PDA

View Full Version : 250R Hydroplaning through puddles?

NewfieBish
12-03-2008, 11:10 AM
hey all, i had my R out on sunday for a half decent run, the first time i had it out since i had the shock rebuilt and the forks redone, so i was goin pretty fast on the trail to test out how the overhauled suspension worked, and there was a nice few puddles/pools of standing water in the middle of the trails because we had alot of rain, say.. puddles like 5 feet by 5 feet in surface area, and about 5-6 inches deep like that. and when i struck them goin fast, the R hit them so hard and stopped so fast i almost flew over the handlebars!! is it where the bike is so light? any advice?:wondering

chris200x
12-03-2008, 11:17 AM
lean back when you hit those puddles.... if you have enough speed you should buzz right over them (and most likely end up in the bushes on the other side!) :crazy: :D

McDerry
12-03-2008, 11:24 AM
That would be where you didn't hydroplane. Either faster to plane over them, or slower so when you sink you dont kill yourself.

88 Turbo Coupe
12-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Wheelie through them. You will find that it hardly slows you dowm.

SWIGIN
12-03-2008, 12:06 PM
its like skipping a stone on water, you need to be at as little angle to the water surface as you can be. in other words if there is a bump or your going down a hill there is no way your going to skim.

i have done this on larger (10-15 feet) pudles that were feet deep but you need to be flat out and dont let up at all, kind of an all or nothing kind of thing.

lean back and just hang on.

toocheaptosmoke
12-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Hammerdown. :w00t:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDgkbYQcnV0

KASEY
12-03-2008, 10:04 PM
with paddle tires it works pretty good,,, you can hear in the vid the motor start revving up when he gets in the water thats also where he starts loosing control.. ,,, with paddle tires you maintain coltrol better,,, i have gone over 100' before without any problems...

NewfieBish
12-04-2008, 12:20 AM
wicked! yeah im not really used to riding the R yet, which is pretty funny since ive owned it since the end of july, but most of the time its been apart doing work on it, i mightve had it for 3 good afternoon runs like. i love it though, its an eye opener around newfoundland, alot of people look at it wonderin what it is lol. kasey that atc70 you got is nuts! id love to have one like it haha next time im out ill have to try leanin back i guess, thanks for the replies

The Goat
12-04-2008, 08:04 AM
.... This makes me think of the YouTube. I'd where that 350x goes a few hundred feet and then tumbles like a toy, driver included.

philmoore
12-04-2008, 01:29 PM
A friend of mine showed me a VHS tape he borrowed from one of his friends, who's buddy was skipping his ATC250R across an open water hole in the middle of a frozen lake. (kind of a friend of a friend type deal!) The open water was probably about 50 yards across and he made it several times. Of course, he didn't make it once and had to swim.

I sure wish I would have borrowed that tape and digitized it because it was amazing.

deathman53
12-04-2008, 09:46 PM
its all or nothing. Same thing as riding a dirtbike skimming water puddles. Before you do flying over them, make sure you know that there isn't down trees and such in the water. When I skim puddles, hold the throttle open and lean back, you don't want the front end to dive. Also the flatter the tires you have, they will skim across puddles better, the roundish tires tend to reflect more and it won't skim over as well.

NewfieBish
12-05-2008, 10:07 AM
thanks man, will try that out next time im ridin! i got a new digital camera so maybe i can get some pics and video, i havent posted hardly anything.