PDA

View Full Version : Raptor 660 shock on tecate 3

Tecate250
11-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Well I picked up a craptor shock and the res bottle hose is only 4 inches long. There are a few ways Im thinking of mounting it. But can I remove the 4 inch hose and add a longer one? When I do this will I have recharge the shock with oil and nitrogen? Pics will be posted soon.

Tecate250
12-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Well for those of you who need a rear shock for your tecate 3 here is something to think about. This is the raptor 660 rear shock that everyone talks about. And this is the problem.
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll148/Tecate250/IMG_1440.jpg
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll148/Tecate250/IMG_1441.jpg
I am using a backwards Tecate 4 rear brake set up. I think I am going to mount it to the back of the master cylinder so I will not have to modify the shock. So it will be a bolt on set up. Any ideas?

fabiodriven
12-13-2008, 12:40 PM
I couldn't tell by the pics what the pproblem was, what exactly is going on?

the tecate kid
12-13-2008, 06:48 PM
should've put a yfz 450 shock on it. No remote resy. It is mounted to the shock body itself. I mounted mine upside down. Had to cut an inch off of the shock mounting tab and redrill a mounting hole. Then extend my linkage another inch, but I gained 3 more inches of usable travel. Not to mention very plush.

Meat-BoX
12-13-2008, 08:06 PM
Yea I did that and bungy corded it to the swinger untill it allmost ended up in my sprocket, Shaved the nozzle right off inside the rear sprocket. If it got in there I would of stopped on a dime and the bottle would of blew:wondering . I dumped that for an 300 EX rear shock last winter and it is way Sweet!:w00t: So smooth so nice:drool: Easy to install. Cheap, mine was like 70 bucks and it was seriously allmost brand new. Maybe lucky, but I saw alot of them on E-Bay so you can choose a nice one with in two weeks. I kind of like the red spring in there with all that Green and Purple anyways and I see you same color scheme.

Raptor shock was stiff as hell for me to and could only be adjusted out of the trike to get a full proper setup, plus the bottle issue. Not even worth it, trust me..
Go with a 300 EX shock . :beer
I got a couple of pics when I installed it for last winters Ice Racing but for some reason they became 7kb so they are small. I kind of like the red spring in there with all that Green and Purple. Maybe they can be made bigger but I dont know.

Oh yea the pics are with a few inches cut out of the rear dogbone and dropped for the ice. 3 inches was way to much and made the ass end super soft and hit the 18's. Gonna take an inch this time.

nd4speed
12-14-2008, 02:05 AM
Um why can't you strap the rezzie to the dogbone? (OH it does look too short)

300ex shock is not cool if you ask me. I think the LT250R shock would be better and easier.

Did you say the raptor shock was longer?

Tecate 50
12-14-2008, 05:20 AM
Call it a day a get a 300ex shock....

Meat-BoX
12-14-2008, 06:40 AM
Pics so small they are invisible. yea just go with the 300ex shock. I installed mine in less than an hour drilling out one mount. Its in there it works so there for its good:welcome:

boosted96cobra
12-14-2008, 07:14 AM
IMO the 300ex shock is worthless, been there done that. I ride sand with this bike and with that shock and the whoops it was horrible. Nothing like racing up the shoots in the whoops and going to sit down and the seat is gone from all the bumps.

The raptop shock is way way better if you take some time to adjust it. Sorry this picture is blurry but it was the best I could do to show you how mine is mounted. Turning it over will give you alot more options.

Tecate250
12-14-2008, 11:21 AM
I was thinking of turning it over but I will need to remove my usless air box. I really want to remove it but I live in a wet area and still want 1 out of 2 bike that can go anywhere any time. I paid a bit for this shock and this is the popular shock mod for this bike.

3Razors
12-14-2008, 01:42 PM
The 300EX shock is the easy one to use but the 2001 Raptor is a much superior unit. I myself am studying options for the 86 Tecate restore I am doing. The stock tecate rear shock even when rebuilt just dont hold up! Late model warrior is another possibility as it has the long resevior line.

For the 84-85 the Banshee one is a good option, just have to flip it upside down. You can still you the stock tecate airbox too.

the tecate kid
12-14-2008, 09:06 PM
Banshee shock?!! Have you ever tried to motocross a banshee? No different than riding a pogo stick. The same as the 300 ex shock. You are using outdated technology there. Both machines date back to the 80s!" the 250X" Isnt the whole point here to upgrade your suspension action? There is no adjustability on either of those units. The raptor is slightly better but not much. Maybe if you ride on fireroads or sand. Get a real shock from any of the new 450 quads, make it work. Your back will thank you later.

Tecate250
12-14-2008, 10:12 PM
Well I hate the stock Tecate air box. Honda and Yamaha have that over Kawasaki on the air box design. I have 3 air boxes and want to make it easier to get at the filter. Does it matter if you flip the shock upside down?

boosted96cobra
12-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Why would it matter? From my experience with most bikes, you have it in upside down.

