PDA

View Full Version : 85 ATC 110- weak spark, no start

s10xtremist
12-07-2008, 10:53 PM
First, the pertinent story:
I bought this 110 to have as a cheap toy a few weeks ago. It needed a starter rope so I didn't even know if it ran when I bought it. I replaced the rope and yanked on it not expecting it to start. About the 10th pull it started and I was able to keep it running by playing with the throttle and choke. I let it die a few times and restarted it with one or two pulls every time. I finished my evaluation and it sat covered under a tarp for two weeks.

Now, my problem:
Today, I got it ready to take my first ride. I pulled on the rope at least 20 times without so much as a sputter. I know it's getting gas so I figured the spark plug was fouled. I pulled it out, cleaned it, and plugged the wire back on it to see the spark. It didn't seem to be sparking most of the time, and when it did spark, it was a pathetic yellow flake. The ignition components tested good according to the Clymer manual and the plug itself appears to be nearly new.

So, what should I do now? It goes from starting/running surprisingly well to no start, and the only thing I touched was the rear axle bearings and seals. Is there anything else I should check before I start replacing parts on it?

boosted96cobra
12-07-2008, 11:11 PM
I bet if you get a new plug it will run, sounds like you need to clean the carb and adjust it properly.

codemanlyons
12-07-2008, 11:20 PM
if the plug dosent fix it you might look into a pickup coil...

s10xtremist
12-08-2008, 07:40 AM
The carb definitely needs refreshing and adjusting. Will any carb rebuild kit on eBay suffice?

I'll get a new plug today and I have another pickup coil on a spare motor I'll try. I'll post my results when I get the parts on. Thanks for the suggestions.

codemanlyons
12-09-2008, 01:53 AM
i would just try a good cleaning first and hope you get it figured out