PDA

View Full Version : New clutch springs out of spec?

250rAL
10-31-2008, 03:14 AM
I'm putting a new OEM clutch in my R and the new springs I just got are below the wear limit of 45mm. They come in at 43mm,slightly longer than the original springs I just took out. I'm putting them in anyway because I don't think it's going to matter but shouldn't they be closer to the standard measurement of 47mm? On a similar note, the new steel plates I got are a couple thousands thinner the the 23 year old plates I just removed.

88 Turbo Coupe
10-31-2008, 05:04 AM
Did you buy the clutch from Honda?

1upfront
10-31-2008, 08:19 AM
Also what brand of springs are they?

nd4speed
10-31-2008, 12:43 PM
I used to work in a spring factory and from what I heard about OEM suppliers, tolerances are not going to be that tight. Springs naturally vary off the coiler and then at the grinder they try to grind them to one height, but there are too many variables.

The springs will probably lose some height after use, but really they last an incredibly long time.

250rAL
10-31-2008, 08:25 PM
Also what brand of springs are they?

All Honda OEM parts.

I got it all back together and it works OK but it feels like a waste of money for the springs since they're virtually the same as what they replaced.

DeePa
10-31-2008, 08:28 PM
just cause they are the same size doesnt mean they arent stronger than the old worn oem ones

nd4speed
10-31-2008, 08:59 PM
I also if they were heat set they may have been heat set to the wrong height and load. If they are heat set they will not sag (lose length) nearly as much. But they never heat set clutch springs where I worked.

If you have ever seen Pro Circuits' 4 stroke clutch and valve springs then that is what I used to work on. Those are good springs (I helped machine thousands of them).

deathman53
10-31-2008, 11:23 PM
I replaced the clutch in my ktm200exc, aftermarket plates/metal and oem springs. The springs were almost exact as the 11 yr old ones, but the new ones were far stiffer. I'm suprised you didn't go with cr500 springs, they are longer and stiffer, I use them on my 250r's. I replaced the clutch on my crf450r hybrid, same thing, springs were nearly the same, but the new ones were much stiffer.

88 Turbo Coupe
11-01-2008, 06:56 AM
Is there a tool to measure spring tension? I mean is the manufacturing process so exact that all springs are created equal?

SWIGIN
11-01-2008, 07:24 AM
All Honda OEM parts.

I got it all back together and it works OK but it feels like a waste of money for the springs since they're virtually the same as what they replaced.

length is no big deal, clamping pressure is.

i use a bathroom scale on my shop press to test clutch/valve springs and most atv springs are in the 50 pound range at instaled hight.

HD aftermarket springs are 75 pounds, and i tested some 12 year old barnett springs to see how weak they get.......73 pounds

if you wanted to feel a difference you should of gone with after market springs, barnetts are only $11-$15

nd4speed
11-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Is there a tool to measure spring tension? I mean is the manufacturing process so exact that all springs are created equal?

Like he said. You measure load at the installed height and there are ways and scales to do this out there. Like I said. The manufacturing is anything but exact.

Also mentioned was that fact the springs only lost 2 pounds of load, which backs up my point of that springs (if made of good steel) last an incredibly long time especially when bathed in oil. Load loss is inevitable and 2 pounds does not sound far out of an acceptable range to me.

I got Barnetts in a kit and they looked like crap and they varied a lot in free length and the ends weren't flat so I just ground them down till they were even. Could even be done on a bench to grinder. The key is not to burn them (overheat) and keep the ends flat.

250rAL
11-02-2008, 10:28 AM
I didn't want any more clutch pull than stock. That's part of the reason I went with stock springs. In any case, I'm still glad I got the clutch replaced. Even if it didn't need replacing, now I know it's good for a long time to come.

SWIGIN
11-02-2008, 10:39 AM
the secret to HD springs is to get a easy pull lever or even a cr250 perch and lever...it will pull easier then the old stock atc combo.