PDA

View Full Version : its running! sort of...

ghost civic
12-15-2008, 05:38 PM
i have a 86 yamaha 225dx. i posted before on how the previous owner put a recoil that pulled the motor over the wrong way.
i havent had cash for a new recoil. so, i started messing around with the one that came on it. i realized that i could make it work in the correct direction. it took me at least 2 hours to get the metal coil in place.
it doesnt work perfect, you got to wiggle the last foot of cord back in.
on the 3rd pull it fired up, then died. i screwed the idle screw in more and got it to stay running.
when i put it into gear, it stalls if i dont give it some gas. i did drive it around the house twice, then stalled it out.
i got it running once more, but i think it flooded cuase it stalled and i couldnt get it running again.
i was running it around the house with the choke on.
i swapped a new spark plug in, but it still wont start.
anyway, it was cool to ride. it was my 1st time on a 3 wheeler.

fatcat
12-15-2008, 07:45 PM
you need to clean that carb. sounds like the float might be sticking or the main jet is stopped up

SYKO
12-15-2008, 08:19 PM
have you adjusted those valves yet? that will ease in starting and running if there adjusted right!

glad you got it to come to life now~! only down hill from here!

ghost civic
12-16-2008, 06:07 PM
well, i wish it had been down hill....
i now need a new recoil for sure. by re-building the recoil to turn the motor the correct way, the cord now gets frayed on the housing. i lost 1' of the cord today., snapped right off when i tried to start it. now there isnt enough cord left to pull the motor over 1 rotation.

i have someone who is willing to pay $250 for it. i know it only needs a recoil and the carb tuned, but i have alittle cash i could add to the $250 and there is a 88 suzuki lt230 that needs nothing. so i may just sell it and try to buy the suzuki. it wont be long before the snow is here and ill be riding my skidoo citation anyway.