3Razors
12-14-2008, 10:42 PM
Banshee shock?!! Have you ever tried to motocross a banshee? No different than riding a pogo stick. The same as the 300 ex shock. You are using outdated technology there. Both machines date back to the 80s!" the 250X" Isnt the whole point here to upgrade your suspension action? There is no adjustability on either of those units. The raptor is slightly better but not much. Maybe if you ride on fireroads or sand. Get a real shock from any of the new 450 quads, make it work. Your back will thank you later.

Banshee shock works just fine in my 84 Tecate and there is no pogo action at all. And banshee unit has both compression and rebound adjustability along with infinite number of shock springs. You have to understand you cant just grab any shock off the shelf from a 450 quad and put it on there. All 450 shocks use a "clevis" mount on the bottom and all have fixed reseviors on top. The tecate has very virtually no room to accomodate that without serious mods.

Here is a pic of the Banshee shock on mine. The only drawback I see is that I lost .5 inch of travel.

cr480r
12-14-2008, 11:57 PM
You guys can put a longer hose on the rezzie...

Meat-BoX
12-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Ok heres how I looked at my Situation. It goes with this thread. I was like "O MY" look at what I have now what do I do? then I proceded to fumble around with that shock till it almost killed me because I didnt want to spend more time and money trying to figure out that bottle problem.

So I spent around $80 on an 300EX rear shock that came out of an 06 and just put it in there and went riding. Handles jumps and bumps just fine.Yea maybe its not the best shock but im not planning on racing my trike in any motocross events and it sure rides nice for me. so I guess it depends on just how bad you want to deal with the res and do you think you will need more shock than what they put on a great all around trail quad.
I learned that easier is sometimes "Easier" and alot less expensive and lasts longer.
:acr out

boosted96cobra
12-15-2008, 11:43 PM
My opinion is this....these tecates are not like a 200x or something, they flat out fly, and you need the suspension to keep up with it. My tecate is long and that may have been what made the 300x shock so bad. It sat too high and was way to stiff. When your out riding the sand you want to be limited by the power not the suspension.

My first time out on the tecate I was limited by the 300ex shock, the next time I was limited by the power and my ability, which was ALOT more fun!

Whatever shock fits your riding style is fine. Both shocks I have (300ex and raptor) cost me the same amount. Don't limit your fun because you can't take 3 more minutes and tighten 2 hose clamps down. I already posted a picture of a good mounting point.

cr480r
12-16-2008, 01:24 AM
My opinion is this....these tecates are not like a 200x or something, they flat out fly...

you should put that in your sig...:naughty:

the tecate kid
12-16-2008, 10:22 AM
Quote of the month right there boys!

Tecate250
12-18-2008, 06:25 PM
haha Yeah. I am trying to build a racer. But slowly. I still drive mine. I just keep getting bolt on mods for it. I will use the craptor shock and try it up side down. Anyone ever make a different air box for the tecates?

Tecate250
01-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Heres a stupid question. I have heard of gas shocks with the bottle. But my raptor 660 shock does not have a nipple to put air in it. And I bumped the banjo bolt and lost some oil. Is the craptor shocks just have oil in the resy?

2quicktecate
01-26-2009, 08:04 PM
i have a 300ex on mine, it is ok but i wouldn't say great... have been looking for an elka or works 300 shock

sblt500r
01-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Heres a stupid question. I have heard of gas shocks with the bottle. But my raptor 660 shock does not have a nipple to put air in it. And I bumped the banjo bolt and lost some oil. Is the craptor shocks just have oil in the resy?

if the 660 is like the warrior shock, the rezzie is filled with nitro at the factory and sealed. making the shock nonservicable. you have to buy a bladder kit for the rezzie to be able to refill them. or you can put a rezzie from another shock on there.

Tecate250
01-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Cool. That is what I wanted to know. Are filling the bottles hard if you can get nitro?

Tecate250
04-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Bump. After years of abuse my raptor shock failed. Actually the banjo bolt loosend off. So I was wondering. I have a old shock with a rezzy and a line that will allow me to mount the ressy in the stock location. I have the shock off the bike and wanted to know how I can fill the shock up and use another ressy? I dont have pics now but will later when i go out to the shed. Any ideas? Or mabey new shocks?

Tecate250
04-13-2011, 05:26 PM
As stated above. Here is my plan to modify a craptor shock and fit it with a longer hose. But I found a major plug in the hose by were its crimped. Here are some pics of the craptor shock tore down and the new ressy bottle beside it. Any one know how much oil is in a craptor 660 rear shock?
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll148/Tecate250/IMG_3252.jpg
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll148/Tecate250/IMG_3251.jpg

Kfx-xc-racer88
04-14-2011, 07:41 AM
It isnt that expensive to get a new longer braided pipe made up!!

Tecate250
04-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Why spend money when i have the parts to fix it.