PDA

View Full Version : Cold Blooded S..

drkilldrmz
11-24-2008, 11:38 AM
1984 200s is frustrating the life out of me..First 2 months, started in about 2 pulls and ran great. Took it out friday night, started fine at first, the after getting cold, i nearly pulled my arm out trying to start it..And the recoil needs to be "jiggled" to get it to suck back in. So.. Couple questions.. Do you think rebuilding the recoil would allow for a better spark?.. Being that it would be easier to pull and not only catch like a half revolution? The compression release cable is attached, but not attached to the recoil. I can manually flip it before each pull..It's a real bear to pull over. I will not be able to deal with it if it's going to be this fussy. What's the best place to buy a recoil repair kit, and how hard are they to install?

ATC-Eric
11-24-2008, 11:52 AM
You can buy a repair kit on ebay, well thats where I got mine 4 years ago..... The recoils are easy, you just need to mess with them a bit to understand them.

And under no circustances do you want to remove the spring if your not replacing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And if you get a new spring dont cut the band on it until its in place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Biggest painintheass to get a spring back in place.

As far as hard starts, do you choke it? If it runs steller in the summer, then it should start and run good in the winter (after you get it started anyways)

drkilldrmz
11-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the reply..I have never had to choke it, but when i did for the first time friday, it did not start right up. Sputtered, but pulling the rope was a beast..Not to sound too stupid, but wouldnt i need to replace the spring if it isn't recoiling on it's own?

ATC-Eric
11-24-2008, 12:22 PM
well, not necessarily, but it will help. You could just have a bunch of gunk in there.

Maybe try choking it, and while your pulling it, feather the throttle ever so slightly.

drkilldrmz
11-24-2008, 12:33 PM
That's the stuuupid thing here..It's a beast to pull, so it's a 2 handed job on the pull start. No way could i pull it left handed and feather that throttle. If it catches on the compression stroke 1 or 2 times, i end up with hamburger hand, and a real case of the nasties until the sting goes away.. I will try to get into it and lube it up first i guess.. Thanks man..

SCRAMCHARGER318
11-24-2008, 01:00 PM
once i had gotten my pullstart full of mud and it did not work correctly, also heres how pull start something with compression, pull the cord just until it hits compression, once you done that do not pull it out any further, let it recoil back in and then you should be able to get a nice stroke and use your arms momentum to over come the compression, i'm a righty so i always stand sideways with the bike, pull with the right, and give it sum throttle with the left.

FireboyTwister
11-24-2008, 04:48 PM
My 200 is sometimes a beast to start. I took the compression release cable off. It was getting in the way and kept ripping the starter cord from my hand. I never start it without a glove on any more. Also What Scramcharger said, pull it out until it catches then let it go back in and pull it out again until it catches, then crank on it.

Might also want to check your oil. If you're not getting enough lubrication it's going to be hard to turn it over.

dickieg89
11-24-2008, 10:56 PM
my 84 is cold blooded as well. I rebuilt the recoil back a couple years ago as well as the carb, that seemed to help. A shot of eyther usually does the trick, but a cold start with no eyther will separate the shoulder trying to start the thing.