PDA

View Full Version : New 200S engine went from non-broken in condition to WOT!

350Kris
11-24-2008, 12:00 AM
This is kinda funny now that I am past the anger I had for myself that day. Here is the story... I was given a free 84 200S about 7 years ago. I rebuilt it in my apartment in about a years time (was my first project and I was very ignorant). After the rebuild I never got it running - it sat in a shop and at my parent's house for the next 6 years. Well, I just got it to my house in Texas this year. I never was able to get it running because my decompression lever does not make contact with the valve lifter (I need to add material to the lobe).

Anyway, I got some Engine Start the other day and just pulled the heck out of it...almost pulled my arm out of socket. I didn't mention this, but this thing has a Wiseco 10:1 compression piston in it and, of course, a fresh bore. Enter the stupidity...as I was pulling the heck out of it all of sudden it fired up!! In gear!! I didn't have my idle screw anywhere near right and I also had the throttle adjuster screw on the throttle too rich. The engine went to WOT immediately (in 1st) and it took off...ran up the wall, flipped over, and spun around on it's side until I killed it at the kill switch. It was running for the first time at WOT on a fresh engine for less than 30 seconds. Here is my question:

Does anyone think that running it this way by accident caused any damage to the fresh engine???

I fired it up again today (after toning down the throttle) and it sounded good other than an exhaust leak. It started on the first pull. I ran it for about a minute and then shut it down. I need to get an exhaust gasket for it (the one that goes between the header pipe and the muffler). I didn't hear any weird knocks or anything. I didn't ride it.

What are your opinions?

350Kris
11-24-2008, 01:43 AM
Anyone? :)

gravelyman
11-24-2008, 01:48 AM
no you didnt hurt it. It will be just fine. get all your little things fixed heat cycle it a few times then progressively ride it harder and harder letting it cool between rides here is some good information on how to "properly break in an engine"

www.ctracing.com/pro-x.htm

Buster Brown
11-24-2008, 02:53 AM
Gravelyman's right don't be sick over it. Yes, maybe not a text book break in LOL:lol: , but hell it'll be fine!;) I to in my younger days (teens) would've lost sleep over little things like this, but it makes a great story and a life long memory. We've all been there. Have fun! :) -Andy

350Kris
11-24-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks guys. I have learned a heck of a lot since I began this hobby back 7 years ago, but I am STILL learning and always will be. :) I'll get pics up once she's done.

oscarmayer
11-24-2008, 09:32 AM
yea it's fine. once you heat cycle it a couple of times, it's ok to occasionally "blip" the throttle up some to help seat the rings.

350Kris
11-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Does anyone follow the hard break-in advice from that engine guy?

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

The Goat
11-24-2008, 12:02 PM
Okay here's the deal, your piston heats up and expands at twice the rate of your cylinder. It's always a good idea to do a warm up.

SYKO
11-24-2008, 12:36 PM
lol! I did that to a old 200sx rebuild, I put the slide in backwards on the carb (so it was near wide open all the way down ! LOL)

hit the starter and VRRRROOOOOMMMM!!! off I went! (no kill on handlebars!) took out some bushes scraped the side of my shed and finaly pulled the plug wire off....

rode the piss out of it for a year then sold it and its still getting the piss ridden out of it.

honda_atc200es
11-25-2008, 12:27 AM
im curious about the best way to brake in my new topend. i mean its a 20 year old engine and its not a motorcycle, so would the 2 stroke break in recomendations roughly apply to my 4 stroke engine?

diesel
11-25-2008, 12:38 PM
lol! I did that to a old 200sx rebuild, I put the slide in backwards on the carb (so it was near wide open all the way down ! LOL)

hit the starter and VRRRROOOOOMMMM!!! off I went! (no kill on handlebars!) took out some bushes scraped the side of my shed and finaly pulled the plug wire off....

rode the piss out of it for a year then sold it and its still getting the piss ridden out of it.

I did the same thing on a 200x, slide in backwards. No parking brake, so the bike was in first, pull the clutch, kicked it and it fired, Totally forgot it was in gear, and let go of the clutch really quick. I came off the bike, it wheelied right into my pickup truck.

cost me about 400 bucks to repair the truck, and a hard lesson learned.