PDA

View Full Version : Tri-z Fuel Pump Trouble.

z400_ek
11-27-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm new here and so far i have to say i've found alot of useful information. But i was working on my 86 Tri-z this evening, i've been trying to get it back in good running shape for several months, and i'm finnally going to have to get advice from someone who knows their trikes. I first noticed after i rebuilt and started putting it back together that the fuel pump wasn't drawing gas far enough up the line, i never really messed with the fuel pump on it before now, but i could not get gas to come up more than half way up the line past the pump. To be completly honest, i'm not even fully sure how exactly the pump works on this machine. I know it's a vacuum driven system, but there is only 4 lines goin in or out of it. 2 goin in from the tank, one goes up to the other petcock, and i suppose that the other is just an overflow since it's up top. When i first looked at it i figured automatically that it was a vacuum line, but there's no where to plug it in, though i am running an aftermarket flat slide carb. But if anyone could please either explain how exactly that the pump works, or what my problem might be it would be very helpful. I have gas going into the pump, bacause when i pull a fuel line off that runs from the tank (either one) gas pours from both the lines and out of the pump. I just cant get it to go past the pump. I've took it apart, cleaned everthing from the lines out of the tank to the carb, with no results. Any advice would help, i love this trike and i'm ready to get it screaming down the road again.

ATC-Eric
11-27-2008, 11:45 PM
The line on the back of the pump (pretty sure thats where it is) goes to the base of the cylinder on a niple on the clutch side.

2 lines go into the pump towards the rear of the pump, one out towards the front, and the other is a vacum line. Give it a try and report back!

Oh and welcome to the boards! :welcome:

And post pics! :w00t:

z400_ek
11-28-2008, 12:13 AM
Ok i'll have to do that for sure, i'll check it tommorow and see what it does. Thanks alot i really needed help.:w00t:

honda250sx
11-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Posted some pics. Hope these help you out. Welcome to 3ww!

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i151/brauerpower/DSCN3198.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i151/brauerpower/DSCN3196.jpg