PDA

View Full Version : Back to Trikes; 250sx tensioner/timing chain

cybrman
11-02-2008, 11:43 AM
This morning I'm sitting here reading all of the speculation on the election and the collapse of the American economy. My mood instantly grows sour and I get ready to fire off some meaningless retort and it occurs to me....what were my intentions when I clicked on my Favorite/Bookmark to come to the site? I was wanting to see the latest updates on builds and things relating to trikes, maybe find a nice deal in the classifieds near me, or check in with the next ride thread.....
I could go on and on about my beliefs, debate morals and ethical issues all day long but I don't come here for that I come here for trikes and so I have decided to focus my attention more on things relating to trikes.

On that note:

I am having an issue with my 250sx at the moment regarding the timing chain tensioner. I can't seem to get it to "stay" adjusted correctly. It makes a sound somewhat like valve noise. I took off the tensioner and made sure it was going all the way out and it looked like it was working fine. Put it back on and the engine sounds great. "Oh good I fixed it" Rode it around the back yard and stopped (can here it at idle, higher rpms drown it out) and boom its back again. Ugh.
I did this twice and even "added" a custom extension to make it longer by 1/8 of inch or so. Same result sounds great and then I ride it and its back. It has to do with the load on the engine I guess.
Do these chains reach a point where they just keep stretching?

(Obviously I need a new one since I'm past the point of extension on the tensioner, but figured it was worth a shot.)

:TrikesOwn

Dirtcrasher
11-02-2008, 12:55 PM
I've seen a few that the tensioner guides are so worn that no matter how much you push on it, it's still noisy. The chain does stretch over time too....