PDA

View Full Version : 86 Tecate shock questions

fabiodriven
11-24-2008, 06:52 PM
OK guys, I tried searching this but couldn't come up with any answers.

I put a 300EX shock on my 86, but I had to put it in upside-down. I have never ridden this trike and it felt fine while the trike was sitting. The other day I noticed the shock oil leaking out of the seal. It was coming out at a pretty good rate. Is this because the shock is upside-down? Is the shock just junk?

Does the Raptor shock have to go in upside-down too? If so, has anybody run one for a while without leaks?

I have an opportunity to get a stock 86 Tecate shock. Is it worth getting and rebuilding? Can it even be rebuilt?

Thanks in advance guys-:)

brrcuda
11-24-2008, 07:02 PM
what do you mean by upside down. The stock shock mounts with bumpstop on top - which is upside down to me.

I would pick up the tecate shock if its cheap and chrome shaft is nice. SBLT500 has the best deal going for rebuilds and knows that kyb very well. So yes its rebuildable but they werent noted as being long lived.

post a pic of your shock orientation.

DeePa
11-24-2008, 07:03 PM
they can be rebuilt as long as the shaft is good and now pitted. shawn can do it...

i think they should be fine upside down...shock is prob just junk

fabiodriven
11-24-2008, 07:08 PM
What I mean by upside-down is it's opposite of how it mounted in the 300EX. In the EX the "big end" of the shock would be on top with the seal facing down. The only way it fits in a Tecate is the opposite.
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/Tecate%20500/P6250191.jpg

brrcuda
11-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Thats how the tecate oem shocks mount too. Your seal head is spent.

Something i have noticed is the extreme change in temperature brings this out. Seems like shocks blow more often at cold temps - first ride out in winter and such.

fabiodriven
11-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Thats how the tecate oem shocks mount too. Your seal head is spent.

Something i have noticed is the extreme change in temperature brings this out. Seems like shocks blow more often at cold temps - first ride out in winter and such.

10-4 on the temp change-

It happened as soon as it got cold.

I realize the Tecate shock was like that, but the Honda one didn't come that way.

sblt500r
11-24-2008, 10:31 PM
it doesn't matter how a shock is mounted. upside down or right side up. there a sealed unit, when there all assembled. they will not leak if the seals are good.

the 300ex/250x shocks are non rebuildable. there throw aways. i don't understand why people think the 300ex shock is better then a rebuildable tecate. tecate has reb. and com. adjustment, remote rezzie, holds more oil to stay cooler longer, and should last longer. 300ex has none of the above, if it blows there trash.

i'm pretty sure you can mount a lt250r shock in a tecate. i have to compare them. there all over so there easy to find. just the rezzie hose is kinda short, need to get creative

fabiodriven
11-25-2008, 09:16 AM
it doesn't matter how a shock is mounted. upside down or right side up. there a sealed unit, when there all assembled. they will not leak if the seals are good.

the 300ex/250x shocks are non rebuildable. there throw aways. i don't understand why people think the 300ex shock is better then a rebuildable tecate. tecate has reb. and com. adjustment, remote rezzie, holds more oil to stay cooler longer, and should last longer. 300ex has none of the above, if it blows there trash.

i'm pretty sure you can mount a lt250r shock in a tecate. i have to compare them. there all over so there easy to find. just the rezzie hose is kinda short, need to get creative

10-4, thanks shawn.

nd4speed
11-25-2008, 11:19 AM
I compared the LT250R shock and it is about an 1" longer but the mount widths were the same you would just have to adjust for the size bolt you were going to use. I believe you could use a bearing kit for an LT since the ends look the same. You would have to drill out the little sleeves for the right size bolt. See pics.

The only problem someone pointed out would be the travel would allow the rocker arm to hit the crossmember on the frame under the seat.

I never liked the idea of the 300ex shock.

I hope Shawn looks into the LT250R shock like I did. I think someone should get creative and try the whole LT250R swingarm. If I didn't need the money I wouldn't have sold mine.

fabiodriven
11-25-2008, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the input, boys. I think the first thing I'll do is try to track down the stock Kayaba then go from there.

alexandros
11-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Anyone has tryed the 2001 rear raptor shock?