PDA

View Full Version : 110 HELP--Please for my nephew

diesel
11-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Here is the story: The machine was an 1982 ATC 110, got new plastics, etc... They guy said it ran, but come to find out the head was trashed. Bought a 1979 Motor and used the head off it. Assembled machine, carb slide was bad, unable to adjust idle. Bought new carb. Machine ran. High low didn't work, didn't shift properly, started to gush oil from clutch adjustment screw. Clutch was not put together properly. Shifted worked fine in low, no high gear. Engine became hard to start. Bought 1984 machine for parts. Motor was complete and unmolested.

1. compression is good.
2. transplanted intake, carb, electronics from running 1982 machine to 1984 machine
3. Engine sucks on the carb side, blows on the exhaust side
4. Spark plug sparks
5. Carb is brand new.
6. valves were adjusted to spec.

HEre is the problem: If you pull on the machine, it will not run. Shoot either in the carb, nothing,

Any thoughts? now this POS 110 has cost me over 700-900 bucks after buying a new tank, plastics, etc... two parts motors, various other crap.

I need this to run. It is not for me, but for my nephew, he just went through a divorce and he loves the thing. Doesn't want a motorcycle or quad, just this 110.

I am willing to try anything. I am mechanically inclined, build harley's and other bikes to sell, this has just been a nightmare project from hell.

HELP ME PLEASE!

rdlsz24
11-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Dang you are more patient than me. I would have parted it long ago lol. Anyway, that engine has points correct? Are they adjusted properly?

Rob

diesel
11-26-2008, 02:26 PM
The 1979 was a points model. The other two are CDI. The CDI in the 1984 machine had a broken spring, so I put the CDI from the 1982 model in.

Autophysn
11-26-2008, 09:29 PM
have you checked for spark? maybe the kill switch is bad.

anyway, do you have the book? There is alot of great info in there to backtrack you work and be sure all is good. I understand your frustration, but hard to understand any problems with a 110. Mine has been so good to me;) anyway, need more info, what does it do when you try to start it, does it cough, try to start, anything/ If you are getting fuel and spark, you may want to verify timing. Being that you say the valves are adjusted correctly, I am assuming it is on time, but it may be 180 off.

Just my 2 cents

Vealmonkey
11-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Try unhooking the headlight and taillight from the electrical system. A dead short can cause the trike not to run. Make sure all your grounds are clean. Double check to see if you have the triked time properly, it may be out 180 degrees in the timing. I know you said you have spark, but it doesn't make sense. Is the carb slide opening up? Look into the carb to make sure when you move the thumb throttle that the slide opens up. It's got to be something silly. When you shoot in ether, are you holding the throttle open all the way? When you spray ether, is the choke on, cause that would block the ether from entering through the carb. Try removing the carb and spraying ether down the intake and just pull the recoil without the carb and see if it fires. If it does, carb problem. Is the carb installed the right way? I'm not trying to mess with you, just trying to help you find out what is going on.