PDA

View Full Version : A Tiger 500 Comes To My House!

Vealmonkey
11-27-2008, 01:45 PM
For those that hadn't seen the latest announcement in my Tiger build thread. Here it is, Erectordales' Tiger 500, which is my newest addition. Thanks to Dale, the Tigers are united again. I can't thank Dale and his wife enough for giving me another chance to own a truly rare machine. The only true production 500 ever made and said to be 1 of only 10 or so machines ever built. I've been stoked ever since given the oppurtunity to add this to my collection. This trike has had a reputation before I ever purchased it. It's been posted in pictures and I'm pretty sure even the subject of a short movie or 2. Dale definitely rode this trike. He flipped it and busted the fenders doing it, that's how hard he rode it. And I still want to ride it too. I hope to be fixing it up some and giving it a set of new fiberglass replacement fenders and powdercoating the frame and parts and returning it closer to its' former glory. Once again, it will never be OC material, but it should be a really nice rider. With the trike came the ever important parts to help keep it going. This trike arrived at 11pm at night and I had to pick it up on the way to work. It also arrived in a beautiful new enclosed trailer which was a pleasant added bonus, the 500 stayed and the trailer continued on its' way though. Since I've had Thanksgiving Day off and it warmed up some, I got a chance to take a few pics to post here. Slightly bigger than the 250 Tigers, it has some differences and some things common to the 250 Tigers. Thankfully the brake parts are all the same as well as the fenders. The tank appears slightly different though. This 500 has a custom thumbthrottle and a custom rear axle, thank goodness, that has adjustable widths. Without that little feature it would have never fit into my trailer. Looks like I might be shopping for a larger trailer now too. I might have this up in PA Saturday when I go up to work on the Tiger 250. I need to get a digital video camera too or get a bigger memory card for the old trusty kodak, but I won't have sound. Well, let me post up some pics. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Vealmonkey
11-27-2008, 01:48 PM
A couple more pics to scope out. These Tigers are really fricking cool. Of course these have air cooled engines, so no radiator or scoops. Also they have a different ignition system than the bosch or motoplat, I believe it is called a kokosan, maybe not the right spelling. And the frame is gusseted up from the factory unlike the other Tigers.

Twilight
11-27-2008, 01:52 PM
I was wondering if you knew of the diameter between the head bolts? And how many head bolts there are...

Theres a member on the Pilot-Odyssey site that makes watercooled heads and only for like 300 or so... I was thinking if you wanted one I could put in a good word.

Orangecnty250r
11-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Looks great, An arrival like that can pump anybody up:Bounce , Your doing the deal with your projects so dont knock yourself. When I did the 500 I was a psycho about having everything exact as the dirt wheels article, 10" rear trail pros, different carlisle front tire, blue shock resi. so It could have the dirt wheels article hanging behind it and look identical....Its that kind of thing I to try to pull off and like but is not neccesaary for a great build..its in pieces again :crazy: :crazy: having more parts refinished and zinc plated..... .but they did come with red resi, flat track tires and the other common carlise front tires ...every machine had there little differences.

fabiodriven
11-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Wow, man. That is sweet for sure. Wish my R had an adjustable axle. I have to take a wheel off and put it on backwards to get the trike on my trailer.

Vealmonkey
11-27-2008, 02:49 PM
The big piece the 500 is missing is the proper rear grab bar with the section that holds up the rear fenders. It has several incorrect parts that I think really give it character and most racing machines were modified from when they were built, so that doesn't bother me. I wouldn't mind over time maybe finding the right bits if you ever let any get by you OC. LOL I really don't want the Tigers to be so nice and perfect that they can't be enjoyed though. The other big piece I'd like to have is a correct front number plate. Heck, even a busted up one just to put back together and copy so myself and other can have a chance to have a more complete and correct Tiger. If anyone knows of or has a busted up Tiger front number plate and would like to sell it or loan it out so it can be repaired and have a mold made of it to be copied, please let me know. I'd also like to see a Tiger reunion somewhere that owners and trikes could gather and compare notes and ride. A nice little close by dirt track would be an extra added bonus too if possible. Imagine a photo of 15 or more Tigers reunited! That would be some cool stuff right there. Oh well, I can dream can't I? LOL It would be even cooler if we could get a couple of the Tiger riders or the owner himself come down and see that people still have a soft spot for the machines. Maybe even a factory worker or 2. It would be pretty cool... to me at least.

tecat-z
11-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Nice to see Tiger owners have the "passion" for their machines. I think a reunion of sorts would be a great! Me, no Tigers, but i can surely respect their character and rarity.

atctim
11-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Very nice Veal. Sweet for sure. I am sure you'll treat it like the machine it is. Keep us all posted on your project (s). Very very nice addition.

