PDA

View Full Version : 250 SX hubs won't budge

slow200s
11-08-2008, 09:43 PM
I was working on tearing down my 250sx so that I could give it a fresh coat of paint, bearings, and a little attention before I start riding it. I ran into a little problem when I tried to remove the rear hubs. I have tried wheel pullers, heat, and penetrating oil, even all at once. No movement of the hub at all yet.

Any suggestion?
thanks

slow200s
11-09-2008, 10:09 AM
I had so much pressure on the puller I had to use a cheater to tighten it anymore and it is starting to bend the wheel stud tabs, as for heat I was using mapp gas and heating it when the puller was on and everything.
I will try it again...

Dirtcrasher
11-09-2008, 12:04 PM
I had a REAL tight one onetime....

I took a flat bar 1/2" thick and 1" wide and drilled 2 holes in to fit over the lug studs. Then I drilled a center hole in it and tapped that hole 1/2-13.

I bolted onto the hub and tightened the center bolt with an airgun and it popped off.

You could weld a 1/2-13 nut (has a 3/4 outside dimension) onto the plate and get the same result.....

slow200s
11-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Update: I was able to remove the hubs and the axle.
There was a lot of water in that axle housing, so all the bearings were frozen to either their housing or the hubs.
So a few bent hub tabs later I am able to replace the axle bearings and the differential bearings.