PDA

View Full Version : Help with 200x

djkawash
12-15-2008, 11:28 AM
I got a 85 200x and I am having two problems:

1) The engine starts and runs awesome, but whenenver it is running there is a loud ticking noise that can be heard over the exhaust. Anyone have a clue what this is and how to fix it?

2) My rear brake caliper is leaking. don't really have the money now to get a rebuild kit. anyone see a problem with using the parking brake lever as my brake?

rugabugadouglas
12-15-2008, 12:01 PM
timing chain maybe

fatcat
12-15-2008, 04:47 PM
i would say you need to adjust the valves.. as far as seals go just make sure the bolt that holds the brake line on is tight... it may be loose causing it to leak

Dirtcrasher
12-15-2008, 05:02 PM
I got a 85 200x and I am having two problems:

1) The engine starts and runs awesome, but whenever it is running there is a loud ticking noise that can be heard over the exhaust. Anyone have a clue what this is and how to fix it?

I'd adjust the valves but if it's still noisy it's the timing chain and guides. Available at Dennis Kirk in a kit that seems to work well with a DID chain.... It also gives you a chance to clean and inspect the oil pump.

2) My rear brake caliper is leaking. don't really have the money now to get a rebuild kit. anyone see a problem with using the parking brake lever as my brake?

Go ahead and use it, it will be working similar to a Blaster manual caliper. But, I'd take the mechanism apart and grease it as they seize up often. Remember that if your caliper is leaking out, then it's letting garbage in too..........

djkawash
12-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Thanks, i already adjusted the valves and it made the same noise thats why I asked. I'll look at a new guide and chain.

Dirtcrasher
12-15-2008, 08:37 PM
There are so many 83-85 200X motors out there that are noisy as hell!!!

To be honest, it won't hurt anything until it gets so worn that the timing chain starts tearing apart the aluminum parts next to where it rides. Every noisy 83-85 200X motor that I've run into was just that.....

But, you have to buy both guides and the new chain - I think it runs about 100$ total and resolves the issue. I generally find the sprockets to be near perfect, but if questionable at all, I'd junk those too.... I bet they will look fine though.

I hate the noise and I like a nice tight running motor myself. And like I said, it gives you a chance to clean the oil rotor too while your in there.

Grab the parts and a Vesrah complete gasket set too and as long as everything else is tight, you'll be tight and running smooth for about 150$.

Of course, I would take the opportunity to bore it out, port it, add a larger cam - I'm teasing, stuff gets expensive REAL FAST!!!

Anyhow, just take care of the basics and you'll be glad you did!!

And as far as the brake caliper goes.... Hyperparts has a rebuild kit for about 25$ and search some posts here, follow the instructions and you'll be all set.

200$ and your all fixed kid!! :D

Mrs.Mosh
12-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Our old 84 200x had a tick.
My husband used to loosen the bolt, on top the case when it was running, and the noise would stop for a few days. I dont remember the exact procedure.
That was the timing chain adjuster, I think. And periodic maintenance suggested that be done on that bike.
Eventually, he had to rebuild it. But it ran good that way for almost a year. Just had to keep adjusting that chain tensioner..