BigGreenMachine
11-27-2008, 04:01 PM
It would make a great duner. :)

blue27
11-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Well I can't wait to see it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yamada
11-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Is it your early christmas gift for yourself???:w00t:
:TrikesOwn

oldtime3wheeler
11-27-2008, 09:55 PM
Thats a sweet trike. I have always liked the Tigers since they came out in the 80's. Enjoy!

phreakboy
11-28-2008, 09:49 PM
That is a awesome site and if it were me I probably wouldnt sleep for a couple days. I will say that with you being close and blue27 being even closer at some point I will have to see one of the tigers in person, I have always loved them since I was young but never got to see one in person.

Vealmonkey
11-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Well, there will be a whole grouip of us at blue27s' house tomorrow. There will be 5 tigers there, together and in parts and the 500 will be running and blues' 250 should be running and we will Tiger assembling.

03 ORANGE SHEE
11-28-2008, 11:51 PM
i took the video and saw it live when it flipped over at the drags a few years back, very sad to see it break

Autophysn
11-28-2008, 11:56 PM
Great trike VM! I have never seen one of those up close, you are a lucky man :)

Vealmonkey
11-29-2008, 12:15 AM
Come and visit and take a ride! I hope to have the 250 together soon and you can ride both if you want. That is what they are for. Now I just hope I don't have to buy a piece of property to build a small flat track to run them! That 500 would be interesting in the dunes, but no radiator so the heat might be a little harsh on it though.

Autophysn
11-29-2008, 12:48 AM
Dude, I would love to visit the East side of this beautiful country!
One day, one day ;)

Vealmonkey
11-29-2008, 12:57 AM
I knew someone had that video. I don't know if Dale was hurt, I hope he wasn't. I know that is when the fenders got busted up. I'll have replacement fenders, but they won't be PVC, they'll be fiberglass from the mold blue27 had made. I don't know if I'll ride the trike as hard as Dale ever did, but I really would like to get it on a flat track and see what it'll do. If you still have that video, maybe you can send it to me.

Bigbore
11-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Nice score. :beer

I would have loved to pick it up. A month later and you wouldn't have gotten it:naughty:

I've got a question? What the deal with the rear axle? It's not the stock axle, it looks like a go kart axle with clamp on hubs :wondering

dizasterzrfun69
11-29-2008, 05:01 PM
I knew someone had that video. I don't know if Dale was hurt, I hope he wasn't.

I know his tailbone was killing him for a good week afterwards. :D I told him before he even raced it that he should take the fenders off. know what he said?? " Nah, i want some good pictures of it" :rolleyes: i've drag raced in front of, next too, and behind that thing and it will sure be missed. in all the years my old man owned it i never once rode it. I'm just glad he let it go to a good home and im also glad your happy with it. :beer

SWIGIN
11-29-2008, 11:18 PM
i just got back from blue27s house and i got to say i had a blast!

that 500 seems like it will FLY....it was getting dark and i didnt want to hit a tree or tear up blues yard but i hope veal will bring it to my track some time...hehehe

i wont post any pics i took...i'll let that up to veal and blue but great bikes guys!

i had fun shooting the bull and telling storys from the 80s and 90s. let me know guys when it works for you to come to my track and we will rip it up.

thanks again

Vealmonkey
11-30-2008, 01:29 AM
Well, today was a great day for many reasons. I got to visit blue27 and his wife in Pa. I got to work on the Tiger 250 today. I got to meet trizilla and his wife she devil, they came down and picked up several parts from me. Also I got to meet SWIGIN and his brother Jason. And Bruces' buddy Timmy with the 90 stopped by. We also got to fire up the 500 Tiger and do some riding! Let me start by saying that we were kind of thankful that the 500 wasn't hooking up real well in the yard Let me also say thankfully the carb was a little out of tune. Let me also say, Holy Crap! I never got the 500 out of third gear and that was short shifting it a little and she wanted to come up in the air without a thought, and this was while having poor traction. Man, this trike wants to rock and roll. If the carb would have been dialed right on, it would have been scary. And needless to say I was a little apprehensive on the first ride. Several people rode the 500 and they all came back smiling. It was a little cold natured starting, but not bad once it warmed up. Seemed like the plug was trying to load up, but not bad at all. Lots of power on tap though.
Man, this 500 is going to be fun. Clutch was a little stiff, but not the worst I've pulled by far. The power of the 500 just pulls, not like a crazy explosion, but it just steady gets it. If you ever get the chance to ride one, by all means ride one.

Tri-Z Pilot
11-30-2008, 01:52 AM
Wow man, those things look simple as hell. There is almost no clutter in the frame. How does that adjustable axle work? Are those like pinchbolts on the hubs? Anyways great find, at least you tiger guys know your stuff finds a good home.

blue27
11-30-2008, 02:13 AM
What a day,like a small 3WW gathering. That 500 will be a blast when we get a large enough area the run it!!! The Tiger 250 is coming along nice, I will let Veal post the pics. Nice meeting everyone and hope to get some time to ride with you all. I enjoy shooting the crap but would like to hit the trail also.