PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust question...

MonkOFox
12-03-2008, 02:43 PM
The copper collar/washer that goes between the exhaust pipe and the manifold, does that thing crush or not? because i can't get the part that goes in the muffler far back enough so it will clamp down.

Thanks,

Justin

Tri-Z 250
12-03-2008, 02:55 PM
this is for your 200s? is the inside clear of all obstructions(I'm sure it is). I always use some Hi Temp sealer...helps to act like lube, plus it seals.

MonkOFox
12-03-2008, 04:27 PM
yes it is for a 200s, and the shoulder right before the little part that goes into the muffler slides in there, but just enough for the shoulder to fit in, should I just move the clamp back to cover those slots so it doesn't sound like someone is ride on the back with a chainsaw by my head?

Thanks,

Justin

MonkOFox
12-03-2008, 04:28 PM
ill post some pics tonight or tommorow.

Justin

SYKO
12-03-2008, 04:32 PM
one time long ago I replaced that copper ring in my old 200e, I couldnt get the exhaust to fit back on, I found out that there was one of the copper rings allready still in the head, it had been smashed and wore down so much I didnt notice it. After a bunch of fiddling I got it out, and it was in there. Thing was if I can remember right someone had put another one on top of it, so when that one fell out I thought everything was good. Long shot but check it for sure.

MonkOFox
12-03-2008, 04:34 PM
will do.

Thanks man.

SWIGIN
12-03-2008, 04:42 PM
one time long ago I replaced that copper ring in my old 200e, I couldnt get the exhaust to fit back on, I found out that there was one of the copper rings allready still in the head, it had been smashed and wore down so much I didnt notice it. After a bunch of fiddling I got it out, and it was in there. Thing was if I can remember right someone had put another one on top of it, so when that one fell out I thought everything was good. Long shot but check it for sure.

not much of a long shot as you might think

i'v seen 3 and 4 on top of each other....lol

as far as MonkOFoxs problem im haveing a hard time understanding what the problem is.

sounds like the silencer dont fit?.......am i close....lol

SYKO
12-03-2008, 05:06 PM
OH FRAG! im way off base here arnt I? he means the silencer to headpipe right? I thought the headpipe to the head.

SWIGIN
12-03-2008, 05:17 PM
OH FRAG! im way off base here arnt I? he means the silencer to headpipe right? I thought the headpipe to the head.

well, who knows...lol

im just guessing

MonkOFox
12-03-2008, 08:43 PM
yea, the silencer I guess, all this fancy trike lingo...
I was just wondering if the collar between the manifold and the pipe would make
it stick out more so the other end of the pipe wouldn't fit in the silencer.

Ima take some pics real quick...

Justin

MonkOFox
12-03-2008, 09:03 PM
the green arrow is where i have the leak, i tried to take the shield off, but the screw were being gay.

the blue is where the copper washer goes right? anyways when it is running i can feel it blowing exhaust out.

here is the pic:

http://www.newfazeindustries.com/DSCF1298-25pct.jpg

MonkOFox
12-03-2008, 09:05 PM
BTW i know its ugly, but i got a sandblaster for christmas > : ).
so it'll all be cleaned up the day after lol. can i sand blast the engine whole or do i
need to take it apart so i dont mess up the gaskets...

Thanks,

Justin

oscarmayer
12-04-2008, 09:55 AM
don't sandblast the motor itself unlesss your rebuilding it. jsut take it to the car wash (get 2 cans of degreaser from auto store and a scrub brush) and use the high pressure sprayer to clean it up.

SWIGIN
12-04-2008, 12:35 PM
on bare motors i use wheel etcher...it like a mild acid and eats (foams) at the aluminim and it looks new when done.

heres a pic of some old 1970s wheels i etched for my bronco....they looked way worse then your motor before i etched them.
i spray on the etcher and use a small wire brush and srub away.

you can doit with the motor together since the etcher dont seem to hurt gaskets to much but it will hurt/stain paint. it might be a good idea to pull it out to do it.

as far as the pipe, yes, the blue arrow is where the copper/brass ring goes and that pipe is called a header or head pipe.

as far as the head pipe to silencer seal i have no idea since i cant see anything.

cybrman
12-04-2008, 03:29 PM
I just bought some muffler gaskets from hyperparts.com.
I just went and looked and they don't have em listed anymore...weird.

Anyway here is another place you can get them...
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/Alba/Honda_OEM/HondaATV.asp

MonkOFox
12-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Can i sand blast it if i plan on powder coating the parts? I'm definately going to sand blast the exhaust pipe,frame,wheels, muffler and tank, but I plan on powder coating those quickly.

Is the reason i shouldn't sand blast the motor because of rusting?

I just want to know if it is a definate 'no no' or just a personal preference...

Thanks for the advice,

Justin

Dirtcrasher
12-04-2008, 04:10 PM
No, the reason is sand entering teenie tiny places and making there way into the oil lubrication system....

Just a few grits of sand will eat away at all the bearings and journals.

MonkOFox
12-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Sweet, just wanted to know for sure, i'm rebuilding my '85 200s pretty soon, so ill just sand blast it while its apart. Do i have to remove the valve springs and such if i want to powder coat the cylinder head?

Thanks,

Justin