PDA

View Full Version : should i trade???

ghost civic
11-28-2008, 06:24 PM
so, iv had no luck getting my yamaha 225dx running. i put it online ad, and had someone offer me his 84 honda big red. he has 3 motors, 2 of them 250's he rebuilt. guy says he never had time to re-install a motor after he tried one he thought would have more power. he says it just needs to be bolted in and wired up. has new starter and new tires. he said he had a yamaha 225 and would like to have one again.

heres a pic.

if he's telling the truth, then maybe i could have a running ATC and 2 motors to sell?

what do you guys think?

thefox
11-28-2008, 06:29 PM
I don't trust ads like that. Your will either have 2 - 250cc motors that won't fit your machine (the 250 does not interchange with the 200) or they guy doesn't know what he is talking about but yet he "rebuilt" them. If he doesn't have the knowledge to know what size the motor is then how good of a mechanic do you think he is?

ghost civic
11-28-2008, 06:32 PM
good point. i wouldnt know if the motors are right for the ride or not by looking at them.

assuming they both ran, which would you guys rather have, the honda or the yamaha?

3 wheeler boy
11-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Yamaha. Have had both and I like the yamaha better but big red for utility.

thefox
11-28-2008, 06:54 PM
I like my 200 Big Red but if I only had 1 trike I would pick the 225dx over the 200 Big Red. Rear suspension makes all the difference.

If all your doing is hauling stuff then get the Honda but otherwise keep working on the Yamaha.

ghost civic
11-28-2008, 06:58 PM
i knew the big red was more of a work horse. i didnt know it doesnt have a rear suspension.
im think im gonna tell the guy ill trade if he gets the motor hooked up and running.
seems like he really wanted the yamaha, and i really want something that runs.
iv never had a ATC before, and will only ride around the yard and some short trails near-by.

250RNUT
11-28-2008, 07:05 PM
I would not trade

oldtime3wheeler
11-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Kee3p the dx and get it running. Rear suspension is great. The dx isnt bad for work either. Sounds like the guy is trying to give you his problems.

ghost civic
11-28-2008, 09:21 PM
yeh, i emailed him and said if he gets it to run id trade. if it really doesnt take much to get the big red running then he should be willing to fix it if he wants the yamaha.

i want to fix the yamaha, i just dont know what it needs.
iv cleaned the carbs(i have one that came on it and one i bought ebay)
yet it doesnt seem to get fuel to the motor.
when i spray starting fluid into the carb, it will fire, and often shoot flames out the carb. if the problem is in the carb, i dont see why. if the problem is in the motor, like valve/ignition timing...i dont have a clue how to adjust those. i took the cam chain cover off, and the chain looks good(not alot of slack)

Tri-Z Pilot
11-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Is your vent line on the gas cap clogged? Try starting with the cap off. Have you cleaned the carb and blown out the jets with compressed air? As for the backfire through the carb, your timing could be off, but you should focus on why it wont run first, it should still run with the timing off a little.

Georgia Boy 666
12-22-2008, 11:26 PM
yamaha all the way :)

WIkid500
12-22-2008, 11:41 PM
Fix the DX you will have a much nicer trike with the DX running.