PDA

View Full Version : New project..red 84 tecate

boosted96cobra
12-07-2008, 07:03 PM
I picked this up from a forum member along with another frame and boxes and boxes of parts. Hope to make it a rider I can beat on.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll292/sagep11/IMAG0021-1.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll292/sagep11/IMAG0020-1.jpg

Blown 331
12-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Looks decent. I just picked up a red 85 myself. It's my first Kawasaki 3-wheeler and I do like it a lot.

BigGreenMachine
12-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Looks real complete to me. Thats a great base for a rider.

What kind of rider, dune machine? Technical trails? Fast trails?

boosted96cobra
12-07-2008, 07:40 PM
What ignition system is useable with lights?

Blown 331
12-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Did you get lights with it? Mine does not have any.
Why are you asking about ignition? Are you looking for more performance or do you have a stator problem?

BigGreenMachine
12-07-2008, 07:55 PM
If its stock then the stock ignition is setup for lights.

KX and PVL won't allow lights. Stay away from Ricky Stator stator plates. Their flywheel combined with a rebuilt stock stator plate works great and is a reliable option.

boosted96cobra
12-07-2008, 07:55 PM
It runs fine, But I don't want my magnets coming off and ruining stuff if you know what I mean. I used the ricky stator fly on my other one and have heard of bad things with the timing, and my other one had it that blew up for some unknown reason.....

boosted96cobra
12-07-2008, 07:57 PM
All the extra parts I got:
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll292/sagep11/DSC_3906.jpg
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll292/sagep11/DSC_3907.jpg
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll292/sagep11/DSC_3908.jpg
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll292/sagep11/DSC_3909.jpg
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll292/sagep11/DSC_3910.jpg
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll292/sagep11/DSC_3911.jpg
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll292/sagep11/DSC_3912.jpg

Blown 331
12-07-2008, 07:58 PM

KX and PVL won't allow lights. Stay away from Ricky Stator stator plates. Their flywheel combined with a rebuilt stock stator plate works great and is a reliable option.

That is exactly what I have. Ricky Flywheel then I soldered a new ignition winding into my stock stator. Works great and man this thing runs its ass off. I've heard some people say they noticed a huge increase in power with the Ricky flywheel. I bought mine non-running because of a stator problem so I cannot comment on power increase.

boosted96cobra
12-07-2008, 07:59 PM

O.k. so I can use the flywheel with stock stuff, I really liked the ricky stator flywheel...it's just the plates that are off?

Blown 331
12-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Wow, that is a lot of good stuff. And spare red fenders too. Nice. I'm working on getting another red front fender on ebay or I'd ask if you'd like to sell it.

boosted96cobra
12-07-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm gonna tear this one down and clean some stuff up and when it is together then I will prolly sell off some spare parts.

scooterroo
12-08-2008, 09:41 PM
if i were you i would put them miaer rear fenders you have on it when riding, and keep them oem's in a safe place. you dont stumble upon them in that nice of shape, and if you do, you will pay for them probably.

fabiodriven
12-08-2008, 10:29 PM
Nice ride, Cobra! Welcome to the club.

I'm gonna speak up for Ricky Stator here. I've been running my Ricky Stator flywheel/stator combo for probly over two years now with no issues whatsoever. There was a significant power gain when I installed them and my lights have always worked fine. Starts first kick, warm or cold, every time. This is just my experience, though.

Now, I always hear people saying to stay away from Ricky Stator, but I have never seen anyone post that have personally had any problems with them. That's not to say it doesn't happen. I'd just like to hear firsthand from people what has gone wrong with their Ricky Stator stuff.

boosted96cobra
12-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Nice ride, Cobra! Welcome to the club.

I'm gonna speak up for Ricky Stator here. I've been running my Ricky Stator flywheel/stator combo for probly over two years now with no issues whatsoever. There was a significant power gain when I installed them and my lights have always worked fine. Starts first kick, warm or cold, every time. This is just my experience, though.

Now, I always hear people saying to stay away from Ricky Stator, but I have never seen anyone post that have personally had any problems with them. That's not to say it doesn't happen. I'd just like to hear firsthand from people what has gone wrong with their Ricky Stator stuff.

This is my second 84 tecate, I have the one in my sig also.

I also got 2 sets of oem rear red fenders and one miaer...but that one is trashed.

I have been looking at parts and with the spare frame, I have forks, front hub with drum, triples, couple swing arms, tank, rear carrier and axle spare plastics, couple radiators, maybe I'll try to make another one too....

BigGreenMachine
12-08-2008, 11:32 PM
I've had two stators from them. Both were bad. This is fact. When I rebuilt my stock stator plate it ran 100% but not with the RS setup.

The stator plates are timed wrong from the factory where he gets them. The flywheels are great items to have.

Shawn72
12-09-2008, 03:45 AM
Man i love those Red Tecates!!!

fabiodriven
12-09-2008, 07:06 PM
I've had two stators from them. Both were bad. This is fact. When I rebuilt my stock stator plate it ran 100% but not with the RS setup.

