PDA

View Full Version : Need info on this trike please

MattR
12-05-2008, 03:26 AM
I recently aquired a Tri-Rod. Does anybody have any info on these? I am not even sure what year it was made or who made it. Only thing I know is I got a sweet deal on it and could not pass it up..lol. Not even sure what it would be worth if I decided to sell it. Have not tried to start it, yet the motor is not seized so at least there might be hope for it.

Thanks,
Matt

factoryX
12-05-2008, 07:41 AM
first off, get it out of the snow, wash it off with a pressure washer of some sort, and then take pics...

MattR
12-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Garage is stacked plump full of things so no way to get it out of the snow at this time. Most that I can do is use an air nozzle to blow it off because a pressure washer uses water which will give it a nice layer of ice over everything. I will go and get rid of the snow sometime today and post different pics. Just thought maybe somebody may have heard of these and have some info even if mine has a layer of snow on it.

Matt

88 Turbo Coupe
12-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Looks like a JC Penney ride

Tri-Z 250
12-05-2008, 01:23 PM
My left kiddney is going over this with the right one.....Yes this machine gonna make us BLEED! JC Penny confirmed.

MattR
12-05-2008, 02:49 PM
I was thinking it might be one of those that the department stores offered decades ago, yet was not sure.

Cleared off as much snow as I could. I found it was made by Arms Industries. I have added more pics as well. The drive system is sorta like what you would see on a snowmobile. The engine has a belt driven clutch then goes to a chain and sprocket. ATV tires on the rear and what looks like a lawn tractor tire on the front. Even has shocks on the front.

What price range would this thing bring? If only scrap price, then I might have some fun with it and throw a snowmobile engine on the thing and hope I can keep the front end down long enough to steer when needed..lol.

Matt

Vealmonkey
12-05-2008, 03:05 PM
If you are going to fix it up, just fix what you have. It doesn't look impossible and mostly complete. You could get some new stickers made for it probably too. It would probably be fun the way it is if you got it running. No need to cobble it up and make it any worse than it is. Good luck with the project. Leave the snowmobile engines in snowmobiles.

Tri-Z 250
12-05-2008, 03:15 PM
What price range would this thing bring? Matt

ZERO IMO, but ebay sells alot of junk for good money. You might find some poor sole looking for parts

Twilight
12-05-2008, 03:43 PM
There was one here for 2 years on craigslist with a fat cat engine in it. Got to ride it once, was a fun dune machine but sucked on anything else.

Fix it up if you have sand!

MattR
12-05-2008, 03:55 PM
ZERO IMO, but ebay sells alot of junk for good money. You might find some poor sole looking for parts

Well Zero is what I aquired it for. The Tri-Rod was one of the numerous items on the land I have the job of cleaning up.

If you are going to fix it up, just fix what you have. It doesn't look impossible and mostly complete. You could get some new stickers made for it probably too. It would probably be fun the way it is if you got it running. No need to cobble it up and make it any worse than it is. Good luck with the project. Leave the snowmobile engines in snowmobiles.

If I decide to keep it, I will try to get the original engine running and run it that way. If it ends up being a lost cause and parts are close to impossible to find, then I may attempt powering it with the snowmobile engine. Depends on how ambitious I am at that time..lol.

Thanks everybody who replied so far.

Matt

fatcat
12-05-2008, 04:37 PM
from the looks you can just buy a cheap 5 horse briggs and stratton engine to fit it

AngusJustice
12-05-2008, 05:07 PM
maybe this will help

Good Luck!

AngusJustice
12-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Try This Site Also Maybe Some Help.

oldtrikes.com/

Good Luck!

factoryX
12-05-2008, 05:21 PM
dude, it looks clean.. other than some rust.. the seat is still there by the looks of it ....

MattR
12-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the link AngusJustice..

dude, it looks clean.. other than some rust.. the seat is still there by the looks of it ....

Original seat is intact and no rips on it that I can see so far. I still have a bunch of frozen pine tree needles on the seat that I did not want to remove yet to make sure I do not cause any seat damage. There is a crack on one part of the fender, and one of the footrests is missing/broken. Cables frozen tight but then again I would be too if left to sit outside for who knows how long..lol. For the most part it is still in nice shape for being stored outside.

Matt

Howdy
12-06-2008, 12:15 AM
Looks like a JC Penney ride
Simular but yet very different.

My left kiddney is going over this with the right one.....Yes this machine gonna make us BLEED! JC Penny confirmed.
Tri-Z 250 you are completely wrong. No way is that a Jc Penny Scat Tracker ( Only model 3 wheeler Penny's sold ). This machine is a Tri-Rod. Proof?? here look at this picture of a True Scat Tracker and compare it to the pics above. Simular basic design, how ever frame, body, seat, drivetrain, ect is different.

http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/Sads/sJCPennyScatTrackerA.jpg

maybe this will help

Good Luck!

Would be good info if he had a Scat Tracker.

Matt
Good deal on the Tri-Rod. I will see if I have any brochures / info on the machine. I am thinking I have one, but I'm not sure.

Howdy

MattR
12-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Matt
Good deal on the Tri-Rod. I will see if I have any brochures / info on the machine. I am thinking I have one, but I'm not sure.

Howdy

Thanks Howdy. I would appreciate any info on it that I can get. I tried using google to search, yet got tons of sites for the new trikes everybody seems to be making for on-road use.

Matt