PDA

View Full Version : 200m hard on Plugs From Rusty Tank?

Gearheadtom
11-09-2008, 01:27 PM
I have a 200m that is very hard on plugs, one about every ride. The engine does not appear to be running rich, no black smoke when I rev it, and it only burns a bit of oil when I first start from oil leaking by the valves. The gas tank does have a bit of rust inside it, which has gotten into the gas, giving the gas an orange tint. I have drained the tank and put in fresh gas a couple times, with very little difference. Would this be causing the spark plug problem, or would it be something else?

Dirtcrasher
11-09-2008, 02:06 PM
A rusty tank can cause a lean condition and I always run fuel filters even on a spotless plastic tank. Garbage always seems to make it's way in there!

As for your plugs whats happening to them? are they losing spark or something? not black though? 4 stroke plugs seem to last forever............

Gearheadtom
11-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Usualy all what happens is the engine won't idle, but if I put in a new plug it idles fine. The plugs I take out are black and sooty, like the engine is running rich, but when I rev it the engine somtimes will die like it is lean, and the times it does rev, there is no black smoke.