PDA

View Full Version : help with my tri-z

turboaddict
12-15-2008, 03:13 AM
so after a year of not using the tri-z , i'm attempting to rectify the overheat issue that i thought was fixed. the engine was rebuilt and stage one yamawrench stuff was done at that time. head was milled to the specs from yamawrench so it was flat going on, and torqued to specs. unfortunately i have what seems to be a blown head gasket. combustion is leaking into the cooling system. cinching the bolts down slowed it to a champagne fizz. could compression just be too high? or did the machine shop not surface the head correctly? or is the cylinder warped? :wondering thanks!

LonesomeTriZ
12-15-2008, 05:27 AM
All of the above if a possibility. Get everything miked if you are unsure of the machine work. Bad head gaskets are a common issue along with the impellors.

clutchcargo
12-15-2008, 06:55 AM
I went through this exact problem for 2 years. I swapped heads, jugs, waterpumps, rad caps and cleaned out the cooling system and it still did it! So you're not alone! I finally got so frustrated with it, that I swapped out the engine.

Personally, I think it's a head issue. I may have 2 bad heads. So, I am going to rebuild the stock engine with a new non-oem fiber-type head gasket and torque it down a little tighter to 22 ft lbs. and see what happens. I have used a Cometic fiber head gasket on the other engine and didn't have any problems with it. I have since installed a Sprock coolhead {which uses o-rings} and love it. This may be a good way to go if you continue to have issues.
Oh, and also make sure ALL of your coolant hoses are routed correctly. Especially from the resovoir to the radiator. Keep me posted.

turboaddict
12-16-2008, 01:43 AM
so does anyone have a souce for the fiber type gaskets? a search only turned up the vezrah gaskets which are metal.

on a seperate note i have a blown gasket, but i dont know if its a chicken or the egg type of thing. i had heavy detonation as evidenced by a nice melt spot in the center of the crown. this might have been from when i was at sand mountain and used it and it overheated the last time. the head gasket has a burn spot in the fire ring area. the trike was running good with no signs of ping that i could hear, and has always been run on 91 w/ good 2 stroke oil.

Tri-Z Pilot
12-16-2008, 02:13 AM
possibly the overheating warped the head, which then created a lean condition which then started a meltdown? i believe there is an oldschool way to check for head warpage. try layin the head face down on a pane of glass, then try to run a feeler gauge under the head to check for high spots indicating warpage.

you may want to look into those sprock coolheads also, word is their pretty slick

clutchcargo
12-16-2008, 12:31 PM
I think I got the Cometic head gasket from either Dennis Kirk or Rockymountain. But, you'll have to check.

I agree with Tri-z pilot. You probably warped the head when you overheated it.
Also, keep in mind that if you're not jetted correctly, you'll run hot!

honda250sx
12-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Get a coolhead from sprock. solve all issues.

turboaddict
12-16-2008, 11:24 PM
well i have been battling the overheat thing since rebuild. when i checked the plug shortly after rebuild it looked good. ill replace the head gasket check for wapage and go from there. thanks for the help. i

Tryzeedudeman
12-18-2008, 01:03 AM
This may be a far cry, but if you havn't already, make sure your thremostat is open and functioning properly. I see guys get rid of them all together because of being problematic. Good luck