PDA

View Full Version : 85 Big Red - Brake Job issue

walleyedude
12-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Got the new brake pads on fine but now I compressed the pads as much as i can see and I cannot put the brake drum back on.

Any tips?

Pics here, note the old pad :-)

http://webpages.charter.net/snowdogg/pics/IMG_6525.JPG
http://webpages.charter.net/snowdogg/pics/IMG_6527.JPG
http://webpages.charter.net/snowdogg/pics/IMG_6528.JPG

DeePa
12-14-2008, 11:17 PM
sometimes a lip gets worn in the drum where the pads dont ride. how close is it to fitting? you may have to sand/grind out that little 1/8" lip to get it to slide over...

Nick_R_23
12-14-2008, 11:56 PM
Also make sure you have both brake cables adjusted out all the way. Clean up the inside of the drum too, the brake dust and mud/dirt/water can easily build up in there.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

oscarmayer
12-15-2008, 09:46 PM
i see there's a little bit of an angle on the expanding peice. it needs to be perfectly centered, that usually means removeing the rear adjusting nut and letting the lever fall freely. once you get the drum on, you should then be able to out the cables back on.

walleyedude
12-15-2008, 10:26 PM
i see there's a little bit of an angle on the expanding peice. it needs to be perfectly centered, that usually means removeing the rear adjusting nut and letting the lever fall freely. once you get the drum on, you should then be able to out the cables back on.

Thanks Oscar.

Do you mean unscrew the top adjustment all the way and make that expanding piece straight?

Thanks

Howdy
12-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks Oscar.

Do you mean unscrew the top adjustment all the way and make that expanding piece straight?

Thanks
yep, that is what should work.
Howdy

oscarmayer
12-15-2008, 11:19 PM
^ see great minds think alike. ;)

yea i know my techy lingo for this stuff isn;t up to par "yet" but i try to espain what I'm talking abotu so ya'll understand a little easier. now if this were computers, hey I'm right there! I'm a server geek by trade. ;)

walleyedude
12-16-2008, 12:22 AM
Thanks Guys, I will finish this job in a couple days.

It is 10 below zero tonite!!

oscarmayer
12-16-2008, 11:05 AM
skrdy cat! :P no pain, no gain!!! ;)

freaksfix
12-16-2008, 11:11 AM
You might wanna take that expanding preice out and clean it good and put a little grease on it while your at it... they get crudded up and tend to hag up in the backing plate and not allow it to return...

SCRAMCHARGER318
12-16-2008, 11:14 AM
also make sure you grind a tapered edge where the end of the shoes meet the metal backing, if you don't it might catch on the drum and might make the brakes lockup, that is striaght out of my clymer manual. i also do that whenever i do drum brakes on anything cars,trucks,atv's. it will also make the drum go on easier.

SCRAMCHARGER318
12-16-2008, 11:16 AM
oh and make sure you get some brake lubricant and grease the backing plate where the shoes meet it, and the brake cam.

oscarmayer
12-16-2008, 11:35 AM
oh and wear gloves to keep your hands clean.

and use brake cleaner ont carb cleaner. carb cleaner has a very slight amount of oil where brake cleanrer does not.

:P

Jonpin
12-16-2008, 04:14 PM
is it just me or does it seem like every time you take a big red out you need to over haul the brakes i got mine working great took it out a couple times and now there basicly worthless .there eaither locked up or going to the ground with slack ,im going to try scramcharger318's advise and see what happens ,i need my bike up to par for christmas going out for 3 to 4 days with it :)

TravEX
12-16-2008, 04:47 PM
I put new pads and brake work on mine about 2 years ago. I have yet to even re-adjust them. If you clean em up good and all the seals are good, they last. On the other hand, mine never sees mud or water, I use the others for that, hehe.

SCRAMCHARGER318
12-16-2008, 04:52 PM
oh and wear gloves to keep your hands clean.

and use brake cleaner ont carb cleaner. carb cleaner has a very slight amount of oil where brake cleanrer does not.

:P

speaking of brake parts cleaner, anyone ever get that stuff in they're eyes, if you haven't dont, becuase you'll pray for death if you do. OUCH!!:banned:

TravEX
12-16-2008, 04:59 PM
YES! I got both eyes full several monthes ago spraying out a carb bowl. Hurts like hell, I've never been more pissed at myself! LOL

Jonpin
12-16-2008, 05:07 PM
yea in florida thats basicly all i get is water and mud and the seals are questionable on the bike i know thats the problem but i hate it .

DeePa
12-16-2008, 06:02 PM
then again, you dont really need brakes on a big red/sx...

walleyedude
12-17-2008, 12:49 AM
You might wanna take that expanding preice out and clean it good and put a little grease on it while your at it... they get crudded up and tend to hag up in the backing plate and not allow it to return...

Thanks, I think I can find what kind of grease to use in the Clymer.

Gotta get some brake lubricant too.

walleyedude
12-17-2008, 12:51 AM
skrdy cat! :P no pain, no gain!!! ;)

haha, get up here and come out ice fishing with me :-) We will show you some cold weather.

Jonpin
12-17-2008, 04:05 AM
then again, you dont really need brakes on a big red/sx...

thats what i was thinking right befor i smashed into the back of my friends bike i didnt get hurt but i bent it up a lil bit .had the option to hit a person a tree or a bike i went with the bike it was a quad anyways :) basicly brand new with a cracked brake light and dented muffler now .

walleyedude
12-21-2008, 10:54 PM
I wanted to stop in and thank everyone, finished the brake job last week and the rear brakes work great now.

Also got some new oil in and hope it runs well for me in this cold weather!