PDA

View Full Version : Making some changes to my 86 R...Paul Turner topend

Billy Golightly
12-03-2008, 11:21 PM
Been wrenchin on my 86 R a little bit. I totally redid the suspension on it last year. Have a PEP revalved shock, and some special guts internals for the forks (That after extensive tuning make the front forks work :drool: :drool: ) But the motor was always a turd. I changed crank seals, leak down tested, played with carb, reeds, pipe, everything, it was always just a damn dog. so I took that topend off, and put this old last bore Paul Turner cylinder I had onto it. I haven't got to run it yet but it held 7psi over night so I know the crankseals and all the surfaces are good and sealed. I'll clean up most of the gasket making material before it goes back together. I've just found a lot of the times you can't get stuff to seal up good enough to pass the leak down test with just straight gaskets, you gotta get some goo on em to make it.

And yes, I know the front brake line is retarded :lol:

NewfieBish
12-04-2008, 12:33 AM
you got the same rear maxxis tires as me.. mine were on backwards when i got the bike though.. i dunno why they done it, but it almost looks like it cuts into the dirt better to look at the way the tread is.. think so?

Tri-Z Pilot
12-04-2008, 12:37 AM
what kind of front tire is that? dirt devil? size? whats the deal with pt cylinders? do they come pre-ported or something? you just building this r primarily as a beater since you have the c5 for trackin? havent seen any of your pics in a while, it's hard to keep track of whats in your stable.

of course you are also like a kid with legos. one trike becomes a completely different one in no time, lol

Billy Golightly
12-04-2008, 01:04 AM
That front tire is an oldschool Goodyear, made in the USA. It was NOS, I had laying around and put it on because for some reason this thing had a 25inch front tire on it and was just dumb, this is a 23.5. I'm gonna set this one up for all around riding, I have some beadlocks with fast trekkers that will be on the rear soon so I can ride on my track with it a bit.

The cylinder is, old, its on the last bore. I got it that way so I'm not sure when it was worked over but its just a standard Honda cylinder that someone probably mailed off to them and had worked over and then they sent it back. Actually the work to the inside of the cylinder isn't very extensive, at all. I'd classify it as light clean up work honestly, but it ran pretty well when I had it on another motor before, so I wont complain to much.