PDA

View Full Version : Going to look at a 250sx

Twilight
11-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Guy here is selling one for 350, needs front tire and starter as electric start doesnt work. If its running, is this a fair price? Plastics are good, shifts good he says, and seat is wasted and needs recovering... rest ofbike is good, said it will kick start but then said hopefully. .. =\

Looks to be a 1985. So with all machines I look at, I ask these:

Parts- They seem easy to get still
Compression- Can anyone tell me the good compression on a engine

What should I check? What could be bad, any frame weak spots? Tell all please =):TrikesOwn

Twilight
11-10-2008, 11:45 PM
Nobody at all?

Twilight
11-10-2008, 11:51 PM
Thanks =) Sadly with the shot tire I wont be able to drive it around probably.. Im about a 2 hour drive to and back from him so it might be dark when im there. He doesnt know what it is basically. He jsut said its a 250, no chain driven, mudflaps... and from there I figured 250sx. He threw the price out there so im gonna go from there.

Twilight
11-11-2008, 01:09 AM
Any other words of wisdom?

200xman
11-11-2008, 07:34 AM
They are great trail bikes. Lots of parts available and fairly easy to work on. The weak points are the shifter return pin/ shifter shaft, one way clutch and electric starter gears. Mine was a little small for me so I sold it and am more comfortable on my 85 Big Red but I'm 6'4". The 85's had driveshaft sealing issues so make sure the boot going from the angle drive to the driveshaft tube is in good shape.

Twilight
11-11-2008, 10:14 PM
I went to go look at it, it wont kick start because the gear is messed up, and the electric start is messed up too. bump starting worked great, took one push and it started. Doesnt need much appearance wise... so im wondering.

Still worth it?

Twilight
11-12-2008, 11:20 PM
bump for the day time

Twilight
11-14-2008, 01:26 AM
this is my last bump, please tell me if this sounds like a good deal or no, and if anyone has info on how hard a kicker replacement and electric start to fix on one of these?

Sly'85
11-14-2008, 01:57 AM
I picked a running '85 250sx for a hundred bucks. It has some issues as well but sounds like it is in better shape than what you are looking at getting. If it's a '85 250 he's selling, I would pick it up, these are great trikes. But with the issues that are goin on with it though, I wouldn't pay more than $200. By the time you buy all the parts to fix it and spend the time on it you may have been able to buy one with little to no issues for the same price off of craigslist or somewhere else. I would look around a little, if he is willing to wait, and see what else is out there in your price range.

Twilight
11-14-2008, 02:48 AM
Thanks for the OM, I've done the 200x bike, not too good with all the quad abused trails where I ride. My 86 200x was a blast. Did you see the ad for the 250sx? I dunno if he pulled it or not, but when I first went to see it I was in awe, it was immaculate looks wise.

Been looking here for 2 years for a 250sx, first a 86, it sold for 200 and was gone 5min before I got there. Then after that a 87, 2 85's and now this one, almost all were in need of great help and sold quickly.

I dunno, I know the minute I get her home I will look on craigslist and see one, lol

cybrman
11-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Sounds to me like you really want it. Go get it! $350 for a runner that "looks" good is not a bad deal in my book.