PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to strip the paint off the engine and frame etc?

Hoosier_Daddy
12-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Just looking for ideas on stripping off the old paint in order to get the frame prepped for new paint. I want to strip the paint off my engine and I think I'm going to leave it aluminum. Maybe I'll try to polish it up a bit but I don't know where to get started on stripping.

fabiodriven
12-02-2008, 09:26 PM
I remember years ago I used to have paint stripper in a can. You'd spray it on and the paint would just melt off. I'm not sure if they still make it or not, or if would be bad to use on aluminum though. Once I accidentally sprayed it in my eyes. That was awesome.

Hoosier_Daddy
12-02-2008, 09:28 PM
I remeber years ago I used to have paint stripper in a can. You'd spray it on and the paint would just melt off. I'm not sure if they still make it or not, or if would be bad to use on aluminum though. I have some stripper that has to be brushed on but I didn't know if it would work or not.

Once I accidentally sprayed it in my eyes. That was awesome.:lol:

200x newby
12-02-2008, 09:49 PM
i used brush on stripper let it sit for a few minutes then used my garden hose with a spray nozzle to blast it off! worked hella great!

The Goat
12-02-2008, 09:50 PM
there is an orange citrus paint stripper...it work well. leave it on for 30 minutes, pressure wash, repeat...done.

oOGoFastOo
12-02-2008, 09:50 PM
I bead blasted both of mine. it works good.

Hoosier_Daddy
12-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Ok, thanks for all the advise. I have a starting point now.

chris200x
12-02-2008, 09:58 PM
your nuts if you use paint stripper... MAKES A MESS!!!

sand or bead blasting is the quick and easy way.....

prohemi500
12-02-2008, 10:14 PM
I agree with Chris, I have tried the brush and spray on methods and have found that it always leaves some paint behind. If you stuff your cylinder ports with rags/paper towels, and tape them up as well, the blaster is the only way
to go. It also leaves the metal in a state where the new paint adheres nicely and is not easily scratched.

n10sivern
12-02-2008, 11:28 PM
umm, i just got through using the brush on stripper on some atc90 forks last week and never again. bead/sand blasting is definitely the way to go. way easier. i spent another hour getting the paint that 3 coatings of the stripper left behind.

Brad200X
12-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Yeah, paint stripper isn't nearly as good as it used to be. I've used the same brand of stripper, and now it doesn't work as well. I think it was called Aircraft.

Hoosier_Daddy
12-03-2008, 12:02 AM
Well, I guess I can try to find a local shop that does some blasting then.

chris200x
12-03-2008, 12:54 AM
It isn't really necessary to strip all the paint from the frame. sand it down a bit, get all the dirt and oil off,, then primer it... sand a bit more then apply thin even coats of fresh paint.

I never polished a whole motor before.. that involves countless hours of sanding (going from coarse to fine grade sandpaper) then alot of polishing...

good luck...

That aircraft stripper works about the best on smaller parts (available at walmart) but anywhere you have tight spots you'll have trouble..