PDA

View Full Version : No Spark on 81 ATC 70

weazel
12-07-2008, 05:57 PM
I need help guys and gals. I just got this ATC for my daughter and I cant seem to get any spark. Here are the details

-New Coil, (was bought and installed before I got it, but previous owner could not get spark either so he bought this one)
-Cleaned the points, and adjusted as per specs .12-.16
-Checked the on off switch and that functions properly
-Checked the wiring and all seems ok
-Ohmed out the Coil and I get 4.8ohms on the Primary side, and nothing on the plug wire side, not sure why.
-Cant get any continuity through the spark plug cap. (Cap and Wire are new came with the Coil)

I think that is everything that I have done. Please help me out I cant for the life of me figure out what is wrong. I dont want to spend a lot of money on parts that are not going to take care of it, but not sure what else I can do.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

rugabugadouglas
12-07-2008, 06:14 PM
clean your grounds?

weazel
12-07-2008, 06:17 PM
There are not much for grounds that I can see, I did clean under the coil where it attaches to the frame. Other than that I dont think there are any more. Please let me know if I'm missing any.

blue27
12-07-2008, 06:40 PM
on the 70s points go bad, cleaned or not, swap them out with new ones

weazel
12-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Ok, I will pick up some new points.

Here is another question. How do you test to see if the condenser is good?? It looks like a real pain in the butt to change that.

weazel
12-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Update,

Well I could not get the coil to test good, so just to double check brought it to a local dealership and they tested it and told me it was good. Thanks Gosh!! That is one thing to check off my list

I also picked up a new points, condenser and spark plug and Plug cap. With all of that I should be able to get this thing fired up. I will let you all know what happens.

weazel
12-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Ok, well I changed the points and the plug. What do you know I have spark!!!!! Yeah!!!!! But.......After so many pulls the spark peaters out until there is nothing left. I then wiggle the plug in the cap and I get a little bit of spark, seems the longer I leave it the more spark I get, but it will eventually go away.

Is this just a timing issue or a conderser issue??? Please help now.

TravEX
12-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Did you change the condenser with the points? If not, I would.

As far as the plug wire not having continuity through the cap, I don't know why, but some of mine don't, but run perfectly. I don't know if it's too much resistance in the cap for the voltmeter to detect continuity or what.

TravEX
12-08-2008, 10:44 PM
And, the adjustment of the points IS your timing adjustment. Will it start?

weazel
12-08-2008, 10:57 PM
I did get a new condenser, but I did not change it. Looked like a lot of work and delicate work so I'm a little cautious about doing it.

I do get a nice bright blue spark, intitially, and lots of it. But like I said slowly dwindles.

I dont have my gas tank on the machine right now, I'm repairing it. I did try to spray some gas into the carb, but it did not fire. Not sure if the spark was gone at this point or not.

I could change the cap, since I did get a new one but I dont think that is the problem. Is the Condenser a pain to change???

TravEX
12-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Just need a good soldering iron. Melt the old contacts off and melt the new ones on. Just don't get the condenser too hot.

weazel
12-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Alright, I'll give it a shot. I hope that cures the problem

weazel
12-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Well put a new condenser in and adjusted the timing and BAM!!!! I got a nice blue spark.

Here is the next problem, it is now backfiring through the carb and will not start at all. Is this just a timing issue, or carb issue. Thanks again for all of your help