PDA

View Full Version : honda 84' 200s top end job question.

MonkOFox
11-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Ok, I have the gaskets back on and the jug,valve body, and valve cover back on, but when I put the chain back on, all I did is turn it until I hit TDS. Is this all I would need to do? Or do I even need to do that since there is only 1 piston?

Thanks,

Justin

tbirdscott
11-10-2008, 08:47 PM
You need to find the "T" on the flywheel (remove the plug between the recoil and cylinder to find it) and center it in the hole then line up the marks on the camshaft (lobes down) then you install the timing chain and gear. Unlike a 2-stroke you have two different TDC's

And the 'valve body' is called the cylinder head, valve bodies are for auto transmissions ;)

Scott

MonkOFox
11-12-2008, 11:20 AM
cool, sorry about the bad terminology, just didnt know what it was called, so I assumed it was the valve body (with out a head :)). anyways thanks for the info,
I have a clymer's manuel coming in, so maybe that with be a supplement as well.

Thanks again,

Justin

MonkOFox
11-12-2008, 12:10 PM
are there actual marks on the cam that you line up? on each lobe?
also it says there are marks on (around the cdi thing) that you line the cam sprocket up to "T" and "O" and then again you have to line the knotches up on the pulse rotor.

besides puttin on the o rings and etc, is that all you have to do?

Thanks,

Justin

350Kris
11-12-2008, 03:12 PM
tbirdscott --- I have a similar problem...my 200S won't start. I lined up the "T" mark and then made sure the "O" mark on the cam sprocket was lined up, as well. Are you saying the I could have that 180 deg opposite? Could you explain how that could happen if the "O" and "T" marks are lined up? Should the cam be positioned a certain way when I put it back in? Thanks!

Erics350x
11-12-2008, 07:56 PM
the valves should be closed at tdc (lobes down) if not you are 180 off. also make sure the pin in the cam doesn't fall out, it turns the cdi

350Kris
11-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Sounds good...one question though...the lobes are interposing, which one needs to be down? Sorry for my ignorance. I just want to be sure.

cybrman
11-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Both lobes should be down. (They will be off to the side a bit not directly down)

Not sure how it is on the 200s (haven't had the opportunity yet)
On my 250sx the cam gear has two marks on it...one at 3 and the other at 9. At Top Dead Center these marks should line up with the top of the head (where the valve cover meets the head) and the lobes should be down on the cam.

350Kris
11-13-2008, 02:20 PM
It makes sense now.......I took a hard look at my manual and saw that both lobes should point somewhat down when the cam sprocket mark (O) and "T" mark are lined up. The weird thing is that the manual never mentioned that you have to the cam aligned a certain way. I can see where you could have it 180 deg. opposite.