PDA

View Full Version : Just rebuilt 350X Hard starting question

Ripcity1
06-28-2003, 11:44 PM
I purchased this 86 350X a couple months ago for 500.00. Before I bought it the previos owner said it started hard. Well he did get it started and I got to ride it before I bought it. It was a restoration project. I completly disassembled it, painted frame, the complete work over. I had Parkers ATV completely rebuild the engine even though it really did not need it. The shop said it looked really good on the inside. I had them install a new 10.25:1 Wisco piston, new valve job and re-seal it. I dis-assembled the carb and cleaned it and blew it out with compressed air. Well today I finally got it all together and the damn thing will not start. It will fire and bounce over but not start. I pulled the plug and it was dry. Then re-try and same thing. I tapped on the bottom of the carb to see if the needle was stuck. About the 5th time I pulled the plug it started to show signs of getting fuel but obviously not enough. What do I need to do. It obvious still has the same problem as the previous owner had.
Wondering if I should just get a diffrent carb? What do you guys think?

JayP
06-28-2003, 11:52 PM
first is fuel getting through the petcock to the carb?

If you put a little gas in the cylinder will it fire a little?

Ripcity1
06-29-2003, 12:13 AM
yes I am getting fuel to the carb I pulled the fuel line at the carb to make sure and I get a good stream. Yes if I prime it, it will fire for a milli second.

JayP
06-29-2003, 12:45 AM
Well it sounds like you are on the right track, definitely something wrong in the carb. Do you have a manual? Quite possible that someone else reassembled it wrong or left somethings out. I would disassemble it completely and make sure it is all together right.

If you dont have a manual go to partsfish.com and get the schematic to help with assembly.

Jay

350x'inNY
07-03-2003, 09:59 PM
Umm... this may be off track, but let me tell you a story about my 350X

I took it to a local shop a couple months afteer I bought it to put a new clutch in it. When they put it back together, they said they had problems starting it. I went over there, and sure enough, I wore my leg out with no results for my effort. Needless to say I was :evil: ... I told them that "If it started that hard, don'tcha think I'd be more concerned about that??" Well, they swore that nothing they did replacing the clutch would effect it. They then went and checked the iginition system, cleaned out the carb, checked the valves, pulled apart the gas valve-peacock and said it all looked clean. They were sure it was some electrical part inside that went 'faulty' when the bike was drained. I told them they were on crack and took it home for labor day weekend to do some riding. Had to put in 3rd gear and push it and start it that way.. kinda a pain in the arse... especially in the wooods!.

My neighbor has a 350X so I went and looked at his... the guy who put my bike back together had the decompression piece on the shaft 180º off. So basically when I was kicking it over, it was under compression initially, then at the power/end of the kick it was decompressing. Needless to say, I didn't pay them for all their 'fuel system and iginition' work, nor for them to tear down my bike to get the decompression sys to work right. They said my piece was 'double marked' at the factory so they mistakenly put it in wrong. :rolleyes: The next week I bought a Honda Service manual and haven't taken it but to my shop here on the farm!

Wierd thing to find out... can't hurt to double check yours. Kick it over slowly and watch the decompression valve/cable at top of your motor.

LaTER
Bruce

350x'inNY
07-07-2003, 11:43 PM
Any new news??? :?: Bruce

Ripcity1
07-08-2003, 12:53 AM
You the man Bruce! Exactly what was wrong I pull started it and it fired right up. Then I disconected the decompression cable and kickstarted it and the second kick it fired right up. So thanks to you I enjoyed my newly rebuilt 350X over the holiday weekend. So many thanks ! I have an appointment with the shop and they will correct it.