PDA

View Full Version : Tecate cylinder question?? update pics

oOGoFastOo
12-01-2008, 09:44 PM
The Tecate cylinders are a nikasil cylinder right?? I was wondering if you can hone them with out problems i know if their bored out you need to get them re nikasiled. I remember honing the one on my 97 cr250 that was a nikasil motor also but i dont know if i did that one right, it ran good after i did it but im just not sure?:wondering

DeePa
12-01-2008, 09:53 PM
once they are out of spec they need to be replated or have a sleeve installed

hondawasaki
12-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Nikasil can be honed, but most machine shops don't reccomend it. It is a thin layer of silicon crystals that get impregnated in the aluminum. So if you do decide to hone it, don't hone too much, you will change the piston clearance.

oOGoFastOo
12-01-2008, 09:58 PM
how could you tell if someone had a new sleeve already put into this jug? The only reason i ask is because i think it has been bored out before because the piston has a 20 on top that i rember seeing when i had it apart the first time. I havent measured the bore yet but i was just wondering because i have herd of that being done to Tecates before.

hondawasaki
12-01-2008, 10:01 PM
The sleeve will be distinctive, and a magnet will stick to it.

oOGoFastOo
12-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Thanks I will be able to tear it apart on friday and see what actually happened to it, and have some pictures up of the engine i only have one of it now taken out of the bike.

hondawasaki
12-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Looks nice all silver! good luck.

oOGoFastOo
12-01-2008, 10:31 PM
yeah i stripped all the paint off of it when i had it apart rebuilding the bottom end and kinda halfassed polished it.

tecat-z
12-02-2008, 01:24 AM
All Tecate cylinders were originally equipped with nacasil plating. Honing is generally not recommended. However, cylinders with a worn nicasil liner can be cut up to 2mm and be replated, since the aluminum core is still being used. My tecate is 1mm over and re-nicked. Kawasaki never offered anything but standard pistons, since they were never designed to be bored. Wiseco offere standard thru 2mm. U.S. chrome does all my plating and supplies pistons sized accordingly. If your cylinder already has a sleeve installed, a bore will probably be necessary. Years ago replating of cylinders was pretty uncommon, and if a cylinder was damaged from mechanical failure, or simply worn out, a thick heavy sleeve was the logical fix due to the cost of a new cylinder. And they always sold the sleeves on the idea "they can always be bored" Now........nearly all cylinders, weather bike, atv, snowmobile, are coated with some sort of composite for many reasons, and replating is commonplace. It can be tough to actually find a Tecate cylinder that has not been sleeved at some point. If you can find a one that hasn't, buy it and "git" it replated. They're faster:naughty:

Tecate 50
12-02-2008, 02:18 AM
Buy a kx250 cylinder and go even faster!!

cr480r
12-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Buy a kx250 cylinder and go even faster!!

they are the same cylinder as the Tecate in '86

Tecate 50
12-02-2008, 01:34 PM
My fault....didn't pay attention to the year on that one!

oOGoFastOo
12-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Got it tore apart it has been sleeved and is bored 20 over to 70.5mm so i can just get a new piston and hone it. also i found that it has a name engraved into the side of the jug by the KIPS badge it looks like it says Eastsim or Eastern on it underlined with a squiggly line? It doesnt look ported though. the piston was melted towards the exhaust port so i think i must have overheated it but i dont know how i was hauling and it was cold outside when it went, maby the water pump went bad I'll have to check.

200x newby
12-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Got it tore apart it has been sleeved and is bored 20 over to 70.5mm so i can just get a new piston and hone it. also i found that it has a name engraved into the side of the jug by the KIPS badge it looks like it says Eastsim or Eastern on it underlined with a squiggly line? It doesnt look ported though. the piston was melted towards the exhaust port so i think i must have overheated it but i dont know how i was hauling and it was cold outside when it went, maby the water pump went bad I'll have to check.

sounds like you ran it lean.

oOGoFastOo
12-06-2008, 10:16 PM
I dont think so because the plug was a good dark brown color and when they run lean the piston usually has a hole in the center of itnot the front melted off. my brothers banshee's pistons looked the same as mine does when he overheated it cause the water pump went out. i'll take a pic and post it.

oOGoFastOo
12-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Here are some pics of it does anyone know what company would this engraving would be its hard to read so i colored the letters in.

tecat-z
12-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Lean jetting, mentioned cold air, coupled with high exhaust temps, and a piston that wasn't drilled on exhaust side spells doom. This was a very common condition with older sleds, and looks like sooo many iv'e seen. Thats why in the later years, many 2 stroke sleds had exhaust temp sensors stock. And a very popular add on for many others. Tecate water pumps are a very durable design. The only real way they "cannot" pump water is if the nut backs off which holds impeller to shaft. Everything is metal, and made to last.

3Razors
12-06-2008, 11:59 PM
Usually any company that does motor work on a cylinder engraves their name on the side. I've never heard of Eastman, probably a local shop.

And yes that motor was run very lean as the exhaust side is melted. Herein is another case where "the plug looked good so its jetted right." Plug colors can look very misleading depending on what type of fuel/oil is used or if the bike is at idle loading up before being run wide open, even then it is not easy for an average rider or mechanic to look at the right portion of the plug to get accurate results. The most sure fire way is to jet it very fat to begin with and make it run horribly rich, then lean it out size by size until it revs out clean and crisp. After that if you want to run on the edge for the most hp do plug chops or get an egt gauge.

Here is a link for helping with plugs. http://www.dfn.com/benkaren/plugchop.html

oOGoFastOo
12-09-2008, 01:13 AM
I can get a wiseco piston, rings, wristpin and clips for $120.00, from the local bike shop does that sound about right? I dont think that included the bearing.

cr480r
12-09-2008, 01:22 AM
That is the going rate these days.. but a much better deal can be found on ebay if you arent in a hurry

oOGoFastOo
12-09-2008, 01:24 AM
the two i found on ebay where around the same price shipped.

cr480r
12-09-2008, 01:29 AM
the two i found on ebay where around the same price shipped.

yeah they usually are, but I have bought several new wisecos in the $40-$50 range.. There was two KXT pistons on there last week that sold for under $50..