PDA

View Full Version : Toasted my 350x motor?

Fisherman2008
12-11-2008, 05:33 PM
I really screwed up....

I went out to my '85 350x (which had been sitting for about a year), added a bit of gas and kicked it over --- it started right up, but made a terrible screeching sound. I shut it down and checked the oil and it was full of gas, like several cups worth....(freak out time). I can't believe I was too dumb to check the oil BEFORE I started it up, but what's done is done.

So -- what now? I'm guessing I've probably damaged my crank bearings, scored my crank, etc, but I'm not experienced enough with ATV motors to really know.

I'm open to suggestions....

Thanks,

Terry

Yamatrike400
12-11-2008, 05:39 PM
How long did you run it?

Fisherman2008
12-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Less than 10 seconds -- long enough for me to have a heart attack, then fumble around and hit the kill switch...

i58829
12-11-2008, 05:46 PM
I would guess that the head was lacking oil after sitting so long. Maybe something got a little plugged up in the oil lines over time...

Blown 331
12-11-2008, 05:48 PM
I'd change the oil and start it again. A friend of mine drained the oil on his ATC200 and then accidently rode it for 2 hours until it locked up. When it cooled it started turning over again. He put oil in it and it still runs! lol.

Fisherman2008
12-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Two hours! Wow, that gives me some hope for mine -- I've actually owned it since I bought it brand new back in '86 and kept it in really good shape...I'll change the oil tonight and try it again.

Thanks!

Terry

blue27
12-11-2008, 06:18 PM
sounds like the top end was starved for oil, try it again with fresh oil (make sure you put the oil filter in right if you change it, if installed backward will starve the top end of oil and normally trash the cam and head). Hopefully eveything will be alright, the bottom ends are all but bulletproof so if there is an issue it will be the cam and head. Good Luck

Dirtcrasher
12-11-2008, 06:30 PM
I too bet that you heard the crank starving for oil... Incorrect response :D The crank bearings wouldn't be hurt in the least at this point...

EDIT - Just typing and not thinking here - meant to say top end cam journals............

Once it's screeching, the damage begins.... Hope there wasn't too much damage but all you can do is hope..... The crank will be fine, it's that aluminum journal in the head that gets scored real quick.

rdlsz24
12-11-2008, 06:31 PM
A friend of mine drained the oil on his ATC200 and then accidently rode it for 2 hours until it locked up. When it cooled it started turning over again. He put oil in it and it still runs! lol.

Gotta love a Honda

Rob

Blown 331
12-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Gotta love a Honda

Rob

Yeah, if I was not there I would not belive it. We were running them hard too, lots of mud etc.

The Goat
12-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Watch the Briggs videos of 24 hours without oil. It's crazy.

brapp
12-11-2008, 09:43 PM
change the pil; out mabey do it twice and add soem fresh oil toru the cape wher eyou adjust your valve tapets to make shure ther eis oil in the head when you fir eit this time kick it over numerous times with the kill switch off to make shur eit isnt aberign or somethign and then try startign again but have hand ready for killswitch

Fisherman2008
12-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

I replaced the oil & filter last night (I kicked it over a bunch of times with the kill off), and then when I started it -- the same dang screeching scound. I was right on the kill switch so it was barely a second before it shut it down.

I opened the oil filter cover and kicked it over (engine off), and it seemed to be pushing oil out, but not sure where to go next...

Thanks,

Terry

blue27
12-12-2008, 01:31 PM
well, two things you can do, one pull the tank off and remove the valve covers, look in there and see if you can see cam damage, or two I was thinking it MIGHT be a clutch, try working the clutch while kicking it over even put in a high gear and rock it or push it a couple of feet. My thinking is, and it is a long shot, that maybe the clutch is dry and is squeeling or the gas ruined the fiber plates, it is a long shot.

Trikeaholic
12-12-2008, 01:52 PM
I just ran mine, hard, in the snow we got after it had been sitting at least since mid summer, glad I had no problems but I do add a little "prolong" to the oil in all my stuff.

Dirtcrasher
12-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Hmmmmmmm, I'll tell ya how I'd find it..................

I would also pull the tank and remove the valve caps.

Then pull out the spark plug too.

Put the rear end up on blocks but do so that you can spin the tires yourself without it tipping over. Using your hands and maybe the help of someone, click it into 1st gear and spin the engine over with the rear tires and give it a listen. Do the same thing through all 6 gears, no clutch is necessary.... Each higher gear will spin the engine faster and faster and I'm willing to bet you can narrow down the noise.

If it sounds like it's in the lower end your gonna have to remove the left and or right side cover and perform the same test.

I have a good feeling that this will help you get to the root of the noise and or damage. Something got gas-washed or had a lack of oil on startup.

GOOD LUCK!!

Xowner
12-12-2008, 08:13 PM
def pull the tank and the rocker caps and see if you got oil up there. but i am too leaning to the clutch head a two stroke that would leak all the gas into the crank case if you left the petcock on. well when i did it as soon as i started had this horriable screeching noise. was the clutch plates.

big schott
12-13-2008, 12:36 AM
My 1985 350X likes to make squeeling noise when its cold from time to time and it is the clutch also.

I don't want to tell you to run the machine but, if it is not the clutch you are probably going to have to rebuild it anyway. I would make sure you have oil and start it up and run it a little bit ( :30 seconds). Make sure you can put it gear and ride it a little. If it goes away it probably was the clutch.:confused: