compression test and it was good it has alot of conpression and alot of power but it smokes alot also there is a hold in the header its been like that since i got it it back fires alot

Dirtcrasher
12-15-2008, 09:20 PM
Did you do the additional test like I suggested?? Do it up ......

Yep, you should braise that hole shut, it will cause a deceleration POP or as your winding down in any gear - you'll hear it............

sweetip2000
12-15-2008, 11:43 PM
Hi

I have a 1986 350X. Eventually I will get the Goki Starter.
The winter makes it difficult to start.

When it first starts up and warms up it smokes just a little bit but thats it.
It doesnt smoke all the time.

I would spend a full day riding it.
See if it stops smoking after the motor gets a good work out.

I dont get to ride my tree fiddy as much as I would like to.
These old trikes are like women.
If ya dont pay attention to them they wont treat you right.
http://3wheelerworldforums.com/images/smilies/postwhore.gif
BTW Dirtcrasher has helped me out a lot over the years.
Thanks DC !!!

New York back at ya.http://3wheelerworldforums.com/images/smilies/pics.gif

Tri-Z Pilot
12-16-2008, 01:11 AM
you would be surprised how many 350's act like sweettip stated.(the ones i have come across). smoke a little on start up, but calms down once warm. i guess it's just from slightly worn out internals that let oil slip by when cold, but when the motor gets to operating temp, the internals expand into their seats or chambers, and the smoking stops. of course this is just what i believe or recall, as i am no kent jennings. (although i do clean up on childrens jeopardy):lol: