PDA

View Full Version : Getting rust out of a gas tank?

daniel_250r
11-18-2008, 11:13 PM
hi there, i recently bought my atc 250r, the gas tank has lots of rust inside mainly at the bottom of it. what i am wondering is there any sort of house hold chemical that will remove the rust? clr? all help appreciated thank you!

200x350x
11-18-2008, 11:36 PM
you can buy a kit to clean and seal your tank from any motorcycle shop

Sly'85
11-19-2008, 02:35 AM
There's this stuff called evapo-rust that is non toxic and doesn't eat your paint. I havn't used it yet but I will in the next few weeks. You can use a treatment afterwards to continue protecting the tank too. You can get it at autozone for cheap, like $10 for a jug of it.

ATC-Eric
11-19-2008, 02:49 AM
Try some toilet bowl cleaner, with some bb's inside.

My brother used that method on his R tank, worked pretty good.

you need to coat it, or do something with it afterwords, well he let his set empty, and it rusted back again. Maybe full of gas will do the trick......

88 Turbo Coupe
11-19-2008, 05:59 AM
Muriatic acid, pea gravel, then coat it!

BLUE72CAMARO
11-19-2008, 12:24 PM
I took the tank off of my 185s to the car wash and stuck the high pressure nozzle around in there for a few minutes to get all the loose stuff out, then went and bought some redkote gas tank sealer from my buddies autoparts store and sealed it following the directions on it and it worked great!

daniel_250r
11-19-2008, 05:13 PM
i have access to a sand blaster good idea? but i need to get the fuel filter out of the drain does it pull out?

Blown 331
11-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Muriatic acid, pea gravel, then coat it!

I tried that on 2 of my ATC200 tanks and they pretty much desinigrated (sp?). I'll grab a pic of the one, it pretty much just a pile of rust! It will take a completely rusted tank back to bare metal but you can't stop there. I guess coating is a must.

88 Turbo Coupe
11-19-2008, 06:21 PM
You got to coat it like i said. I will start to rust very quickly after you neutralize the acid. If your tank disintegrated it was shot already. Did it eat through the tank?

ghost civic
11-19-2008, 09:45 PM
i had a sim problem with a 71 yamaha enduro bike. there was so much rust that the fuel filter was getting clogged.
i bought some navel jelly. it eats rust, and is simi liquid. i poured it in, put the cap on and kept turning the tank all around to get the jelly all over the inside of the tank.
i repeated this 3 times, then rinsed the tank out really well.
the tank still looked alittle rusty, but it wasnt breaking off and mixxing with the gas anymore. no more clogged filter.