The stator plates are timed wrong from the factory where he gets them. The flywheels are great items to have.

Hmmm.. Well, there's one (or two) doccumented cases. Funny, mine seems to work fine. Maybe I just got lucky.

boosted96cobra
12-09-2008, 07:57 PM
I ordered a flywheel, should be here tomorrow. it's an rmstator which by the looks of everything is the same as the ricky stator. The stator in mine is fine I ust don't want the flywheel coming apart on me.

I started stripping and cleaning/painting the spare frame I have. I am going to get it nice then transfer the parts over.

boosted96cobra
12-09-2008, 08:13 PM
i also noticed my carb has been bored out.... I also need a clutch cable, throttle cable, and a fuel petcock.

BigGreenMachine
12-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Banshee petcock works and is cheap to find new on ebay.

3Razors
12-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Hmmm.. Well, there's one (or two) doccumented cases. Funny, mine seems to work fine. Maybe I just got lucky.

I've personally had 3 that were no good, and my cousin has went through 2 of them. And I know of a few members on the other site with the same result. Actually you are the only case where it has been reliable that I've heard of. But if its working, stick with it :beer

If it were me I would rebuild the stock stator with a new coil from moose or electrex.

boosted96cobra
12-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Awesome, thanx, I have about 7 friends all with banshees. Seems most people in N utah that go duning ride them. Oh BTW guys, the stator in it works fine, and yes if I have a problem i will rewrap a stock one, since I have like 5 of them.

the tecate kid
12-11-2008, 08:52 AM
What kind of swingarm is that Coba? Looks like a champion front half and a different back half?

Dirty
12-11-2008, 10:16 AM

I've personally had 3 that were no good, and my cousin has went through 2 of them. And I know of a few members on the other site with the same result. Actually you are the only case where it has been reliable that I've heard of. But if its working, stick with it :beer

If it were me I would rebuild the stock stator with a new coil from moose or electrex.

Working myself on a -85 Red Tecate, have read about the magnets loosening. It runs great but want to prevent a failure before it happens.

Will just a new Flywheel help or do i need to replace the stator also?

Dont want to hi-jack this thread or anything so if u can help out more can be read about my trike and questions following the link in my signature.

Thanks in advance!

/Johan

fabiodriven
12-11-2008, 06:16 PM
There's no problem with doing just the flywheel.

BigGreenMachine
12-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Check the screws that hold the stator coils onto the stator plate. I've had them back off and trash my stator. On a ride one day and out of nowhere the motor dies. Pulled it home and thats what I found.

Corey Sprock told me about the bad timing on the Ricky Stator stator plates.

Also, Dovesprings250R? had a Ricky Stator setup go bad on him no more then a month ago in his 84/85.

scooterroo
12-11-2008, 08:06 PM
yes it is the stator plate themselves. not the fly wheel or coils. i have heard soemthing about the timing marks are wrong or something. can cause the motor to run hot and possibly cause melted pistons or blown motor.

you can always do like fabio has and soilder the new coils in on the old stator plate and go with the ricky flywheel. then you know your timing marks are right.

question on the one pic with just the frame and what appears to be a whitish colored tank. is it white or just really faded red? if it is white, is it white plastic or painted white?

boosted96cobra
12-11-2008, 09:13 PM
What kind of swingarm is that Coba? Looks like a champion front half and a different back half?

Yes that is a champion that has was modified to be a bit longer. I have toyed with the idea of using it the way it is or maybe putting it back to a +2. Or of course just using a tock one and maybe see if anyone else may want it. My green 84 is like +6 or +8 and I can't throw it around, so I'd like a close to stock one to toss around a bit.

question on the one pic with just the frame and what appears to be a whitish colored tank. is it white or just really faded red? if it is white, is it white plastic or painted white?

Yes it is just a red tank painted white. :confused:

fabiodriven
12-11-2008, 10:59 PM
[QUOTE=scooterroo;683104]

you can always do like fabio has and soilder the new coils in on the old stator plate and go with the ricky flywheel. then you know your timing marks are right.
QUOTE]

Actually, I have the whole Ricky stator.

BigGreenMachine
12-12-2008, 12:14 AM
+2 is still pretty flickable. Stock length these things are wheelie machines!

boosted96cobra
12-12-2008, 12:39 AM
Yeah I have always heard +2 is were they should have made them.

scooterroo
12-12-2008, 08:58 PM
just got myself a +2 Franks for mine. and yeah they should of been built with a longer swinger.

Blown 331
12-12-2008, 09:09 PM

I did that exact thing.

boosted96cobra
12-22-2008, 12:21 AM
O.k. A little update, I was stripping the paint on the motor, so I took out the reed cage to have a look, and the piston looked really bad. So I pulled the top end off and the top end is shot! Now I have 2 tecates sitting in need of top ends. I never even got to ride this one.